sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 25, 2024 10:29 am  #1

680 News Radio

I'm actually SHOCKED not to see something about this posted here already!

This morning at 8am (Monday, March 25th), I tuned in to hear no reference to "CityNews" on CFTR.  Instead it was the "680 News Radio Morning Show", with Catharine and Paul still anchoring.  So it appears to be somewhat of a return to their former moniker.  All the same reporters are there as well.

Which then made me wonder, "Is this Rogers-wide?".  So, I was in Mississauga near Erin Mills and Eglinton, so I tuned in 570 CKGL in Kay-Dubya.  They are still using the "CityNews" branding.  However, there is one thing (albeit unintentional) that is really interesting here.  While I was listening to 570, the anchor said, "Stay tuned to 680 .... (and abruptly stopped to correct himself), ... "CityNews 570 for more details".  Keep in mind this was not a voice I'd EVER heard on 680, so what would explain that particular flub?  Why would he erroneously even think to say 680 by habit?  Get what I mean?  Were they briefed and scripted on some change that we're not aware of yet?

Anyway, an interesting morning on 680 News Radio!

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

March 25, 2024 10:42 am  #2

Re: 680 News Radio

New logo. Same colour scheme as 1010.

[img][/img]

March 25, 2024 11:53 am  #3

If this is an official change, and it appears to be with the logo, I think it's a good idea.
I hated CITY News instead of 680 news.
By saying 680 you are identifying a source of news, not a geographical location.
CITY seemed to suggest all you would hear was news about the CITY of Toronto.
I haven't been to Vancouver for a few years but the Rogers station  always referred to themselves as News 1130.  Technically they were CKWX..

March 25, 2024 12:49 pm  #4

newsguy1 wrote:

If this is an official change, and it appears to be with the logo, I think it's a good idea.
I hated CITY News instead of 680 news.
By saying 680 you are identifying a source of news, not a geographical location.
CITY seemed to suggest all you would hear was news about the CITY of Toronto.
I haven't been to Vancouver for a few years but the Rogers station  always referred to themselves as News 1130.  Technically they were CKWX..

Vancouver became “City News 1130” at the same time as Toronto, and the rest of them.

March 25, 2024 3:04 pm  #5

The colour scheme for the website and the CityNews 24/7 channels have changed to red/white/back - very much resembles CP24 or Global's news channels. Guess we should expect a graphics change on the TV newscasts today.

March 25, 2024 3:21 pm  #6

CityNews 24/7 channel's new look... with a new studio 

The Rogers/Shaw money must've kicked in. CityNews Vancouver also has a set now AND its own 24/7 streaming channel.

https://twitter.com/AdrienneKS/status/1772290010693197880?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Last edited by ED1 (March 25, 2024 3:31 pm)

March 25, 2024 3:52 pm  #7

I’ve seen some staff post on instagram, and it looks like they’re going for the traditional anchor desk on the main cast too.

March 25, 2024 4:09 pm  #8

The Twitter handle has changed to @NewsRadioTO and is now called 680 NewsRadio Toronto Traffic & Weather but it still has the CityNews logo. Several of the staff are touting the rebranding so perhaps there's been a soft launch that isn't official yet.  https://twitter.com/AmberCityNews/status/1772321126837882892

And, moreover, there is cake!

Last edited by Hansa (March 25, 2024 4:10 pm)

March 25, 2024 4:32 pm  #9

Someone forgot to tell 310 Reno. They still say Citynews radio.

Last edited by Radiowiz (March 25, 2024 4:58 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 25, 2024 5:08 pm  #10

ED1 wrote:

The Rogers/Shaw money must've kicked in. CityNews Vancouver also has a set now AND its own 24/7 streaming channel.

https://twitter.com/AdrienneKS/status/1772290010693197880?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Are they still reporting out of Yonge Dundas? The set looks like it may now be at One Mount Pleasant.

March 25, 2024 5:21 pm  #11

Hey CityNews @ 5 & 6 (on City TV)
Please put the clock back in the bottom right corner of CityNews. Thanks. 

Last edited by Radiowiz (March 25, 2024 5:59 pm)

March 25, 2024 7:43 pm  #12

ED1 wrote:

I find this choice kind of interesting. Format-wise, it looks a lot like CP24. The enriched screen was created by City, which once ran 24.

When City first moved into 299 Queen St. W., they deliberately chose orange and red (and a little bit of white) as their background colours. Why? Because CFTO always used blue. (They still do.) That was in the CityPulse and later, the early CityNews days.

Yet when they moved a second time to Yonge and Dundas, that rule appeared to go out the window and their graphics were blue and white.  

