sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 6, 2024 6:57 pm  #1

Winter PPM

A 25-54

98.1 CHFI.      12.0
boom 97.3.     11.6
CHUM 104.5.     8.5
KiSS 92.5.     8.0
999 Virgin Radio.     7.9
CityNews 680.     6.2
CBC Radio One.     6.1
Z 1035.     5.3
102.1 The Edge.    5.0
Q107.     4.7
INDIE 88.1.     3.0
Classical 96.3 FM.     2.9
News Talk 1010 - CFRB.        1.7
Sportsnet 590 The FAN.     1.4
CBC Music.     1.2
640 CFIQ.     1.2
FLOW987.     1.0
Energy 95-3.     1.0
93.5 Today Radio.     0.7
JAZZ.FM91.     0.6
TSN 1050.     0.5
Hot Country 88.5.     0.3
ZoomerRadio AM74.     0.1
106.5 Elmnt FM.     0.1
ICI Musique.      0.0

March 6, 2024 8:59 pm  #2

Re: Winter PPM

Q107 needs to find John Derringer in their contacts and ring him up before its too late.

The Corus cluster is in rough shape.

March 6, 2024 9:14 pm  #3

CHFI and Boom still #1 and #2 in 25-54 similar to last year, but Boom grew by 1.4 and .6 for CHFI. CHUM had a good book increasing 2.1 from last year.  Big drop for CBC Radio 1 with 6.1 compared to 8.8 last year.

Does Numeris release any daily or weekly cume numbers?   

March 6, 2024 9:53 pm  #4

Hurrah and congratulations Boom!
👏👏👏🎙️🎧🎶📻✨

March 6, 2024 10:01 pm  #5

RadioQuiz wrote:

Q107 needs to find John Derringer in their contacts and ring him up before its too late.

I'm not entirely sure but memory tells me that AM640 has never, ever been able to get out of that 1.2-1.4 trough they've been in for years, if not decades. No matter what they try, things never seem to improve. 

Also, it strikes me as very interesting that CJAD in Montreal, with its all talk format, is #1 in its market A12+, with a 28.4% share, which is actually up from the last book. I'm sure CFRB would kill for even half those results. What is Montreal doing that Toronto isn't?

March 6, 2024 10:27 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

It strikes me as very interesting that CJAD in Montreal, with its all talk format, is #1 in its market A12+, with a 28.4% share, which is actually up from the last book. I'm sure CFRB would kill for even half those results.

If CFRB even cares.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

March 6, 2024 10:46 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

Also, it strikes me as very interesting that CJAD in Montreal, with its all talk format, is #1 in its market A12+, with a 28.4% share, which is actually up from the last book. I'm sure CFRB would kill for even half those results. What is Montreal doing that Toronto isn't?

Existing in a completely different universe helps.

On the Francophone side, commercial N/T 98.5 has a 22 share 12+, followed by CBC with a 17.4

For French language stations content regulation has tilted listening heavily away from music stations. 

For English stations, historical content regulation coupled with lack of choice (There are three music stations...with some glaring format holes) has had a similar effect.

March 6, 2024 11:15 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

RadioQuiz wrote:

I'm not entirely sure but memory tells me that AM640 has never, ever been able to get out of that 1.2-1.4 trough they've been in for years, if not decades. No matter what they try, things never seem to improve. 

AM640 did well 18-34 SURPRISINGLY, and their TSL has improved.  Still work to do.

CJAD has always sat in about the same spot... they go up a bit and then down, and then up.   The morning show and afternoon show is what keeps them hanging on 25-54.  They used to do well at night too before they went to network shows.
Their newsroom gutting didn't have the same impact as CFRB - perhaps because they are basically located with CTV.

March 6, 2024 11:18 pm  #9

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

On the Francophone side, commercial N/T 98.5 has a 22 share 12+, followed by CBC with a 17.4

For French language stations content regulation has tilted listening heavily away from music stations. 

For English stations, historical content regulation coupled with lack of choice (There are three music stations...with some glaring format holes) has had a similar effect.

Helps as well that politics is a blood sport in Quebec and the public is very tuned in to local and provincial current affairs. Much more than Toronto.  Don't buy the point that the English audience in Montreal listens to talk because of a lack of English music stations.  They have access to many other sources for music. Even Montreals French music stations have a lot of talk and humour with well known personalities. 

March 6, 2024 11:21 pm  #10

paterson1 wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Don't buy the point that the English audience in Montreal listens to talk because of a lack of English music stations.  They have access to many other sources for music. 

What? Yes, they have access to many other sources of music. That's the point. FM there has no Classic Hits, no Alternative, no Country....so of course talk radio gets a higher share of overall listening.

March 6, 2024 11:22 pm  #11

paterson1 wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Even Montreals French music stations have a lot of talk and humour with well known personalities. 

Right, they have to since music can't be a draw. 

March 6, 2024 11:42 pm  #12

Any proof to back up these claims?  Have the ratings improved for music stations in Montreal and Ottawa since the hit/no hit reg was changed?  Any proof for the French stations how music can't be a draw.  How would you know what francophones consider a draw for music? 

Could be that the listeners in Montreal use radio differently and since they are generally more plugged into local politics is more of a reason for talk's popularity.  The regulations likely didn't have as much to do with this.  Country in Montreal?  Can't even get a one in Toronto.  

March 6, 2024 11:48 pm  #13

paterson1 wrote:

Any proof for the French stations how music can't be a draw.  How would you know what francophones consider a draw for music? 

Yes, literally the Montreal radio ratings. It's a clear cause and effect. The music stations can't reflect listener tase and therefore command a smaller share of listening. It's right there.

