sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 19, 2024 2:30 pm  #1

CFOS Owen Sound FM Application Information On Website

I have seen other stations do something like this before but not as prominent.  CFOS AM in Owen Sound has the information explaining why they want to move to FM front and centre on their website.  https://www.560cfos.ca/

February 19, 2024 2:54 pm  #2

Re: CFOS Owen Sound FM Application Information On Website

the crtc website has 90 positive interventions for this application, so clearly people do care.....
https://applications.crtc.gc.ca/ListeInterventionList/Default-Defaut.aspx?en=2024-11&dt=i&lang=e&S=O&PA=B&PT=NC&PST=A

February 20, 2024 10:47 pm  #3

90 positive interventions of support.  Shows the value of a station being local and still serving the community.  Listened to CFOS earlier today and their 5pm news, weather, sports, business package was 14 minutes in length. 

Last edited by paterson1 (February 20, 2024 10:48 pm)

February 26, 2024 12:20 pm  #4

Their proposal would have CFOS at 89.3 on the FM band with 1.5 kilowatts of power. Not sure what frequencies are available in the area but given the terrain of the Grey Bruce area (rocky and hilly) that 1.5 kilowatts won't cover that much territory with a solid signal even if radiating from a tower at 600 feet.

Bayshore knows what they are doing and I wish them luck.

February 26, 2024 1:43 pm  #5

They will need more power to cover the area.People on the support list are outside the new FM station range.

February 26, 2024 1:52 pm  #6

I bet they end up asking to keep the AM going indefinitely

February 26, 2024 2:50 pm  #7

I think they should have applied for more power. CFOS covers so much area during the day - all of Georgian bay. It comes ok here in Peterborough during the day.
1.5 kW will only cover the town, or as they say, the area they are licensed to serve.

February 26, 2024 3:34 pm  #8

I can just get a staticky signal on 560 during the day in North York, but it's there and it's mostly listenable, depending on your noise tolerance. 

February 26, 2024 5:32 pm  #9

I'd imagine there'd be savings on the costs of running the AM stick, and the potential for any real estate gains if the FM requires less land...

February 26, 2024 8:33 pm  #10

I believe CFOS only plans to simulcast on 560 for 3-6 months when they get the FM up and running.  The AM station's transmitter needs to be replaced and major work done at the transmitter site south of town so I doubt they will build both a new studio with new equipment for FM and all of the expense for whatever needs to be done on 560 to keep it on the air. The AM tower land will be worth good money.  

Bayshore has their own FM tower which has their two existing stations, Country 93 and Mix 106.  Bounce FM rents off of Bayshore's FM tower, and other clients may be renting space as well.  CFOS FM would be at the top of the structure and apparently the frequency and power will give them their current daytime service area of CFOS AM which is below.

Currently they actually do reach a larger area in the daytime (areas like Perry Sound, south of Sudbury, north of Toronto etc.) with their distant and fringe signals but they derive no revenue from these areas and don't cater and rarely acknowledge them.

In the evening pattern, the CFOS AM signal is not reliable not far outside of town, even unlistenable.  At least the new FM signal will give them exactly the same pattern day and night and this is what they want.  Hockey broadcasts are a big deal and the Owen Sound Attack evening broadcasts are not listenable often  with the night time pattern in rural areas not far outsie the city.  

The CFOS service area is the red configuration on the map and the new FM signal apparently will give them this day and night.  This is also the area where the station brings in ad revenue. 

Last edited by paterson1 (February 26, 2024 8:35 pm)

February 27, 2024 8:18 am  #11

The new service area on the CRTC application  is about have the size of the current red area..

February 27, 2024 1:22 pm  #12

The FM signal will be mostly for Owen sound and area maybe as far as Collingwood to the east due to the escarpment (blue mountain) it wont reach as good as the AM one.