City also made a big deal of "having no sets," that the anchors walked through the newsroom and sat down on reporters' desks to get the story directly from them. 

That changed again in the newer building when they did away with anchor desks altogether. Now I see the red colour is back, this time along with black accents.  And the anchor desk has returned as well.

It comes at the same time as the radio rebranding. It's a lot of change all at once and as a TV news guy who once did graphics, I can't tell you the headache changing everything leads to. I went through it at least three times at my shop and it was a nightmare every time, with templates that didn't work, keys that looked odd and sets that kept getting tweaked. Plus it took some real getting used to. Launching all three changes at once must have been a nightmare. 

I don't watch BT, so I can't tell - is that set different, too? 

Also the anchor is apparently back, although again, there doesn't seem to be any particular person acting in that role, like Gord Martineau used to. Here's Melissa Nakhavoly on Monday night's 6 PM main show. 

As for the radio alterations, I'm not so sure. This is the third time in the format's existence that they changed the slogan of the station, from 680 News to CityNews 680 and now 680 Newsradio. I'm not sure how many listeners even know or care but that's a lot of rebranding for the same format. Pick one and stay with it already!

March 25, 2024 8:11 pm  #13

680 NewsRadio Toronto is more descriptive. Someone new to the city would know what "news radio" means where "CityNews" might not be as obvious (could be news about city government, for instance). 

Interesting as well that attempts to co-brand both Global (Global News Radio), and CityNews tv and radio have been abandoned by Corus and Rogers respectively. I guess this means Bell is unlikely to try to rebrand NT 1010 with either CTV News or CP24.

March 26, 2024 2:20 am  #14

Seeing a desk on CityNews is…interesting. They haven’t used a desk since leaving 99 Queen East in 1987.

March 26, 2024 7:11 am  #15

Maybe it's my imagination or I haven't been listening long enough, but during the first few minutes of tuning into CFTR Tuesday morning, it appears it's now back to "680 News" for most of the news readers. I've only heard the "Newsradio" reference once in a promo in an entire half hour.

March 26, 2024 8:03 am  #16

I listen for the news and don't complain/moan/whine about all the peripheral stuff like set colours, logos, where the clock is, where they are broadcasting from....Yikes  

March 26, 2024 8:17 am  #17

peter wrote:

I listen for the news and don't complain/moan/whine about all the peripheral stuff like set colours, logos, where the clock is, where they are broadcasting from....Yikes  

Um ... wakey!  wakey!  This is a radio and television board.  Formatics, positioning, etc .. are actually a thing here since they're part of the business.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

March 26, 2024 9:58 am  #18

peter wrote:

A discussion about elements of a television program, a visual medium, on a broadcasting discussion board? *clutches pearls*

March 26, 2024 10:02 am  #19

Hansa wrote:

680 NewsRadio Toronto is more descriptive. Someone new to the city would know what "news radio" means where "CityNews" might not be as obvious (could be news about city government, for instance). 

Interesting as well that attempts to co-brand both Global (Global News Radio), and CityNews tv and radio have been abandoned by Corus and Rogers respectively. I guess this means Bell is unlikely to try to rebrand NT 1010 with either CTV News or CP24.

It hasn't been abandoned entirely. The other 5 Rogers all-news/news-talk radio stations are still branded as CityNews. It's only been dumped on 680. As for Corus, they only own 1 all-news station (CHQT 880 Edmonton) and it's still branded as "Global News Radio". 

March 26, 2024 10:25 am  #20

ED1 wrote:

peter wrote:

A discussion about elements of a television program, a visual medium, on a broadcasting discussion board? *clutches pearls*

Some specific people get paid buckets of money to fuss over shades of lipstick for the pig.

March 26, 2024 10:48 am  #21

I've written about this before, but we have many new members since then. 

Sometime in the early 1980s, when CFTR was still an AM Top 40 powerhouse, things were clicking along fine and I felt lucky to be working at a top rated station. Those were great days and it was probably the best job I ever had.

And then, one afternoon with no notice, around the lunch hour, the jock stopped referring to the station on air as "CFTR," as it had since the first format switch to rock in 1972. Instead, he was saying "TR 68" after each record. 

Everyone in the station stared at each other. WTF was going on? When did this happen and why? Between songs, someone went into the announce booth and asked the guy why he was doing the new ID. "I was told to," he replied, mentioning someone in management had come in and immediately ordered the change. 

And so it became "TR 68." It may not have created a buzz among listeners, but internally, there was a frenzy. It was such a big change and no one knew it was coming. 

