sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 3, 2024 7:49 am  #1

Fans Upset After Score Bug Missing From Hockey Night In Canada On Sat.

It happened during part of the first period of the game between the Habs and the Lightning on Saturday night. Those "bugs" bug some people on things like TV series or during the news, but they've become vital for a quick scoring update when you tune into a game.

There's no word on what happened, but apparently the supered score was back for the last two periods. 

Hockey Night In Canada viewers lament lack of scorebug during Saturday’s broadcast

I well remember the day they added the bug to the TV newscast at my station. It was a new idea back then and everyone in the place hated it. It occupied the bottom right corner of the screen and never went away. To add insult to injury, the orgiinal one was a combo of bright orange and white, which was very distracting. Our news director explained it was designed to instantly remind viewers what channel they were watching should a rating service happen to call or send you a diary. 

I still don't like them, but now that they've become completely ubiquitous, most times I can ignore ithem. But the animated ones in the middle of the show (like Global's current "50 years" tribute to itself) can be irritating and harder to ignore. Which, I guess, is the point.

March 3, 2024 12:49 pm  #2

Re: Fans Upset After Score Bug Missing From Hockey Night In Canada On Sat.

Another weird thing from hockey last night:  The first 10 minutes of the Leafs Rangers game had no commentary, just crowd and game sounds (all the graphics were fine).   It was great and reminded me of the time the French commentators were on strike so flipping to CBC French got a game with no announcers.    It feels much more like being there with out announcers once the sound is turned up.   I've got Dolby 5.1 surround so it was a nice change.    It would be nice if no announcers could be selected somehow.    Some of the international auto racing feeds have multi languages and one with no commentary but that isn't available in Canada, just the UK and Europe.

I also notice that when there's a minute left in the period, the voice of Paul Morris is used to announce it.    He's 85 and held the announcing job for 38 seasons, from October 14, 1961 to May 31, 1999 so I don't think he's attending    A quick check on the internet confirmed they use a recording.   I think he's only there on occasion.

Last edited by SpinningWheel (March 3, 2024 12:57 pm)

March 3, 2024 3:39 pm  #3

Re: Fans Upset After Score Bug Missing From Hockey Night In Canada On Sat.

We can thank FOX for the score bug. It was one of the new features the network introduced to their NFL telecasts in 1993 after outbidding CBS who had held the rights since 1956. As for the network bugs, they first appeared on the network news feature reports which were often fed to local stations newscasts. The local newscast would often air the story with the "John Jones Reporting for CBS News in Boston" acknowledgement edited out at the end. With the network logo bug on the screen you always knew the source of the story.