sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 1, 2024 6:13 pm  #1

Could This "Fixed" Format Be A Good Tool For Radio Here?

I've written about this before. But back then, it was just a tiny new entity in the UK. Now it's a going concern with a growing number of listeners. 

I'm talking about something called "Fix Radio," a format dedicated to trades people, like construction workers, electricians, plumbers and the like. It was a digital radio station set up a few years ago in the U.K., after its creators - trades people themselves - discovered they liked listening to the radio while they toiled, but got tired of endless repetition on almost every station they tuned in at their worksites. So they created one just for their own. 

And after ten years, it has a growing audience. "Fix Radio is now sustained largely by hardware stores, tool suppliers and trade insurers, and last year had a turnover of £3.7m."

That's over $6 million Canadian. 

"The Fix schedule, which is also broadcast online and via podcasts and social media, includes shows for electricians, plasterers, carpenters, plumbers, decorators, bricklayers and roofers. Most are presented by tradespeople, many of whom arrived with big followings as online influencers."

It all started a decade ago.

"[Louis] Timpany understood how annoying repetitive ads and music can be for all-day audiences. “Three hours plastering a ceiling and I’ve heard the same song four times,” says Hanson, who tended to listen to Heart or Magic on site. Timpany also spied an opportunity; while it might not make business sense for suppliers to the trades to advertise on mainstream radio, could they be drawn to a targeted audience?

After a six-month crash course at Christian Radio, Timpany, who is now 31, pitched his idea to investors, eventually managing to build a shoestring regional London station. Fix Radio, which is now headquartered in studios in south London, hit the air in April 2017. Its first song: Starship’s We Built This City."

I'm not 100% sure this would work as a regular station, although it does in England, where Digital Audio Broadcasting is now the norm, making way for a plethora of stations on a virtually limitless dial. But the concept is interesting and I wonder if a North American streaming version would work. It's certainly a fresh idea, targeting people where they work.

And if such a station could garner a specialized audience in North America, then the Fix would definitely be in. 

‘We’re off in our transit vans after the show’: how Fix Radio built a hit station for builders

March 1, 2024 6:25 pm  #2

Re: Could This "Fixed" Format Be A Good Tool For Radio Here?

If trade magazines can range between function and thrive, why not on radio... it's all about compelling content.

March 1, 2024 8:30 pm  #3

So, who is on their play list?

The Carpenters?

Mike and the Mechanics?

Electric Light Orchestra?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

March 1, 2024 9:54 pm  #4

turkeytop wrote:

So, who is on their play list?

The Carpenters?

Mike and the Mechanics?

Electric Light Orchestra?

How about Peter, Paul & Mary with "If I Had a Hammer"? 

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

March 1, 2024 10:45 pm  #5

Gordon Lightfoot.

The Last Time I Saw Her Face.

March 2, 2024 12:09 am  #6

Or the Cutting Crew (I Just Died In Your Arms)

March 2, 2024 12:12 am  #7

And just in time for St Patrick's Day, "O Danny boy, THE PIPES, THE PIPES are calling."
Or Peter Gabriel, "Sledgehammer."
Pink Floyd, "Another brick in the wall."

March 2, 2024 2:07 am  #8

Starship.

We Built This City,

March 2, 2024 3:16 am  #9

turkeytop wrote:

Starship.

We Built This City,

I like that one the best!  

Last edited by Radiowiz (March 2, 2024 3:21 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 2, 2024 5:40 am  #10

How about "Paint It Black" by The Rolling Stones?

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

March 2, 2024 9:49 am  #11

March 14, 2024 11:15 am  #12

I guess this was inevitable - now that a radio station for the trades is doing well, the next one launching in the U.K. is a radio network just for truckers. Or as they call them over there, haulers.

Imagine if it's filled with great humour. That would be a hoot and a hauler...

Dedicated radio station for the haulage industry launches

HGVRadio.com

March 14, 2024 1:23 pm  #13

There is the overnight Red Eye Radio in the US, which includes truckers in its intended audience.

March 14, 2024 4:53 pm  #14

If I remember correct, a station in the US aired an over night trucker based show for years. I'm thinking WLW at 700 AM ? There was a trucker type channel on Sirius also for awhile back when I was doing trucking. Road Dog maybe ? I can't recall now. 

March 14, 2024 5:10 pm  #15

The WLW show was called The Truckin' Bozo hosted by the late Dale Sommers. It ran from 1984-2004 and then a version started on Sirius XM from 4-7 PM until 2012, the year he passed away.

March 15, 2024 12:41 am  #16

Glen Campbell - The Wichita Lineman

Nat Aderley - The Work Song

The Silhouettes - Get a Job.

The Beatles - Hard Day's Night

Jimmy Dean - Steel Men

Last edited by turkeytop (March 15, 2024 1:02 am)

March 15, 2024 9:02 am  #17

Yes! The Bozo, thanks RA, I never did long haul into the US, but he gave a great service to those people who ran the roads at night. I did over night company store deliveries from 1988 to 2009 and was an AM-aholic. There was alot of great radio back in that era that came in at night from US stations along with the Bozo show . Phil Hendrie from Atlanta, Jaz McKay from Clevland , Art Bell on various stations, Steve and Garry from Chicago , I even used to listen to a fire and brimstone preacher sometimes named Brother Stair from Waltersboro North Carolina , not for the religous aspect, but just because he was so entertaining lol,  and, of course, Larry King and Jim Bohanon. 

Last edited by mic'em (March 15, 2024 9:14 am)

March 15, 2024 9:34 am  #18

mic'em wrote:

I even used to listen to a fire and brimstone preacher sometimes named Brother Stair from Waltersboro North Carolina , not for the religous aspect, but just because he was so entertaining lol

Ah yes, the infamous Brother Stair, star of AM and shortwave radio. He passed on to his heavenly reward in 2021, but he certainly was a character. Not to mention a charlatan.

March 16, 2024 10:20 am  #19

Thanks for the update. I didn't know he had passed. I used to find him after 1 am on 1170 am, most of the time he was asking for $, but when he got on a roll, it was a hoot to listen to. Now I'm talking about the early 90's, once I discovered Art Bell, I never listened to Stair again. All these overnight radio shows kept me alert while doing my daily road trips, music would just make me sleepy at the wheel I found, same stuff on every station, not much has changed.