sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 17, 2024 6:16 am  #1

CBC Promising 22 Hours Of Summer Olympics Coverage A Day

If you're a fan of the summer Olympics, you might be losing sleep over it. There's no other way to catch a promised 22 hours of coverage on the CBC from July 26-August 11. 

The Corp. has laid out its initial plans for the games, which includes online events being shown on CBC Gem and its special Olympic website. They also plan an all-night recap for those who missed anything during the day. 

Some events will also be shown on TSN and Sportsnet.

As usual, you won't be able to follow the action on any other station. There are strict rules about the games that have frustrated other broadcasters for decades. In general, they're not allowed to show a frame of video and can only present stills of the action for at least 24 hours - and if the rules haven't changed, they can run only about 30 secs.-1 minute of the events the next day, by which time it's hopelessly dated. 

NBC will have the games in the U.S., where the same rules apply.

CBC Unveils Summer Olympic Coverage Plans 

April 17, 2024 8:37 am  #2

Re: CBC Promising 22 Hours Of Summer Olympics Coverage A Day

Not a fan of the Olympics. At least I will have the Jays and CFL to watch.

April 17, 2024 8:57 am  #3

mace wrote:

Mace, if I recall, you are, like me, a fan of Coronation Street. This wall to wall coverage looks like it could preempt the show for a couple of weeks, putting us even further behind the UK.

The only non Olympic window appears to be between 6 and 7 p.m. so given 30 minutes for news, we can cross our fingers that Corrie will run at 6:30.

Personally, I really enjoy the Olympics, but I must have my fix of drama from The Cobbles.

BTW, just a reminder, due to Stanley Cup Playoffs coverage, Corrie moves to 2 p.m. starting Monday.

April 17, 2024 9:32 am  #4

Recalls memories of the late Mike Cleaver's comments here about how much he despised the "limp dick games" and the IOC.

April 17, 2024 9:52 am  #5

I enjoy the Olympics both summer and winter.  The games in Paris should be memorable in such a beautiful city.

Doesn't CBC Gem have Coronation Street?  Maybe that's where the schedule will flip to during the games.  It's free, so no money to subscribe or watch on line.  CBC does a great job covering the Olympics.  And with 22 hours per day thanks to the time zone difference, it will always be on. 

The three networks work well at cross promoting events.  It is nice that CBC, Bell and Rogers do this to give us the best coverage. 

Although not at the level of the Super Bowl commercials, during the Olympics, CBC and NBC will have some new expensive ads that have been produced just for the games.  

April 17, 2024 9:59 am  #6

Will not be watching this year as the IOC is allowing Russia and Belarus to participate as neutrals.
They should not be allowed to enter Europe let alone take part in the Olympics. Plus they cheat like hell!! Steroids anyone?

April 17, 2024 11:18 am  #7

As a fellow fan of the Cobbles I think CBC has done a pretty good job of keeping it about 2 weeks behind for the last 10 years or so.  Before that Corrie was preempted for hockey playoffs and the Olympics and any sort of World sporting event.  That meant Corrie could be anywhere from 3 to 6 months behind.  To catch up, they began showing hour long episodes 5 days a week.  Once they caught up with a 2 week delay they cut back the airing of episodes.  It's been ok ever since.  So hopefully CBC will find a way around it.  I do know that they also repeat the day's episode at 12:30 am.  And there's the omnibus on Sunday.  I PVR it so hopefully the magic machine will catch it whenever it's on. 

April 17, 2024 11:37 am  #8

Tq345 wrote:

mace wrote:

Mace, if I recall, you are, like me, a fan of Coronation Street. This wall to wall coverage looks like it could preempt the show for a couple of weeks, putting us even further behind the UK.

The only non Olympic window appears to be between 6 and 7 p.m. so given 30 minutes for news, we can cross our fingers that Corrie will run at 6:30.

Personally, I really enjoy the Olympics, but I must have my fix of drama from The Cobbles.

BTW, just a reminder, due to Stanley Cup Playoffs coverage, Corrie moves to 2 p.m. starting Monday.

My money's on Corrie being in that 6:30 time slot. IIRC, during the last Olympics CBC squeezed in local news and Corrie somewhere in the broadcast schedule (and The National was relegated to CBCNN only).

April 17, 2024 11:53 am  #9

Here's a sneak peek at the CBC's Olympic graphics. A bit cheesy to my taste, but then I'm not a fan of the games in the first place so I won't be seeing any of them. 

CBC releases Olympics look that blends art deco, Canadian-inspired elements

April 17, 2024 12:56 pm  #10

I enjoy watching the summer Olympics, not all events but a good number of them.
Don't tell me that watching Ben Johnson win the 100 metres (and then infamously lose it) wasn't thrilling TV.
Also watching runners like FloJo, or for real oldsters, gymnast Nadia Comineci.
In general I like to see incredible athletes doing things like break HI jump records, or weight lifting feats.
Swimming championships are also pretty amazing like Ian Thorpe or Canada's Mark Tewkbury.or Penny Oleksiak.
I've also done my share reporting on Olympic class athletes, watching them train here in Canada.
I remember once covering some Canadian Olympic runners in person, and watching them streak past you as you stand on the track is amazingly impressive.
and yes, we all know the IOC is rife with corruption, and we all wish that were not so.
But then many Canadians cheer on professional sports teams whose ownership and management is also riddled with corruption.

April 17, 2024 5:14 pm  #11

Tq345 wrote:

mace wrote:

I have to give the CBC credit. Whenever Corrie is moved from its 7pm slot, they make sure viewers know when and where it can be viewed. A very large scroll always runs across the screen that cannot possibly be ignored.