sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 12, 2024 5:07 pm  #1

Global Toots Its Own Horn Over 50th Anniversary

You've probably seen the "bug" that's begun appearing on the screen, especially on Global newscasts, indicating the network turned 50 years old this year.

Now Global has put out a press release reminding viewers of its history of bringing entertainment to the country, with stations in every province. (At the beginning, it was Ontario only.)

What strikes me as I read their multiple page self-salute is the number of American shows they mention as being amongst the memories most have of the network. Shows like Frasier, Cheers, Friends, Seinfeld, The Simpsons, Will and Grace, Survivor and Big Brother all get prominent recalls, until they finally get to a Canuck clone, Big Brother Canada. 

True, they did help put SCTV on the air, and for that reason alone, they deserve plaudits. But it isn't really until the end they even mention their own CanCon, which tells you how Global actually made it to 50 years on air! (And it barely did that, after almost going broke at one point, before being taken over by IWC Communications.)

Ironic, in a way, since Global's original programming line-up aimed for a more extensive Great White North line-up. Wikipedia has a look at those heady days that brought lots of local flavour - but few eyeballs. See how many you remember from its first three months on-air (none, by the way, of which are mentioned in the press release.) 

"Global's original prime time schedule included Patrick Watson's documentary series Witness to YesterdayPierre Berton's political debate show The Great Debate, a Canadian edition of Bernard Braden's British consumer affairs newsmagazine The Braden BeatWilliam Shatner's film talk show Flick Flack, Sunday night Toronto Toros hockey games and a nightly variety series called Everything Goes, as well as a few imported American series including Chopper OneDirty Sally and Doc Elliot

Still, it's an interesting release to read and it starts with a pic of the iconic announcement of the network's debut on January 6, 1974, reminding long time viewers of their "theme song" that used to air at sign-on and sign-off, back in the days when TV stations weren't on 24 hours a day. 

You can hear some of it below, saved thanks to the great work of Ed Conroy at Retrontario. It's by Tommy Ambrose, the same guy who sang the "People City" song that launched City TV. 

Global Press Release: Celebrating 50 Years On Air

February 12, 2024 5:29 pm  #2

Re: Global Toots Its Own Horn Over 50th Anniversary

From 1978, after five years on air, followed by its line-up from "Must See TV Thursday" in 1993:

February 12, 2024 6:00 pm  #3

They were running the Love Boat several times a day (or so it seemed) in the late 70s/early 80s.

February 12, 2024 7:08 pm  #4

Global's cancon is vastly improved now to what they offered decades ago.  Global, Bell Media and CBC are producing much more scripted series and expensive programming than they ever have. Global's parent company has original programming sold to 150 countries and territories around the world and supplies programming to CW and Hulu networks in the US. 

March 12, 2024 12:58 pm  #5

Bill Brioux talks to Global programming executive Troy Reeb about Global and their 50th Anniversary.  Also posing the question if Global would even still be here if it weren't for shows like Love Boat and NBC's must see TV back decades ago. Things changed for the network with the advent of simsub.  More from brioux.tv.
https://brioux.tv/blog/2024/03/11/this-weeks-podcast-corus-evp-troy-reeb-celebrates-50-years-of-global-television/ 

March 12, 2024 1:16 pm  #6

Global's initial business plan was also to lease its network of transmitters to OCEA (now TVO) during the daytime (until 5 pm when Global would sign on) as OCEA only had channel 19 in Toronto. However the educational station got funding to build its own network of transmitters and never used Global's leaving a hole in Global's budget - and schedule- in its first year (I'm not sure how long it took them to launch a daytime schedule- I think they must have done so fairly quickly. Ironically Global's Witness to Yesterday featuring Patrick Watson "interviewing" figures from history ended up getting more play on TVO than it ever did on Global (TVO was repeating it well into the 80s)

Last edited by Hansa (March 12, 2024 1:20 pm)

March 12, 2024 2:55 pm  #7

I vaguely remember in the early days when Global didn't sign on until about 2 in the afternoon.  Now I know why. 

Memories of global:

Peter Trueman, Peter Desbarats, Christina Pochmursky and later, Rae Corelli.

I also remember on their opening night (Sunday in January) they showed a Canadian movie that had the premise that entire country spoke French and only one province was anglophone.  I don't remember much else.

Shhh - It's the news with Don Harron and Catherine McKinnon -- I think it was actually produced at CJOH in Ottawa but it was a hoot.

The first airing of SCTV which I believe was in the time slot normally helf by "One Day at a Time".  I just recall it being one hell of shock.  A pleasant one, at that.

And of course, the Sunday night dirty movie.  They were usually bad Quebecois flicks made with government grant money for tax reasons whose only redeeming qualities were the occasional flashes of T and A and other assorted naugty bits.

March 12, 2024 3:04 pm  #8

My profs at Ryerson in the early 80s told me that Global was prepared to give over a large chunk of its mid-morning programming to student produced TV material just to keep the signal on the air. As it was, 100 Huntley Street's dollars kept the network afloat for a number of years until ownership righted the ship.

My favourite "Witness to Yesterday" episode was on SCTV:

John Candy and Brenda Donohue as Patrick Watson and Joan of Arc

March 12, 2024 4:34 pm  #9

Speaking of Rae Corelli and Peter Truman - a few more Global News artifacts.