March 6, 2024 11:54 pm  #14

Here's what's streaming the most in Montreal when people have a choice:

https://www.shazam.com/charts/top-50/canada/montr%C3%A9al

March 7, 2024 12:25 am  #15

Who cares what people stream?  Radio and streaming are two different things and people listen to each for different reasons.  Radio can't compete with streaming and never will.  

There are popular talk stations like CHMP and their popularity doesn't have anything to do with what music other stations are playing or not playing. Is CHMP 98.5 still the highest rated radio station in Canada?  

Quebec's music stations like Energie, CKOI, Rouge and others tend to be more personality oriented and at least when I have heard them have more interaction with listeners.  I think their stations are more like you find in Europe and especially the UK. More banter, produced bits and talk even on music stations.  I find it hard to believe they all do this because the music isn't what listeners want to hear. 

And speaking of music stations, have the anglo stations in Montreal seen big increases since the hit/no hit was dropped? Are more francophones tuning in now?  The Beat and Virgin have big market shares, but they always have, and always had a large francophone audience.  

Last edited by paterson1 (March 7, 2024 12:27 am)

March 7, 2024 12:29 am  #16

Only one of these statements can be true...

Either:

Non-hit was effective because it reduced listenership to stations to which it applied, therefore helping those to which it did not

or...

Non-hit had no effect on listenership and therefore was completely ineffective as policy.

Last edited by RadioAaron (March 7, 2024 12:32 am)

March 7, 2024 12:31 am  #17

paterson1 wrote:

Who cares what people stream?  Radio and streaming are two different things and people listen to each for different reasons.  Radio can't compete with streaming and never will.  

There are popular talk stations like CHMP and their popularity doesn't have anything to do with what music other stations are playing or not playing. Is CHMP 98.5 still the highest rated radio station in Canada?  

Quebec's music stations like Energie, CKOI, Rouge and others tend to be more personality oriented and at least when I have heard them have more interaction with listeners.  I think their stations are more like you find in Europe and especially the UK. More banter, produced bits and talk even on music stations.  I find it hard to believe they all do this because the music isn't what listeners want to hear. 

And speaking of music stations, have the anglo stations in Montreal seen big increases since the hit/no hit was dropped? Are more francophones tuning in now?  The Beat and Virgin have big market shares, but they always have, and always had a large francophone audience.  

Yes, the one radio market in Canada that is the least reflective of peoples' musical taste has the highest proportion of talk radio listening for other reasons. Great point.

March 7, 2024 12:31 am  #18

paterson1 wrote:

Who cares what people stream?   

The people streaming.

March 7, 2024 12:33 am  #19

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

The people streaming.

Yes, but we are talking about music on radio not streaming.

March 7, 2024 12:35 am  #20

paterson1 wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

The people streaming.

Streaming data is a very useful indicator of musical taste.

March 7, 2024 12:40 am  #21

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Yes, the one radio market in Canada that is the least reflective of peoples' musical taste has the highest proportion of talk radio listening for other reasons. Great point.

I thought Ottawa had the highest listenership of talk. If the music stations in Montreal, and Ottawa for that matter were so bad at reflecting the musical tastes of their communities, what is stopping Virgin to go classic rock, or  Rouge to go franco country? 

Could be that the abundance of top 40/CHR French and English in both markets does reflect the musical taste of
these communities. 

March 7, 2024 12:43 am  #22

paterson1 wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

I thought Ottawa had the highest listenership of talk. If the music stations in Montreal, and Ottawa for that matter were so bad at reflecting the musical tastes of their communities, what is stopping Virgin to go classic rock, or  Rouge to go franco country? 

Could be that the abundance of top 40/CHR French and English in both markets does reflect the musical taste of
these communities. 

In Montreal, French stations aren't allowed to reflect the taste of their communities and there aren't enough English stations to do that.

Last edited by RadioAaron (March 7, 2024 12:44 am)

March 7, 2024 12:45 am  #23

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

The people streaming.

Streaming data is a very useful indicator of musical taste.

But not always much for radio. Streaming offers hundreds of thousands of songs, radio doesn't.  The streaming charts are also made up of of people who may listen to the same song 25 times in a day and other songs for only 30 seconds to count as a play.   

March 7, 2024 12:47 am  #24

RadioAaron wrote:

Only one of these statements can be true...

Either:

Non-hit was effective because it reduced listenership to stations to which it applied, therefore helping those to which it did not

or...

Non-hit had no effect on listenership and therefore was completely ineffective as policy.

I am not sure how you would prove either, or if it matters. 

March 7, 2024 12:52 am  #25

You're literally trying to argue that music radio not being reflective of any kind of empirical data of musical taste has no effect on listening levels.

This is so absurdly ridiculous, and you have to know that.

March 7, 2024 1:05 am  #26

Now you are trying to reason with me...please.  I don't accept your argument that the reason both Montreal and Ottawa have a higher listenership of talk is because the music on other stations doesn't reflect what people want to hear.  To me that is a very shaky hill to plant your flag. 

We seem to be ignoring the fact that both Montreal and especially Ottawa are both political towns and it is safe to assume that talk radio/news/opinion maybe even sports would be more of a factor in these cities than most others. 

Look at Washington DC.  Three of the top 10 stations are opinion/news/talk, and the top billing station in the US is one of them.  Why does talk do so well in Washington?  The reason is obvious, and similar to Montreal and Ottawa.  

March 7, 2024 7:40 am  #27

RadioAaron wrote:

Here's what's streaming the most in Montreal when people have a choice:

https://www.shazam.com/charts/top-50/canada/montr%C3%A9al

Looking at that list, I have at least "heard of" 25 artists. as for the actual songs, 0 out of 50.