sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 26, 2024 3:16 pm  #1

Is Sauga960 Breaking The Law By Airing This?

What could such a small station do that breaks any laws? It possibly involves one of its hosts.

Brian Crombie is the ex-husband of Bonnie Crombie, the former mayor of Mississauga. On Wednesday, Crombie officially threw his hat in the ring to replace his now divorced wife at City Hall, joining a roster of almost 20 other candidates. 

Fair enough. But Mr. Crombie also has an hourly show that airs every weeknight at 6 PM on Sauga960, with a repeat at 6 the next morning.

If I'm not mistaken (and I hope someone will correct me if I am) the rules state that once you officially register your intention to run for office, you are ethically required to cease any radio or media commitments, in order not to give any candidate an unfair advantage. Yet when I was tuning by Sauga960 on Friday, I stopped for a second and heard them running a promo for his show. It's OK to buy ad time to get noticed, but to continue with your own daily show? I think that may violate election law.

Technically, I believe he should no longer be on the air. Whether they comply with that rule or not for municipal votes, I have no idea, but he should in good conscience remove himself from the show immediately until after the election.

CFRB has already dropped Dipka Demerlla as a regular on its Round Tables at 7:45 and 8:45 AM weekdays, after she also confirmed she was going for the top job. 

Will Sauga960 do the same thing? If not, do they have to give equal time to all the other candidates? 

Again, I'm not sure what the law is, but this is something I've always seen happen during every election when a media person is involved. Shouldn't CKNT be required to do the same thing?

April 26, 2024 3:24 pm  #2

Re: Is Sauga960 Breaking The Law By Airing This?

I'm not fully aware either, but I think there is an equal time law, which means that for every block of time one runner gets, everyone else is offered equal air time. 

The difference here is, it's an actual show, not a visit to someone's show. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 26, 2024 3:29 pm  #3

Right, so he should recuse himself from hosting his show until the election is over. If he wins, he has a new job. If he loses, he can potentially resume his hosting duties. But giving him 6 hours of free airtime a week until the polls open seems like an unfair advantage, even if there's a relatively small audience. 

Unless, of course, he's paying for the airtime, in which case that needs to be disclosed on every broadcast.

April 26, 2024 4:11 pm  #4

From the CRTC

On-air personalities who become electoral candidatesOn-air personalities who become electoral candidates, whether they are employed on radio, television or community channels, even if their exposure is solely in the role of commercial announcer, have an unfair advantage over their opponents.These candidates should be removed from their on-air duties during the election period or on the date their candidacies are announced, whichever is later. Offering a similar on-air opportunity to an on-air candidate’s opponents is no longer an option.

Last edited by pinto (April 26, 2024 4:11 pm)

April 26, 2024 4:13 pm  #5

pinto wrote:

From the CRTC

On-air personalities who become electoral candidatesOn-air personalities who become electoral candidates, whether they are employed on radio, television or community channels, even if their exposure is solely in the role of commercial announcer, have an unfair advantage over their opponents.These candidates should be removed from their on-air duties during the election period or on the date their candidacies are announced, whichever is later. Offering a similar on-air opportunity to an on-air candidate’s opponents is no longer an option.

"Should"

April 26, 2024 4:17 pm  #6

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/industr/tvradio/guidelec.htm

pinto is correct.  RA make a complaint to the CRTC!

April 26, 2024 4:20 pm  #7

I'm going to check at 6 PM to see if he's still on as scheduled. 

April 26, 2024 4:21 pm  #8

Nothing will happen. CRTC deliberately uses "should" and "must" distinctively. 

April 26, 2024 4:41 pm  #9

RadioAaron wrote:

Nothing will happen. CRTC deliberately uses "should" and "must" distinctively. 

You're probably right.  Maybe try the CBSC with a cc to the Commission.

April 27, 2024 11:10 am  #10

There is nothing on this page that mentions municipal elections.

The page has subheadings for federal and provincial/territorial elections, but I saw nothing pertaining to municipal.
Are there different rules for municipal? They're generally not political in the same fashion as the other levels.

April 27, 2024 11:28 am  #11

Binson Echorec wrote:

There is nothing on this page that mentions municipal elections.

The page has subheadings for federal and provincial/territorial elections, but I saw nothing pertaining to municipal.
Are there different rules for municipal? They're generally not political in the same fashion as the other levels.

If there are, the onus would be on the candidates, not the media outlets.

April 27, 2024 1:35 pm  #12

John Tory openly campaigned for the mayor's chair for years on 1010, then finally ran.  Too bad he was an utter failure when he got the job.

Last edited by Walter (April 27, 2024 1:36 pm)

April 27, 2024 2:39 pm  #13

Walter wrote:

John Tory openly campaigned for the mayor's chair for years on 1010, then finally ran.  Too bad he was an utter failure when he got the job.

to know that one would have to be a long time, regular listener .. an odd use of time listening to someone you've many times said you detest ..

April 27, 2024 4:08 pm  #14

g121 wrote:

Walter wrote:

to know that one would have to be a long time, regular listener .. an odd use of time listening to someone you've many times said you detest ..

When Tory took over the afternoon show, he was tolerable, and better than whatever 640 was offering at the time.  I didn't start 'detesting' him until he became Mayor, and was a gutless disappointment until he quit in disgrace, another failure. 

April 27, 2024 10:24 pm  #15

I listened at 6 PM Friday, and sure enough the show aired as scheduled, even though Crombie posted this on Twitter/X the same day. So if there is in fact a law against mayoral candidates appearing on their own show while running for public office, he's definitely violated it. And so has the station. 

April 28, 2024 11:38 am  #16

g121 wrote:

Walter wrote:

You read my mind and said it better.

April 28, 2024 12:19 pm  #17

Stinand wrote:

g121 wrote:

Walter wrote:

The key here is whether or not Tory remained on CFRB while campaigning, and whether or not the radio microphone offered any of the candidates an unfair advantage. Did Tory step side from his hosting role? Was he invited on as a guest more frequently than other candidates? Was there any observable or documented advantage or disadvantage in the municipal race as a result of any of the candidates having special access to the airwaves. Whether he was utterly good or an utter failure as mayor is immaterial and simply tooting your own political horn. In fact the comment seems out of place given that the question - a worthwhile one - revolves around electoral fairness and integrity.

Last edited by Saul (April 28, 2024 12:20 pm)

April 28, 2024 12:33 pm  #18

Stinand wrote:

g121 wrote:

Walter wrote:

Bah.  He was a mediocre radio host, and a lousy mayor. 

April 28, 2024 12:35 pm  #19

If Tory or Newstalk 1010 were not following the rules, or John was still hosting while the campaign was officially on, wouldn't those running against him bring this up?  I don't recall this was ever an issue or other candidates crying foul.

April 28, 2024 1:49 pm  #20

It wasn't. I recall John Moore saying on air that Tory would no longer be part of any Roundtable or discussion shows, unless it was in his then-role as a candidate. He was no longer allowed anywhere near a mic as a show host. Once he won, of course, he was on all the time - but only as mayor of the city commenting on civic issues. 

April 29, 2024 9:01 am  #21

Considering this station still has their old and long gone morning show front and centre on its homepage, I don't think they're too concerned about anything they air.