sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 5, 2024 9:03 pm  #1

An Old T.O. Radio Ad That May Seem A Bit Ironic In Hindsight

I came across this while going through the archives. It's an ad for 1050 CHUM back in 1946, picturing a conductor with the Toronto Symphony Orchestra and a music expert praising the AM station for devoting airtime to "beautiful music."

The copy reads:

"CHUM's presentation, "The Album of Beautiful Music", may well be termed public service broadcasting . . . the station is to be congratulated on helping to make Toronto radio a vehicle for good music. I am sure the large audience of music lovers in this area will join with those active in musical circles, in appreciation of CHUM's high cultural standards in afternoon broadcasting." 

It was just a little over 10 years later that CHUM made history by going all rock and roll, leaving then owner Allan Waters reportedly besieged with endless phone calls demanding he "turn off that noise."

I wonder what that same maestro would have had to say about that? (Perhaps he might have switched to CHUM-FM, which was all classical by that time.)

March 6, 2024 8:49 am  #2

Re: An Old T.O. Radio Ad That May Seem A Bit Ironic In Hindsight

"The switch to Classical" wouldn't have been possible for another 17 years. September 1, 1963 is the day CHUM FM was born.

March 6, 2024 8:54 am  #3

Re: An Old T.O. Radio Ad That May Seem A Bit Ironic In Hindsight

That was meant as tongue in cheek, but I guess you could say the music expert was really disappointed!