sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 11, 2024 8:48 am  #1

Sirius XM Launches Odd New Campaign To Win Back Subscribers

I'm not sure if this aired in Canada or not, but on Sunday night's U.S. Oscar broadcast, viewers were "treated" (if that's the right word) to a new campaign from Sirius XM. One of the highlights was a short film called "A Life In Sound." It portrays a young girl putting on some music and dancing to it. As the three minute video goes on, she ages and the music changes, until at the end, she's an elderly woman still listening to her favourite - albeit far different - music. 

It all comes as the satellite broadcaster is losing customers. According to Radio Ink:

"The addition of about 131,000 new self-pay subscribers in the last quarter was overshadowed by an annual drop of 445,000 in the self-pay subscriber count, settling at a 1.6% monthly churn rate."

I found the video to be very well made but also kinda creepy for some reason. See what you think. 

March 11, 2024 10:10 am  #2

Re: Sirius XM Launches Odd New Campaign To Win Back Subscribers

It gets an A+ for clearly stating who they are, but I give it an F for desire to proceed and order.
There's nothing really there to convince me that I should spend any money on the product. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 11, 2024 12:30 pm  #3

Exactly.
People listen to music on many different platforms these days, and for free.
This ad does not say why paying for Sirius gives you any advantage.
Heck, polls show people still tune into good old fashioned FM radio in decent numbers, proven by how many commercials they still carry.
Also many people have lots of collected music in the form of vinyl, cassette tapes and CDs.
But, yeah this ad is certainly well done.

March 11, 2024 1:04 pm  #4

Yes it ran last night on CTV but I didn't watch the whole ad til now.  Did it run 3 minutes last night on the broadcast? Sometimes what is on Youtube and on TV are not the same.  Some Super Bowl ads are 90 seconds on Youtube but only 60 or 30 during the broadcast.  

March 11, 2024 9:02 pm  #5

I saw it on ABC last night...had a hunch who the ad was for before it ended.  Good ad, I thought.   Been a subscriber since 2011