sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 29, 2024 10:07 pm  #1

Playlists

I have wondered about this subject for awhile and I would like some help.  I was in the media long before computers and now I have a question.
I am an avid radio listener and am wondering if there is a company that supplies playlists for radio stations?
My curiosity has been piqued when I hear the same song on different stations.  
I listen to a lot of oldies/classic hits stations through my internet radio.  Songs I haven't heard in years all of a sudden are on similar formatted stations within hours of each other.  
So, is there a company that supplies stations with these tunes via computer.  Of course I know Cancon must be added in. but why do the same years-old songs all of a sudden show up on three or four stations of similar formats?

February 29, 2024 10:55 pm  #2

Re: Playlists

While it’s mostly a fluke, there are charts out there that track recurrent and gold songs. Sometimes a song will be heard on a TV show or in a movie and the song tests well with audiences and moves up the gold charts. Then radio stations begin to play it again. Radio stations don’t get their playlist from the same spot, unless they’re the same format in the same company.

March 1, 2024 11:10 am  #3

I always thought it was the "music programmer" or whatever they call their job title that puts it together.  CHUM's is asleep at the wheel. Mix that stuff up already!

March 1, 2024 11:14 am  #4

Ale Ont wrote:

I have wondered about this subject for awhile and I would like some help.  I was in the media long before computers and now I have a question.
I am an avid radio listener and am wondering if there is a company that supplies playlists for radio stations?
My curiosity has been piqued when I hear the same song on different stations.  
I listen to a lot of oldies/classic hits stations through my internet radio.  Songs I haven't heard in years all of a sudden are on similar formatted stations within hours of each other.  
So, is there a company that supplies stations with these tunes via computer.  Of course I know Cancon must be added in. but why do the same years-old songs all of a sudden show up on three or four stations of similar formats?

Stations do hire 3rd parties who perform what's called a listener test \ studies with actual listeners of formats so it would stand to reason that stations with similar formats (especially classic and retro) will have the same songs popup without fail in similar markets. These same test will provide feedback to the stations about interruption frequency and voice track quality etc. its not a cheap process so stations will go several years between these studies. but they are important to find a balance where you can actually earn $

March 1, 2024 12:07 pm  #5

March 1, 2024 1:00 pm  #6

markow202 wrote:

I always thought it was the "music programmer" or whatever they call their job title that puts it together.  CHUM's is asleep at the wheel. Mix that stuff up already!

It’s counterintuitive, but stations with a broad playlist tend to perform lower in the ratings. When people are turning on their favourite radio station for a quick fix, they want to hear at least one of their current favourite songs.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (March 1, 2024 1:00 pm)

March 1, 2024 3:41 pm  #7

Tomas Barlow wrote:

markow202 wrote:

It’s counterintuitive, but stations with a broad playlist tend to perform lower in the ratings. When people are turning on their favourite radio station for a quick fix, they want to hear at least one of their current favourite songs.

Perhaps a case of listeners not knowing what they like, but liking what they know.