sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 2, 2024 5:21 pm  #1

In The Last Couple Of Days...

I have heard two big name - big market - big station anchors stumble over their own names!

One was Vassy - she was signing off on Sunday & F'ed up her name while saying goodbye to her viewers.
The other was a veteran newsman at WABC New York. His name is Bob Brown. 2 friggin' syllables!!!
From what I saw and heard they were both a bit embarrassed.

Reminded me of the time many many years ago when a veteran guy left me some copy to read on air. Me being a bit lazy didn't check nor proof read & then I came to the following... cold of course..."buffeted it".
Whether he did that on purpose or not I never did ask. But I admit it threw me.

John Moore mentioned the following last week. Said he used to write news copy for a veteran newsman and would try to put the word chrysanthemum somewhere in the text because the old guy couldn't say it. Then he and other staff would gather round & listen then laugh like hell.  

April 2, 2024 5:36 pm  #2

Re: In The Last Couple Of Days...

Years ago I worked for a news director who was a real maniac.
He constantly berated anyone for the slightest thing.
One day he was opening his morning newscast.
The newscaster before him had for some reason written his own name on the blank template for the intro.
The news director read the intro and automatically read the other guys name.
After the newscast was over our fearless leader began screaming at our colleague for writing his name on the intro sheet, to which he replied well, (blank) why did you read my name, don't you know who you are?
I remember the look on his face.  He froze... then realized there was no way he could blame his stupid mistake on the other person.
He shut up and walked out of the room.
We all all laughed.
I also once worked with an older man who was one of our news anchors.
He actually had to write his intro down word for word including his own name.
One day he forgot to write his own name down and was stuck, saying... "Here's the news, I'm...I'm... aahh... he shuffled though the copy on the desk, hoping to find his name written down somewhere.
Then he just gave up and went on reading.

April 3, 2024 12:15 am  #3

Re: In The Last Couple Of Days...

Vassy is known for being tongue tied pretty often. I seem to remember her joking about it recently. She attributes it to not getting enough sleep.
She post some of her flubs on Instagram.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (April 3, 2024 12:16 am)