sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 17, 2024 8:21 am  #1

How Did This Song Ever Make It To #2 On The CHUM Chart?

St. Patrick's Day made me wonder how many bands from Ireland or that were Irish-related ever made it onto the CHUM Chart. There were the Irish Rovers, of course, with "The Unicorn." I don't think the chart was around during the times of U2, otherwise they would have been there, too.

But there's one controversial song that still has me scratching my head about why it was played here at all. It's a song called "Dublin In the Green" by The Abbey Tavern Singers. It hit #2 on the chart in 1966 and was on the list for 12 weeks. It was definitely a catchy tune, but in case you don't recall it since it never gets played now, it was essentially a song supporting the IRA, the Irish Republican Army, front and centre of "The Troubles" back in the day when Ireland was at war with itself over religion. 

I don't want to get into the sides of the conflict, which is thankfully mostly behind us these days, but who at CHUM thought a song this controversial should get so much airplay? It was definitely an odd choice to add to the chart, especially considering it was a terrible quality recording, and I'm not sure it was as big a hit anywhere else.

In the U.S., it died on the Billboard Hot 100, peaking at #94. 

According to the CHUM Chart Book by Ron Hall, it reached the same position and charted the exact same number of weeks as "The Unicorn," which certainly says something, although I'm not quite sure what. But Happy St. Paddy's Day to all SOWNY-ites. And hopefully, you'll be "Dublin" your fun. 

March 17, 2024 9:19 am  #2

Re: How Did This Song Ever Make It To #2 On The CHUM Chart?

How was the Chum chart drawn up? Wasn't it based on requests or on local record sales (ie calling up Sam's and A&A each week and getting their sales numbers?)

March 17, 2024 9:29 am  #3

1966 is actually before the Troubles broke out and before the Provisional IRA broke off in 1969 and started its bombing campaign. In 1966 the IRA had been largely inactive for decades and so this song's reference to joining the IRA was seen as a historical reference to Ireland's War of Independence 50 years previously rather than an endorsement of contemporary terrorism.

Last edited by Hansa (March 17, 2024 9:31 am)

March 17, 2024 9:34 am  #4

I could see Zoomer radio spinning this song on St. Patrick's Day today and I am sure Roger Ashby has played it as well on his show.  When played the announcer would give some background or information on the tune.

Back in 1966 in addition to CHUM, CFRB and Ray Sonin would have played Off To Dublin In The Green and Wally Crouter it in the morning, CKEY and CBC radio could also have also given it some airtime.  So the song would have had a lot of airplay in addition to CHUM in Toronto. 

Everything wasn't as political in 1966 and I recall the "playing of the spoons" was popular.  This was a big part of the Abbey Tavern Singers sound.  I believe the group also appeared from time to time on CTV's Pig and Whistle,  a very popular and highly rated show for years on the network. 

Another song that is not played much anymore would be Andy Stewart's Donald Where's Your Troosers?  A song that reached #1 on the CHUM chart and #37 on the UK singles chart in 1960.  This song was picked up again in 1989.  Airplay on the BBC1 morning show gave "Donald" another life and this time reached #4 in Britain.     

Last edited by paterson1 (March 17, 2024 9:44 am)

March 17, 2024 11:00 am  #5

Actually, U2's "Pride (In the Name of Love)", their first North American Top 40 hit, peaked at #11 on the CHUM Chart in late 1984.

Also, Irish singer Feargal Sharkey peaked at #4 on the CHUM Chart in early 1986 with "A Good Heart".

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

March 17, 2024 11:04 am  #6

Good to know. I thought the CHUM Chart was long gone before those dates. 

March 17, 2024 11:29 am  #7

RadioActive wrote:

Good to know. I thought the CHUM Chart was long gone before those dates. 

The 1050 CHUM Chart actually ceased to exist about two months after Feargal Sharkey peaked on the chart.

Interestingly though, the CHUM-FM album chart lasted until the end of 1988, even though the station was mostly singles-oriented by then.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

March 17, 2024 1:53 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote: =12pxI don't want to get into the sides of the conflict, which is thankfully mostly behind us these days, but who at CHUM thought a song this controversial should get so much airplay?

Bob McAdorey was Music Director of CHUM in 1966 as well as 4-7pm DJ. McAdorey. Irish.

Next question.

Last edited by Doug Thompson (March 17, 2024 2:47 pm)

March 17, 2024 2:26 pm  #9

Whiskey In The Jar??

I'm guessing that this is the version that I remember, The Dubliners in 1968-ish...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L__TrWhq4Uk

March 17, 2024 5:19 pm  #10

From the liner notes of You Don't Have To Be Irish to Enjoy an Evening with the Abbey Tavern Singers on Arc:

In 1966 a solid Irish rouser WE'RE OFF TO DUBLIN IN THE GREEN featuring the Singers was released on TV as a beer advertisement. This ad, created by Carlings Breweries Ltd., increased the group's popularity many times over and, indeed, in Canada listening to the ABBEY TAVERN SINGERS fast became a national pastime. This song-come-jingle was then released on record by the Singers and became an international hit.

Other Irish artists that charted on CHUM would include The Bachelors, Them, Van Morrison, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Thin Lizzy, and The Boomtown Rats. Also, The Carlton Showband, whose cover version of "We're Off To Dublin In The Green" (retitled "The Merry Ploughboy (In The Green)") charted alongside the original on CHUM, consisted mostly of musicians from Ireland who had relocated to Canada. 

Last edited by Lorne (March 17, 2024 6:12 pm)