sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 28, 2024 9:18 pm  #1

Law & Order Toronto Wins The Night For CITY TV On Feb 22nd.

CITY TV must have been pleased with initial ratings for Law & Order Toronto Criminal Intent. The show's debut logged in with 1.1 million viewers in overnight ratings and was the highest rated show last Thursday by a good margin.  Numbers will increase when digital and 7 day recorded viewing are added in.  Here is a look at what Canadians were watching this past Thursday from brioux.tv...https://brioux.tv/blog/2024/02/28/law-order-toronto-criminal-intent-opens-big-at-over-1-1m-citytv-viewers/

February 28, 2024 9:55 pm  #2

Re: Law & Order Toronto Wins The Night For CITY TV On Feb 22nd.

Oh man, episode 2 of Law and Order Toronto sounds like a snoozefest to follow up on episode one.
A shooting at a condo?
Gee how riveting.
The first episode was a murder linked to bitcoin or something.
For crying out loud, Toronto has had real life crimes like the serial murders in the LGBTQ village,the murders on the Danforth, the Little Italy killing linked to organized crime,
How about rampant luxury car thefts and car jackings?
Or a fictional story I just made up, somebody dies during the CN Tower edge walk when a cable breaks and a tourist plunges to their death, then the detectives find it was not an accident?
Hell you could even do a humorous episode about capibaras on the loose from the High Park zoo.
I really hope the rest of season one suddenly improves, otherwise Law and Order Toronto will be about as exciting as a City News radio traffic report.

Last edited by newsguy1 (February 28, 2024 9:56 pm)

February 28, 2024 10:09 pm  #3

newsguy1 wrote:

Oh man, episode 2 of Law and Order Toronto sounds like a snoozefest to follow up on episode one.
A shooting at a condo?
Gee how riveting.
For crying out loud, Toronto has had real life crimes like the serial murders in the LGBTQ village,the murders on the Danforth, the Little Italy killing linked to organized crime,
Or a fictional story I just made up, somebody dies during the CN Tower edge walk when a cable breaks and a tourist plunges to their death, then the detectives find it was not an accident?
Hell you could even do a humorous episode about capibaras on the loose from the High Park zoo.
I really hope the rest of season one suddenly improves, otherwise Law and Order Toronto will be about as exciting as a City News radio traffic report.

I can't wait for the spin-off: Law & Order: Toronto, Parking Enforcement

February 28, 2024 10:13 pm  #4

Actually, next week could be a big number again for the local version. The reason? On Thursday, March 7th, all the U.S. networks are pre-empting most of primetime, starting at 9 PM, for The State Of The Union address. There is a Law & Order episode scheduled on NBC at 8, but I'm not sure if it's new or not. 

If not, it means City TV would have the only first run episode of the franchise on that night anywhere in North America. 

February 28, 2024 10:22 pm  #5

February 28, 2024 10:55 pm  #6

newsguy1 wrote:

A shooting at a condo?
Gee how riveting.

I like the CN Tower plot idea.

The Law and Order Toronto writers room need to tackle the Barry and Honey Sherman story, make it into two episodes with the initial double murder and the investigation of the extended family and friends and then a cliffhanger third death with the victim found positioned exactly the same as the Sherman couple had been. The second episode: the detectives figure out the third victim was in fact the person who murdered Barry and Honey. They finally track down the family member who was also the family lawyer who took matters into their own hands.

Other ideas: A junior hockey team wins the championship game and then several members sexually assault a female sports reporter.

The owner and face of a giant grocery store chain is secretly getting blackmailed for price fixing and his wife who he forced to sign a prenup is behind it... the forensic accountant, her lover, ends up dead in a grocery store dumpster, both husband and wife get caught.

Last edited by betaylored (February 28, 2024 11:12 pm)

February 28, 2024 11:07 pm  #7

Boy, you are really giving the writers some great material to rip off.
But joking aside, if ordinary shlubs like us can come with worthy story ideas, how come the first two real episodes are so dull by comparison?
Oh, and as for radio plots, remember years ago how A Toronto radio DJ staged an April Fools Day stunt where someone apparently came into his studio and shot him dead?
I believe that was Mike Cooper.
How about a Law and Order episode where it was not just a stunt but a real murder?

February 28, 2024 11:33 pm  #8

I may have missed this; but is Law & Order Toronto being shown on NBC in the states?

February 28, 2024 11:59 pm  #9

No, Canada only for the moment. 

February 29, 2024 12:42 am  #10

Since we don't see Canadian TV ratings often.  It is also interesting to note that both Wheel of Fortune and Jeapordy at 7 and 7:30 on YES TV and other independent stations were the highest rated shows other than Law and Order at 8 and 9pm.

Proof again that "prime time" is more than just 8-11pm.  CTV National News at 11pm not that long ago was and maybe still is one of the highest rated programs in Canada, usually in the top 5.

February 29, 2024 1:19 am  #11

newsguy1 wrote:

Gee how riveting.
For crying out loud, Toronto has had real life crimes.

I guess you don’t follow Canadian news. That was a real story about Gerald Cotten that made world wide headlines and was featured on the national news, the Fifth Estate, W5, a documentary that debuted at Hot Docs and a six episode podcast series.

March 7, 2024 11:04 am  #12

In case anyone has missed episodes, tonight you can get caught up. Episode 3 airs at 8pm, episode 1 at 9pm and episode 2 at 10pm.

March 8, 2024 12:27 am  #13

Next week's episode is the one that perhaps might be the most famous and infamous story yet. It appears to centre on a crack smoking politician that somehow leads to a murder investigation. It may be "ripped from the headlines" but in this case, they appear to be pretty old headlines.

March 8, 2024 2:50 am  #14

RadioActive wrote:

Next week's episode is the one that perhaps might be the most famous and infamous story yet. It appears to centre on a crack smoking politician that somehow leads to a murder investigation. It may be "ripped from the headlines" but in this case, they appear to be pretty old headlines.

Would you rather they did an episode about the current mayor whose biggest headlines have been dealing with the deficit and getting along with the premier better than expected?

March 8, 2024 2:47 pm  #15

Tomas Barlow wrote:

Would you rather they did an episode about the current mayor whose biggest headlines have been dealing with the deficit and getting along with the premier better than expected?

Sounds more like 2 full hours of CFRB listening. 

March 13, 2024 10:59 pm  #16

RadioActive wrote:

This is what I was referring to in the promo. It airs Thursday night. 

New Law & Order Toronto episode to feature crack-smoking mayor