sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 5, 2024 2:02 pm  #1

A Great Moment In "Radio Revenge" After A Lousy Layoff

I used to work with a woman who, like so many in broadcasting, was laid off, along with her sister, who also toiled for the same company. She'd been at the radio station in question for a while and, as often happens, the severance she was offered was miniscule and frankly, insulting. But the company refused to give her a penny more.

So she and her sibling hired a lawyer to try and get a much higher settlement.

It went on for a while, but eventually she won her case, with a court agreeing the pair was being nickeled and dimed by the giant corporation and both should be paid a lot more. Eventually they were given a cheque for a far higher amount and then decided to go out to a restaurant to celebrate, using the money they'd just be given.

But she couldn't resist getting in one more dig at the cheapskates who used to employ her.

She and her sister had their pictures taken sitting in the diner's booth, with a glass of champagne in their hands. They sent it to the executive who decided to let them go with a note attached that read, "Thanks for dinner!"

I'm not sure why, but when she told me the story years later, the whole thing struck me as hilarious. It was a small victory, but sometimes, those are the best kind!

March 5, 2024 2:31 pm  #2

Re: A Great Moment In "Radio Revenge" After A Lousy Layoff

If they spent the cheque on even a decent dinner, could it have been all that much? I hope they had plenty left over ...

March 5, 2024 2:34 pm  #3

Saul wrote:

If they spent the cheque on even a decent dinner, could it have been all that much? I hope they had plenty left over ...

Symbolism rules.

March 5, 2024 2:38 pm  #4

Saul wrote:

It was my understanding it was only a tiny part of the cheque. But they believe the guy they sent the picture to got the message. 

March 5, 2024 2:51 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

Saul wrote:

It was my understanding it was only a tiny part of the cheque. But they believe the guy they sent the picture to got the message. 

Great. I hope the lawyer only took a small percentage as his (or her) cut.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 5, 2024 3:08 pm  #6

I'm of two minds with these tales...they're fun to read about but I still ask myself, "to what end?".

Don't get me wrong - I'm glad your friend and her sister got what they were owed; companies are known for chintzing out on severance packages and it's crummy that employees have to fight for every last penny they've earned.

I once worked with a guy who insisted on adhering to the urban legend/cliche of paying off his final student loan installment in pennies. He really thought he was "sticking it to the man" and made the arrangement with a bank to pick up a ridiculous amount of boxed (and rolled?) pennies just so he could cart said boxes to some other financial institution to clear the balance sheet. Don't think he ever realized that this supposed "middle finger" act put much more work on him than it did anyone else.

I know people who have resigned from their position torch that very place of employment during their exit interview. I get the temptation of wanting to blast an employer if you've been fired but if you've resigned, I just don't see the point in it - you're exiting the company on your own steam, you should be on cloud nine.

When the time comes for my exit interview, I'll likely pass. I'd much rather close the chapter, look forward, and move on.

March 5, 2024 4:41 pm  #7

I worked in one newsroom where, as it is in all newsrooms then, it was a 24-7 operation.
That meant there was an overnight shift.
But it was not assigned to one or two people, but rotated among all staff so every six weeks or so we had to do a sting of overnights.
Anyway we had this one woman who was a fairly new hire.
But she waited until getting hired to declare to the boss that she refused to do overnights.
She never mentioned that in her job interviews.
Anyway she was told firmly that rotating the overnight shift was just the way it was.
Finally after being trained and working for weeks on days and evenings, she went over to the shift schedule on the wall and saw she was on several weeks of overnights.
The skeds were hung side-by-side on the wall.
She took a red crayon and drew a line through her name and then walked out the door.
She never returned, except oner thing -- she left her winter boots behind at her locker.
Some smartie took them and put them on a shelf with a note reading "These boots were made for walkin'.'"
They stayed there for some time until they disappeared in a newsroom furniture rearrangement.