sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 19, 2024 6:50 am  #1

The Rise And Fall Of A Halifax Man's Illegal TV Streaming Empire

I wonder if anyone here was a secret client of this guy. I know there are a lot IPTV enthusiasts on the board and I'd be interested in their reaction to this story and if they see it as a "victimless" crime. 

The rise and fall of a Halifax man's illegal TV streaming empire

March 19, 2024 10:57 am  #2

Re: The Rise And Fall Of A Halifax Man's Illegal TV Streaming Empire

I am certain many Canadians would happily pay for ESPN, Syfy, USA, TVland, AntennaTV, METV, CoziTV etc. if they were offered legally in Canada. But Noooo, that would mean competition for TSN/Sportsnet, Dejavu and CTV Drama/Comedy channels. The CRTC would never allow that to happen.

March 19, 2024 11:50 am  #3

VPN and Kodi

March 19, 2024 12:00 pm  #4

I pay for a pirate cable service.

I don't feel bad about it as it's not replacing something I'd otherwise pay for. That's what I tell myself, anyway.

March 19, 2024 12:42 pm  #5

Thief

March 19, 2024 1:45 pm  #6

I am a Rogers Ignite customer. I have no plans to cancel that.
I just use IPTV casually, as desired when I am tired of the SIM SUB and wonder what's going on in Buffalo NY.

*added note: I also use  IPTV to find programming not provided by cable here. It's entertaining watching (English language) game shows from around the world.  

Last edited by Radiowiz (March 19, 2024 4:51 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 19, 2024 4:06 pm  #7

As a former media- studies professor I would never subscribe to an illegal service as the main goal of 
Canada's post-secondary institutions is to create jobs.  I feel such services do not help future broadcasters.

March 20, 2024 4:40 pm  #8

mace wrote:

I am certain many Canadians would happily pay for ESPN, Syfy, USA, TVland, AntennaTV, METV, CoziTV etc. if they were offered legally in Canada. But Noooo, that would mean competition for TSN/Sportsnet, Dejavu and CTV Drama/Comedy channels. The CRTC would never allow that to happen.

It’s probably not a popular opinion, but I think TSN for the most part is better than ESPN. We get all of ESPN’s marquee programming, plus the hockey that Canadians want.

March 20, 2024 5:11 pm  #9

I subscribe to legit broadcasting and streaming services and pay a significant amount for it, but if something I want to watch is geoblocked, I will bypass the obstruction. This also applies to physical media, though it's much less of a concern than it used to be.