sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 11, 2024 8:48 am  #1

Sirius XM Launches Odd New Campaign To Win Back Subscribers

I'm not sure if this aired in Canada or not, but on Sunday night's U.S. Oscar broadcast, viewers were "treated" (if that's the right word) to a new campaign from Sirius XM. One of the highlights was a short film called "A Life In Sound." It portrays a young girl putting on some music and dancing to it. As the three minute video goes on, she ages and the music changes, until at the end, she's an elderly woman still listening to her favourite - albeit far different - music. 

It all comes as the satellite broadcaster is losing customers. According to Radio Ink:

"The addition of about 131,000 new self-pay subscribers in the last quarter was overshadowed by an annual drop of 445,000 in the self-pay subscriber count, settling at a 1.6% monthly churn rate."

I found the video to be very well made but also kinda creepy for some reason. See what you think. 

March 11, 2024 10:10 am  #2

Re: Sirius XM Launches Odd New Campaign To Win Back Subscribers

It gets an A+ for clearly stating who they are, but I give it an F for desire to proceed and order.
There's nothing really there to convince me that I should spend any money on the product. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 11, 2024 12:30 pm  #3

Exactly.
People listen to music on many different platforms these days, and for free.
This ad does not say why paying for Sirius gives you any advantage.
Heck, polls show people still tune into good old fashioned FM radio in decent numbers, proven by how many commercials they still carry.
Also many people have lots of collected music in the form of vinyl, cassette tapes and CDs.
But, yeah this ad is certainly well done.

March 11, 2024 1:04 pm  #4

Yes it ran last night on CTV but I didn't watch the whole ad til now.  Did it run 3 minutes last night on the broadcast? Sometimes what is on Youtube and on TV are not the same.  Some Super Bowl ads are 90 seconds on Youtube but only 60 or 30 during the broadcast.  

March 11, 2024 9:02 pm  #5

I saw it on ABC last night...had a hunch who the ad was for before it ended.  Good ad, I thought.   Been a subscriber since 2011

Yesterday 1:49 am  #6

Yesterday 9:54 am  #7

Still using it daily and love it.

Yesterday 10:56 am  #8

Sounds like they are concerned if Howard Stern decides to retire after 2025. 

Yesterday 12:27 pm  #9

No thanks. i'm old now, into my 40's. I listen to Joe Rogan podcasts etc on Spotify in my car (Model Y has it built in). 
Also, I have unlimited audio streaming and Tune in plus FM so yeah no thanks.
Sirius XM needs to adapt..either carry video streaming options for back seat (Think Road trips, kids mini vans) or sign a more relevant big names like Rogan (etc). Is Howard 100 still on? How old is Howard now?

[img]https://1drv.ms/i/s!AuF8Sd9OzvCbg5oAXaSlHwJVUvLp-w?e=arHBuk[/img]

Yesterday 1:07 pm  #10

Glad this post came up today.  Reminded me to cancel my service which automatically renews in a few weeks.  I just don't listen to Sirius enough to bother with it.  I have been a customer for close to 8 years but haven't been a heavy user for a long time. 

Kind of annoying that they offer you fantastic deals (50% off for a year) when you are leaving.  The guy kept telling me what a loyal customer I was but I mentioned to him that they didn't offer discounts or perks when I was doing business with them.  But now I am gone, and I know they will pepper me with other offers in the weeks ahead.

Bell is next on the hit list.  Probably moving back to Rogers after being with Bell for about 11 years for all of the phone, internet and TV services.  Too pricey now and Rogers is offering a similar package that is a lot less.  Also I have missed Rogers local TV channel here in K/W.

Yesterday 1:34 pm  #11

Living in London, a radio desert, I listen to SXM almost exclusively.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Yesterday 3:35 pm  #12

looking at their plan options, it would be nice if they had a cheap plan like all access app only but instead car only, I never used it online or the app, and i have no desire.

would be even nicer if i can build my own plan, pick 50 or 30 stations, car only, for like a Toonie a month. I might consider returning then 

https://www.siriusxm.ca/plans/?intcmp=SubscribeComparePlans_NA_CAHeaderEN_NA_NA

Yesterday 4:33 pm  #13

Cheese2RF wrote:

would be even nicer if i can build my own plan, pick 50 or 30 stations, car only, for like a Toonie a month. I might consider returning then 

Well that would cut their revenue by about 80%

Yesterday 4:36 pm  #14

During a morning analyst call, Witz conceded the launch of the new SiriusXM streaming app for some longtime customers had been “disruptive,”

That's putting it mildly. I'm at 20+ year app-only subscriber, and the new app has completely buried the original "radio" channels. Now specials, podcasts, interviews, etc dominate.  

For me, the strength was always human-programmed commercial-free linear radio channels in more formats than FM can provide. Yes, they're still there, but the experience is now like other streaming platforms that may be free or I'm already paying for.