sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 29, 2024 3:38 pm  #1

Ex-The Current & The National Host Anna Maria Tremonti's Tragic Past

Actually, she's talked about it quite a lot more over the years, with the veteran CBC journalist now openly recalling her days married to an extremely abusive husband who once threatened to kill her. A revealing and tragic tale about a host you may have once listened to on the radio or seen on TV.

Canadian journalist Anna Maria Tremonti opens up about how she got rid of shame amid experience with domestic violence

March 29, 2024 3:55 pm  #2

Re: Ex-The Current & The National Host Anna Maria Tremonti's Tragic Past

On a slightly different tack, how would you deal with a known abuser as an employer or a co-worker? The Corpse permitted an embarrassing amount of latitude with Ghomeshi, but I suspect it's less of an outlier than it should have been for media overall. 

March 29, 2024 7:40 pm  #3

Chrisphen, what happened to Ghomeshi? How and where does he go to get on with his life? Who would hire him? Doe he move to a new country?

I am curious, his fall from grace was monumental by Canadian standards.

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

March 29, 2024 9:34 pm  #4

March 29, 2024 10:17 pm  #5

Gomeshi is doing what he has always done.
In university he pretended to be a champion of feminist causes while actually being a misogynist abuser.
Now he's posing as a fighter for Iranian freedoms.
Maybe he has actually changed.  We'll see. wouldn't be surprised however to find he's just moved onto another grift. 

March 30, 2024 9:34 am  #6

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

Not sure I follow you. He was finished, but only after the news publicly broke. It would strain credulity to suggest that his management at the org were blindsided. He was tolerated until it was no longer 'profitable' to do so, and the CBC has less of a profit motive than other media orgs.

March 30, 2024 10:06 am  #7

You’re implying that CBC management knew that he was violently abusing women in his personal life?

This place offers takes you won’t find anywhere else.

I’m guessing they didn’t, especially because when he showed them evidence of what he was doing he was immediately fired.

March 30, 2024 10:42 am  #8

There may be shades of grey here. From what I've read, coupled with my general experience with organizational culture, leads me to wonder if there may be middle ground here. Not all bad or oafish behaviour is extreme, or presents publicly as extreme. And some things happen in absolute privacy or seclusion that are very much 'unlike' the public version. AMT's case, above, is a classic. I'm not saying, absolutely, that organizations don't give their stars some leeway. They often do, and they shouldn't. I'm simply saying this issue isn't necessarily black and white. I like how AMT, in her podcasts, acknowledged the pain her ex had experienced earlier in his life. No excuses, of course, but it does show life's complexity, and how things go wrong in layers.

March 30, 2024 6:30 pm  #9

Chrisphen wrote:

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

Not sure I follow you. He was finished, but only after the news publicly broke. It would strain credulity to suggest that his management at the org were blindsided. He was tolerated until it was no longer 'profitable' to do so, and the CBC has less of a profit motive than other media orgs.

What I meant is that what Ghomeshi did, affected his work, probably his sex life, reputation, income, etc. The fallout was pretty extensive and we don't see these kinds of incidents in Canada too often.

I don't deny he was the maker of his destiny and that he may repeat similar patterns in future, his demise would have caused fall out in so many other areas of his life. 

So be it.

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...