sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 2, 2024 8:48 pm  #1

Visit America’s Last Morse-Code Station

It's the only one left in North America, and where Morse-Code once ruled the seas, this station is now the realm of hobbyists known as the "Radio Squirrels." It's located near San Francisco. 

America’s Last Morse-Code Station

March 2, 2024 9:23 pm  #2

Re: Visit America’s Last Morse-Code Station

This is great. Thanks for posting.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

March 2, 2024 9:32 pm  #3

Morse Code is the original "digital" form of transmission.

A series of  dots & dashes, transmitter ON and transmitter OFF, or ones and zeros, if you will.

A "dash" is three times the length of a single "dot".  Letters, numbers and punctuation use a combination of both.

It is also a "compressed" format with the most common letters using the least number of dots or dashes, allowing for simple and quick relaying of messages.

The letter "E" is a single dot, "T" uses a single dash, and letters such as J, Q, and Y use combinations of three dashes and a single dot.

The letter "S" uses three dots.  The letter "O" uses three dashes.  This provides a simple to transmit, easy to remember, emergency code  "SOS"

March 2, 2024 9:38 pm  #4

During the second world war the opening notes of Beethoven's fifth symphony became associated with allied success.
The opening is dit dit dit DAAAW.  dit dit dit DAAAW.
Which is morse code for the letter V for victory.
Churchill also always flashed the V finger sign.

March 2, 2024 10:07 pm  #5

Lots of Morse code airport etc beacons on longwave below 500 KHz ....

March 2, 2024 10:35 pm  #6

Saul wrote:

Over the past couple of years, Canada's LW beacons are one by one being decommissioned.

DXing them has always been rewarding. They always ID. That's all they do.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

March 2, 2024 11:10 pm  #7

turkeytop wrote:

Saul wrote:

Over the past couple of years, Canada's LW beacons are one by one being decommissioned.
DXing them has always been rewarding. They always ID. That's all they do.

It was always fun to work on my Morse code ... but admittedly it got boring after awhile. AM is more fun, with all kinds of interesting stuff to listen to - Cuban jazz, the Mexican anthem at 0100 and 0700 EST, African American preachers building in intensity and breaking into song, unbelievably detailed menus for lunches (right down to the cheese pierogies, green peas and tomato juice) at senior group dinners on 1240 WJMC Rice Lake Wisconin, duelling banjos on stations in the US deep south, conspiracy theories overnight, and a lot of very angry people pretty well most of the time...

March 3, 2024 9:36 am  #8

I read an interesting book a year or two ago called the Victorian Internet. It argued that Morse code and the telegraph opened up Victorian society in a way similar to how the Internet opened up our society.