sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 7, 2024 8:23 pm  #1

Viewers Will Miss At Least 2 Jays TV Games This Season, Both In May

That's because, like last year, they're scheduled to "air" only on AppleTV+. 

The streaming network will have exclusive rights to the Jays-Nationals game in Washington, D.C. on May 3rd and their home game vs. the Rays on May 17th. It means those matches will only be available to radio listeners here, with no coverage allowed on Sportsnet. 

And there could be more. So far Apple and MLB have only released the list for the first half of the season, up until the end of June. It's possible there could be more, especially if the Jays are in contention in the latter months of the summer.

Of course, if you subscribe to AppleTV, you may not even notice. There are no territorial or local blackouts for any of the broadcasts. 

March 7, 2024 9:21 pm  #2

Re: Viewers Will Miss At Least 2 Jays TV Games This Season, Both In May

Oh, we'll notice.  The overall productions are vastly different, and the Apple TV+ presentation isn't the better of the two.

March 7, 2024 9:33 pm  #3

Radio Bob wrote:

Oh, we'll notice.  The overall productions are vastly different, and the Apple TV+ presentation isn't the better of the two.

I agree.  I watched three of the Apple TV+ streams last year and all had too many technical glitches, both sound and picture.  

March 8, 2024 10:10 am  #4

The 2023 version of the Apple TV+ broadcasts, in terms of the talent who broadcasted them, was better than the 2022 version which was borderline unwatchable (they spent more time tasting the ballpark food on camera than discussing the game that was being played on the field).

The 2023 version also had a feature that allowed you to watch the video but listen to an overlay of the radio feed in case you found the Apple broadcasters annoying (which some did, though I didn't mind them).

March 8, 2024 5:08 pm  #5

eladb wrote:

The 2023 version of the Apple TV+ broadcasts, in terms of the talent who broadcasted them, was better than the 2022 version which was borderline unwatchable (they spent more time tasting the ballpark food on camera than discussing the game that was being played on the field).

The 2023 version also had a feature that allowed you to watch the video but listen to an overlay of the radio feed in case you found the Apple broadcasters annoying (which some did, though I didn't mind them).

I looked it up at the time, and they were major market MLB baseball broadcasters in the US.

March 9, 2024 12:08 pm  #6

It's the future of broadcasting, well future? Sky in UK has a lot more choices within the broadcast than Canada can dream of .   With the customizable new multiview experience in the Apple TV app on Apple TV 4K, users can see up to four games at once on the screen including Major League Soccer matches, Major League Baseball “Friday Night Baseball” games, and live studio shows “MLS 360” and “MLB Big Inning.