sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 3, 2024 10:10 am  #1

Nielsen Releases New List Of Top American Radio Markets

It's no surprise that New York and Los Angeles are still kings of the radio castle down south, remaining the #s 1 & 2 markets in North America. Chicago, as always, is runner-up at #3.

Buffalo, which once occupied a much higher perch, is still in 59th place. For those in Windsor, Detroit ranks at a respectable #14.

But did you ever wonder which place below the border is the lowest of the low in terms of ratings market? It's Grand Forks, North Dakota, which ranks 572 out of 572. Imagine competing for that audience.

The list isn't for everyone and only involves the U.S., but I found it fascinating nonetheless. If you feel the same way, take a peek at it here

April 3, 2024 11:04 am  #2

Re: Nielsen Releases New List Of Top American Radio Markets

The list ranks markets by population not by radio tuning. Buffalo has dropped  to the 59th  market based on its population count. 

April 3, 2024 11:35 am  #3

Yes, I don't think I implied anything else. It's always been population that determines market rank. 

There was a time that Buffalo was in the Top 30, if I recall correctly. Those days are done. 

April 5, 2024 8:06 am  #4

I think Buffalo was as high as #14 in the mid-late 1950's.

April 5, 2024 8:22 am  #5

RadioActive wrote:

It's no surprise that New York and Los Angeles are still kings of the radio castle down south, remaining the #s 1 & 2 markets in North America. Chicago, as always, is runner-up at #3.

Buffalo, which once occupied a much higher perch, is still in 59th place. For those in Windsor, Detroit ranks at a respectable #14.

But did you ever wonder which place below the border is the lowest of the low in terms of ratings market? It's Grand Forks, North Dakota, which ranks 572 out of 572. Imagine competing for that audience.

The list isn't for everyone and only involves the U.S., but I found it fascinating nonetheless. If you feel the same way, take a peek at it here

That #572 is the Market Code. Grand Forks actually ranks 243rd, but still last.

April 5, 2024 8:27 am  #6

Thanks for catching that. I believe it's what I meant to type, but my fingers had other ideas.

April 5, 2024 11:37 am  #7

RadioActive wrote:

The Grand Forks market will be familiar to Winnipeg audiences. That’s where people go if they want to shop in the US and that’s where their US TV affiliates come from on cable.

April 5, 2024 3:52 pm  #8

Tomas Barlow wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

The Grand Forks market will be familiar to Winnipeg audiences. That’s where people go if they want to shop in the US and that’s where their US TV affiliates come from on cable.

Minneapolis/St. Paul affilliates are also available to Manitoba cable customers.