sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 16, 2024 8:03 pm  #1

Could Spotify Be Forced To Play 35% CanCon? Americans Are Worried

There's new consternation in the U.S., as the CRTC slowly winds its way through the Online Streaming Act to see what changes will need to be made in this country to fulfill its provisions.

A group of bipartisan American Congress members have written a letter the U.S. Trade Representative, worried that the provisions of the new law in Canada could try to force streaming music services like Spotify or Apple Music to play the required Canadian content. And they're also concerned about those services being forced to pay out money to support artists here, even if those artists never appear on the services' playlists. 

“We are concerned that under the new law, Canada will apply the logic of quotas designed for terrestrial broadcasters to modern music streaming services. Global online streaming services are not the same as domestic broadcasters, and we believe these provisions clearly discriminate against American content, interfere with consumer choice, and harm American artists and rights holders.”

And they accuse Canada's Broadcasting Act of being something from a "different era" that may no longer apply today.

It's the latest chapter in a dizzying array of possible changes that may not be fully clear until the CRTC finishes finalizing everything in 2026. 

Members of Congress say Canada’s online streaming act discriminates against Americans

May 16, 2024 8:07 pm  #2

Re: Could Spotify Be Forced To Play 35% CanCon? Americans Are Worried

No; that would be impossible.

May 16, 2024 8:18 pm  #3

The real story is who's paying for this bullshit? When that is determined, then the 'why' part should become obvious.

May 17, 2024 11:01 am  #4

I don't use either service but this makes no sense. To my limited knowledge, a Spotify membership grants access to their vast library but I get to choose what I want to hear and when. I also have the ability to create my own playlist. If I make a ten song playlist, three songs will randomly be replaced by CanCon?

Though I can't really argue with the Broadcast Act being from another era angle, the whole idea just reeks of "'Murica!"

May 17, 2024 3:54 pm  #5

Perhaps Canadian artists will be more prominently displayed on the Spotify site. Whether I choose to explore this area should be my decision. This is why I mainly listen to U.S. classic rock stations. Yes they do play Canadian artists, because they want to, not because they have to.

May 17, 2024 4:20 pm  #6

mace wrote:

Perhaps Canadian artists will be more prominently displayed on the Spotify site. Whether I choose to explore this area should be my decision. This is why I mainly listen to U.S. classic rock stations. Yes they do play Canadian artists, because they want to, not because they have to.

Hey, they're currently at 50% for a non logged-in account

[img][/img]