It lasted until the P.D. returned from a lunch meeting. I've been told when he heard the new station I.D. on air, he went ballistic. He wanted to know who ordered this change and why he wasn't told. And before you knew it, "TR 68" died a quick death and it was known as CFTR again. It stayed that way until they went to the all news format many years later. 

I never did find out what happened or whether this was being workshopped behind closed doors and someone decided to put it on air. But whatever it was, it didn't last long. If you were listening during those bizarre 120 minutes, you heard it. Otherwise, it disappeared into the ether, never to be heard from again.

So RIP "TR 68." We hardly knew ye. Literally. 

March 26, 2024 11:16 am  #22

My first full time job in radio news was at CJAT in Trail, B-C, then owned by the Hoole family.
At one point the radio station was suddenly being billed as "Ever lovin' CJAT.
There were patches in a heart shape made up, but I never heard any of the jocks refer to that slogan.  They just kept calling it CJAT.
Behind the scenes I remember pretty well everyone laughing and ridiculing the slogan.
The term, "ever lovin')had absolutely nothing to do with anything.
As far as I know it was never used on air and dropped out of sight.

Last edited by newsguy1 (March 26, 2024 11:17 am)

March 26, 2024 11:16 am  #23

Not diggin' this bold Red. Natasha Ramsahai used it on her radar map for city/town names and I found it distracting. Red has always been a colour to highlight safety and caution in industry so it's going to take a little time to recalibrate.

March 26, 2024 12:31 pm  #24

Respects going out to the idea that Red is well known as Rogers main colour. 
However, friends  who do not post here tell me that CityNews looks and sounds too much like Global News now. (and Global National)

March 26, 2024 12:36 pm  #25

The only visual I see on my radio is the number 680.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

March 26, 2024 12:55 pm  #26

Didn't 680 News/CityNews680/680Newsradio used to have its own website? I tried finding one, but it connects straight to CityNews.ca.

March 26, 2024 12:58 pm  #27

RadioActive wrote:

I've written about this before, but we have many new members since then. 

Sometime in the early 1980s, when CFTR was still an AM Top 40 powerhouse, things were clicking along fine and I felt lucky to be working at a top rated station. Those were great days and it was probably the best job I ever had.

And then, one afternoon with no notice, around the lunch hour, the jock stopped referring to the station on air as "CFTR," as it had since the first format switch to rock in 1972. Instead, he was saying "TR 68" after each record. 

Everyone in the station stared at each other. WTF was going on? When did this happen and why? Between songs, someone went into the announce booth and asked the guy why he was doing the new ID. "I was told to," he replied, mentioning someone in management had come in and immediately ordered the change. 

And so it became "TR 68." It may not have created a buzz among listeners, but internally, there was a frenzy. It was such a big change and no one knew it was coming. 

It lasted until the P.D. returned from a lunch meeting. I've been told when he heard the new station I.D. on air, he went ballistic. He wanted to know who ordered this change and why he wasn't told. And before you knew it, "TR 68" died a quick death and it was known as CFTR again. It stayed that way until they went to the all news format many years later. 

I never did find out what happened or whether this was being workshopped behind closed doors and someone decided to put it on air. But whatever it was, it didn't last long. If you weren't listening during those bizarre 120 minutes, you heard it. Otherwise, it disappeared into the ether, never to be heard from again.

So RIP "TR 68." We hardly knew ye. Literally. 

Just as well. TR 68 is pretty close to the infamous TRS-80 (Trash 80) Radio Shack computer that was becoming a big thing then - but was also considered a bit downmarket compared to the Commodore PET computer and the Apple 2 so I don't think CFTR would have benefited by the association. 

March 26, 2024 1:01 pm  #28

Also, referring to radio stations by their last two call letters is a bit of an industry inside baseball thing. I think most people would be confused by references to 'RB or 'EY back in the 70s and 80s. 

March 26, 2024 3:13 pm  #29

Hansa wrote:

TR 68 is pretty close to the infamous TRS-80 (Trash 80) Radio Shack computer that was becoming a big thing then - but was also considered a bit downmarket compared to the Commodore PET computer and the Apple 2 so I don't think CFTR would have benefited by the association.

This was my immediate concern, too. People confusing computers with radio stations has plagued humanity since it crawled out of the ocean.

RadioActive wrote:

Is it the angle of the shot or does Melissa genuinely have tiny arms?

Last edited by Binson Echorec (March 26, 2024 3:34 pm)

March 27, 2024 11:42 am  #30

ED1 wrote:

The Rogers/Shaw money must've kicked in.

On one hand I was concerned what this might mean for Global because of a shift of government money, but Global BC announced this morning they’re expanding their late news to one hour next week. Is this being done across the Global network?