sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 1, 2024 7:05 am  #1

The Oddest Broadcast April Fool's Jokes Ever

Many of the best "Fooled Ya!" gags involved media, including the famous spaghetti tree on the BBC, one of the first ones on TV ever. No one (including Mike Cooper) will forget his infamous "assassination" overnight on CHUM, and then there was WestJet, which had a few questionable April 1st jokes in the past, including a new service that sent passengers into space. (Given all the recent Boeing scares, I'm not sure an airline making jokes is the best strategy right now.)

We pulled off a few when I was at CFTR to mixed results. (The best one ever was Metric Time, when Canada converted to the metric system and listeners were told the time was going metric as well. You can hear that classic here.)

Left-handed toilet paper and spaghetti trees? 5 of the oddest April Fools’ hoaxes ever

But for sheer expense of production, you can't go wrong with Burger King's infamous Whopper toothpaste campaign. Seven years later, it still lives on the Internet. 

April 1, 2024 9:05 am  #2

Re: The Oddest Broadcast April Fool's Jokes Ever

I was involved in several pranks during my radio years and like RA says, some worked and some didn't. The worst one I was involved in took place many years ago in southern Saskatchewan. The two lazy idiots who hosted our morning show couldn't be bothered to come up with a prank that at least had a semblance of logic, so the night before April 1st, they came up with the idea that the clocks had inexplicably gone back one hour, even though Saskatchewan had never implemented daylight savings time. The next morning, the phones began ringing off the hook with people complaining about the radio telling them the wrong time and they were now late for school, work, appointments, etc. Since the jocks hadn't bothered to inform us in the news department about the switch, we couldn't come up with a plausible explanation and had to endure the rage of callers when we explained it was just an "April Fools prank." The station manager called the two morning idiots into his office when he got there and read them the riot act. They issued the standard non-apology ("we're sorry if we inadvertently confused anyone....") on the next day's show, but it was whispered in the hallways that we'd lost some ads from local businesses as a result of their foolishness.

Any other April Fools' jokes gone wrong in your broadcasting history?

BTW, I love Walter's contribution to the April Fools' Day theme with his comments on the carbon tax. Hilarious stuff as he pretends to huff and puff about the "official party line" and how the tax on CO2 emissions doesn't "reduce pollution." It's a good thing we all know its April Fools' Day and he's just trying to pull a fast one on us, right?

[url=https://ecofiscal.ca/2024/03/26/open-letter-carbon-pricing/#:~:text=What%20the%20evidence%20shows%3A%20Not,policies%20were%20also%20at%20work.]More than 200 economists endorse the carbon tax as cost-efficient and effective[/url]

Last edited by BowmanvilleBob (April 1, 2024 9:06 am)

April 1, 2024 10:13 am  #3

I've heard of radio stations pranking on April Fool's but here's a case of NT 1010 being pranked

Niagara Falls Mayor @JimDiodati pranks @MooreintheAM on April Fool's Day, saying the city will turn off the iconic waterfall during the eclipse for better viewing enjoyment.

https://omny.fm/shows/newstalk1010/niagara-falls-mayor-jimdiodati-pranks-mooreintheam

April 1, 2024 10:16 am  #4

Some may think that the oddest, maybe even the cruelest  April Fool's Joke, was on this date in 1968.  April 1st was the day that the Board of Broadcast Governors or BBG became the Canadian Radio Television Commission and the new Broadcasting Act took effect.  Pierre Juneau was appointed the first chairman of the new CRTC. 

April 1, 2024 10:35 am  #5

paterson1 wrote:

Some may think that the oddest, maybe even the cruelest  April Fool's Joke, was on this date in 1968.  April 1st was the day that the Board of Broadcast Governors or BBG became the Canadian Radio Television Commission and the new Broadcasting Act took effect.  Pierre Juneau was appointed the first chairman of the new CRTC. 

I'm not a fan of many CRTC decisions, but it's better than the very early days of broadcasting in Canada, when the CBC was put in charge of all broadcasting regulations. Imagine if your competitor controlled all the decisions surrounding your station, including if you even received a licence. What could go wrong?

April 1, 2024 11:20 am  #6

One of my favourites was the time BBC World Service led off the newscast with the news that Big Ben was to be replaced by a digital clock.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

April 1, 2024 11:25 am  #7

Oddly, this wasn't an April Fool's joke. It was a prank CHUM tried to play on the CBC in Sept. 1960. But it didn't work.

April 1, 2024 11:35 am  #8

I also remember the time the Toronto Star published a story saying a project was afoot to add length to the CN Tower by cutting the top off and adding a piece to it by helicopter.  The article even had a serious looking diagram of how the piece would be inserted and the top then put back on.

April 1, 2024 11:57 am  #9

Here's one they're doing in Prince George, B.C. (But as a fanatical dog lover, I only wish it was real!)

94.3 The GOAT becomes first Canadian radio station to have dog as a co-host