sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 27, 2024 2:24 pm  #1

AM640 Resurrects Old Corus Weekend Show On Fridays

AM640 appears to be harkening back to an old show for one of its new afternoon offerings. Kelly Cutrara is now hosting a program called "Cross Talk," an hour-long discussion that brings Corus talk show hosts from across the country onto the Ontario airwaves to talk about current events. 

If this sounds familiar, it's because they've done it before. Anyone remember "A Word In Edgewise." a Sunday morning effort hosted by CKNW's Jon McComb and two random Corus talk hosts, discussing the headlines of the week? I actually liked that program but it was cancelled after only a few months on the air. 

The "new" show appears to resurrect the idea and it airs every Friday at 1 PM - directly opposite a one-hour similar pundit show called "Free For All" with Amanda Galbraith that goes cross-country on the iHeart Radio Network and airs here on rival CFRB.

February 27, 2024 6:26 pm  #2

Re: AM640 Resurrects Old Corus Weekend Show On Fridays

"LETS DISCUSS IT" ran on CFRB 1010 in the 90's and earlier.  Same concept.  What made it great was Andy Barrie and Ed Neeham on the same show.

February 27, 2024 8:11 pm  #3

But can we get this type of programming on the weekend?
Corus at least has Roy Green and 640 lately has had Ben Mulroney.
Otherwise it is the endless parade of infomercial shows... the employment show, the buy gold show, the real estate show.
I guess the pet vet show and the home improvement show might be good for some people, but I have no interest in those.
The trivia show is mildly entertaining, but three hours where Jason Agnew spends most of it explaining the rules and endlessly listing the prizes. before going into 20 commercials.

February 27, 2024 10:30 pm  #4

"A Word In Edgewise" used to run at 8 AM on Sunday mornings over AM640. It was one of the few early shows that was actually interesting, even if it was pre-taped two days earlier. It showcased talk show hosts from other cities you would otherwise never get to hear in T.O. and I really enjoyed it. 

Sadly, it didn't last long. But I do enjoy most of Ben Mulroney's efforts on the weekends. It's a lot better than two hours of CP24 audio on CFRB. 

February 27, 2024 10:37 pm  #5

John Moore used to host a weekend review show with the various hosts. Can't remember the name of the show. 

February 28, 2024 5:04 am  #6

cash wrote:

John Moore used to host a weekend review show with the various hosts. Can't remember the name of the show. 

Was it Viewpoints?  I'm guessing too

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

February 28, 2024 12:03 pm  #7

For a second, based on the title, I was hoping they were going to start airing old episodes of A View From Space. 

February 28, 2024 1:39 pm  #8

Jody Thornton wrote:

cash wrote:

Yes It was. I did that show many times, in the good old days of 1010

February 28, 2024 1:50 pm  #9

Jody Thornton wrote:

A common and appealing enough name in talk radio, but interestingly, also the name of that Todd Van Der Heyden show they rolled out to much fanfare in 2019. That one seems to have quietly ended in early 2021.

February 28, 2024 5:16 pm  #10

cash wrote:John Moore used to host a weekend review show with the various hosts. Can't remember the name of the show. 

This was the name. Used to air Saturday afternoons. 

Last edited by cash (February 28, 2024 5:17 pm)