sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 6, 2024 5:25 pm  #1

Something You Never Thought You'd See: A New Network Soap Opera

Just when you thought the era of soap operas was all but dead on network over-the-air TV comes this - a brand new one ordered by CBS. It's scheduled to be called "The Gates," and it has a gimmick: it's the first one to ever centre entirely on a rich Black family. No word yet on when it debuts and just as importantly, what time slot it will occupy. 

Even if you're not a soap fan, which I'm not, this does have some significance. According to TV Line, if this comes to pass, it will be the first new network soap that gets on the air in a quarter of a century. Talk about having only One Life To Live!

CBS Developing New Daytime Soap About Wealthy Black Family

March 7, 2024 2:36 am  #2

Re: Something You Never Thought You'd See: A New Network Soap Opera

Strictly a guess-it will perhaps take the Y&R timeslot and Y&R will move off cable onto Paramount +.
I gather this idea from the fact that NBC moved a very popular soap to Peacock (In the States)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 7, 2024 7:30 am  #3

Re: Something You Never Thought You'd See: A New Network Soap Opera

Radiowiz wrote:

Strictly a guess-it will perhaps take the Y&R timeslot and Y&R will move off cable onto Paramount +.
I gather this idea from the fact that NBC moved a very popular soap to Peacock (In the States)

I can't see CBS moving their top rated daytime program to Paramount+. In the East/Central time zone they have Price Is Right/Local News/Y&R. In the Mountain/Pacific zone you have TPIR/Y&R/Local News. Winning combination either way. Bold&Beautiful might be a better candidate to move from the CBS daytime schedule. It's renewal comes up in 2025. As for the popularity of Days of Our Lives moving to Peacock, since 2014-15, when there only four soaps remaining, the NBC sudser has finished dead last every season. When CBS cancelled Guiding Light in 2009, it ranked 8th out of 8. When As The World Turns met the same fate in 2010, it was 7th out of 7 soaps.