sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 2, 2024 7:20 am  #1

Looking For An Indoor Antenna For OTA Reception? Check These Out

Nothing will replace an outdoor tower and even a good indoor antenna may not bring in the Buffalo stations, which may be too far away. But you never know until you try. 

The tech gurus at CNET have assembled a short list of the best testing antennas for 2024. How well they work depends a lot on where you're located and whether you can get them near a window. If nothing else, they're cheap enough, although the prices listed are in U.S. funds, so they'll likely be more across the border.

If you've ever contemplated getting one to add to your viewing choices, here's where you can find the list:

Best TV Antenna for 2024

April 2, 2024 8:20 am  #2

Re: Looking For An Indoor Antenna For OTA Reception? Check These Out

If your window faces south, I suspect an indoor antenna would receive WNED and WUTV because they transmit from Grand Island which is roughly 45 miles away. The towers for WGRZ, WIVB and WKBW are in the 85 mile range from Toronto which , with the exception of occasional tropo conditions, is too distant to receive reliable reception of ch 2,4 and 7.

April 2, 2024 8:28 am  #3

Worth mentioning that there are subcarriers on both WNED and WUTV, which means you get more than just the two stations. Whether those extra channels carry anything you might ever watch is another matter altogether.

If I recall correctly, an engineer at WUTV once told me that WNED shares its tower, so if you get one, you get the other.

WIVB and WNLO are both on the same stick as well, in farther away Colden, N.Y., and they're a lot harder for some of us to receive reliably. But again, if you can get Channel 4, you can receive Channel 23 (as well as Channel 49.4's "GetTV" subcarrier because they're all coming from the same place.)

My best Buffalo stations here in North York are Channel 2 (almost always perfect), Channel 7, Channel 29, and the stations on Channel 49 and the nine offerings located on Channel 51, although I almost never watch the latter two. But if I ever need to see the 300th rerun of one of the Law & Orders, it's nice to know they're there!

Last edited by RadioActive (April 2, 2024 8:35 am)

April 2, 2024 8:50 am  #4

I have an outdoor antenna in Whitby and I can also get ATSC 3 signals on the Sony TV except for Fox.  Picture quality was still the same as ATSC 1 tho the stations I got had a bit of interactivity.. weather, headlines.  Went back to ATSC 1 for all.