sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 4, 2024 1:21 pm  #1

Why Global Toronto's Noon News Fails Two Cities At Once

If you have a DVR, chances are pretty good it comes with a built-in TV guide, so you can set for the shows you want to record. Mine is no different, although I'm not sure where they get the listings and the descriptions from.

Here's what Global's Noon News show says on my machine:

"Quebec's Global news at noon: a fresh perspective on global events and stories."

Yes, the first word in the description is "Quebec." Nothing about Toronto.

I'm aware this is seen in several cities, including Montreal. And I also suppose if it wasn't being produced out of Toronto, Global's Quebec channel probably wouldn't get a noon newscast at all in the interest of saving money. Cheaper to produce one show for two places. 

But if you've ever watched it, you'll know it's also why it generally fails. If I'm in Toronto, why would I care about an accident tying up traffic on Rue St. Catharine? And if I'm in Montreal, who cares about Toronto wanting to impose a "rain tax" on residents here? 

And then there's the weather. Anthony Farnell gives a primarily Toronto-centric forecast at the end of the show, with a passing glance at the end for the weather in Montreal. Again, if you're in Quebec, are you going to sit through two minutes of a forecast for somewhere else, before learning an abbreviated precis of what you're expecting? 

This whole show basically doesn't work because local news is just that - local. And Global at Noon is only half local. 

There may be problems with some of the the things CFTO does on its noon cast (including endless interview debriefings with "guests," which go on forever, and presumably are only used to fill time), but at least it truly is Toronto's news, as its intro suggests. 

If you want a Tale of Two Cities, read Charles Dickens. Otherwise, skip Global at 12 o'clock high. 

April 4, 2024 5:25 pm  #2

Re: Why Global Toronto's Noon News Fails Two Cities At Once

The program description issue seems to be across the network. For me, Global BC’s News at 5 is described as “Evening news coverage in Saskatchewan”, and the News at 11 is described as “Nova Scotia’s late-night news program”.

April 4, 2024 5:39 pm  #3

I was flipping thru channels this afternoon, and landed on the Global Nooner...
The lede item was a full story on the new lower bowl / 100 Level seating at Rogers Centre.  Why?

A new fan experience with cup holders and seats that are now oriented to the infield. New menu items..Why?  

Why was this a lede item?  One would think that the snowstorm in Montreal would have made for a more newsworthy story... and then maybe a follow on the rainfall aftermath / cleanup in Toronto.... 

But no, the emphasis was on the new "snowflake fries"...   someone must be getting some comp tickets for the home opener....   Just hope the Jays bring some bats with them!

Last edited by Glen Warren (April 4, 2024 5:40 pm)

April 4, 2024 6:26 pm  #4

A simulcast of Global's streaming news channel on Global Montreal would probably serve that audience better than this Frankenstein of a newscast. Or better yet, could Global at least pre-tape the A-block for Montreal (while Toronto goes live), and have the remaining B/C/D blocks shared with both markets?

Global Montreal did have a noon newscast pre-COVID, but IIRC ended up sharing with Toronto for a while because of the pandemic. 

https://blog.fagstein.com/2015/06/03/global-montreal-planning-a-noon-local-newscast/

Last edited by ED1 (April 4, 2024 6:27 pm)

April 6, 2024 12:23 pm  #5

This goes back to Ginella Massa days on Canada Tonight.  Here in Northeastern Ontario, the Eastlink guide says something about "New, HD, Canada Tonight was a Canadian television newscast which aired on stations owned by Western International Communications from 1993 to 2001. It was produced out of the studio of CHAN-TV in Burnaby, British Columbia." It goes on about two versions of the newscast, blah, blah blah. 

Last edited by Radio Bob (April 6, 2024 2:55 pm)

April 6, 2024 3:36 pm  #6

Radio Bob wrote:

This goes back to Ginella Massa days on Canada Tonight.  Here in Northeastern Ontario, the Eastlink guide says something about "New, HD, Canada Tonight was a Canadian television newscast which aired on stations owned by Western International Communications from 1993 to 2001. It was produced out of the studio of CHAN-TV in Burnaby, British Columbia." It goes on about two versions of the newscast, blah, blah blah. 

Shaw in BC does the same thing, even mentions Tony Parsons and Bill Good as hosts.