sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 21, 2024 9:18 am  #1

Another Toronto Morning Show Host Laid Up By Surgery

Is there something in the water Toronto morning show hosts are drinking? Yet another one is recovering after surgery, the third one in the last few months. 

This time it's morning drive talker Greg Brady, who is off the air on AM640 for a bit recovering from knee surgery. Ben Mulroney has temporarily taken his place. (Whether than means he won't be available for the station's weekend morning show remains to be seen.)

Jerry Agar also had knee surgery a few weeks ago, but was back before a mic within two weeks.

And Alex Pierson appears to have returned fulltime, despite the discomfort of recovering from hip replacement surgery, which she complains is not being made easier by the Ontario care health system. 

Hopefully, they're all back to full health soon and dancing the Charleston. If they ever could...

February 21, 2024 9:32 am  #2

Re: Another Toronto Morning Show Host Laid Up By Surgery

RadioActive wrote:

Greg Brady, who is off the air on AM640 for a bit recovering from knee surgery. ...Jerry Agar also had knee surgery a few weeks ago, ...Alex Pierson appears to have returned fulltime, despite the discomfort of recovering from hip replacement surgery, ...

When did Tonya Harding move to Toronto and which station is her show on?

February 21, 2024 9:53 am  #3

Wasn't Tonya from the Hammer?

February 21, 2024 10:47 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

Is there something in the water Toronto morning show hosts are drinking? Yet another one is recovering after surgery, the third one in the last few months. 

This time it's morning drive talker Greg Brady, who is off the air on AM640 for a bit recovering from knee surgery. Ben Mulroney has temporarily taken his place. (Whether than means he won't be available for the station's weekend morning show remains to be seen.)

Jerry Agar also had knee surgery a few weeks ago, but was back before a mic within two weeks.

And Alex Pierson appears to have returned fulltime, despite the discomfort of recovering from hip replacement surgery, which she complains is not being made easier by the Ontario care health system. 

Hopefully, they're all back to full health soon and dancing the Charleston. If they ever could...

As long as he doesn't drone on about it when he gets back.  I like Pierson's show, but before, during, and after the hip replacement, she spent far too much time talking about it.

February 21, 2024 1:15 pm  #5

I don't think there is anything hip about Alex Pierson and I'd be fine if she were replaced.

Last edited by newsguy1 (February 21, 2024 1:16 pm)

February 21, 2024 4:20 pm  #6

"Alex Pierson gets hip" reminds me of a headline that supposedly made it in the Times of London in the 1980s for an article on Labour Party leader Michael Foot chairing a committee on disarmament: "Foot Heads Arms Body"

I actually saw with my own eyes a Globe and Mail article on farmers appealing for assistance from then-Saskatchewan Premier Grant Devine: "Farmers Seek Devine Intervention"

And don't get me started on former New Brunswick Premier Bernard Lord.

February 21, 2024 4:40 pm  #7

Growing up in Vancouver, there was a mayor in the 1960s named Bill Rathie.
one newspaper headline highlighted some political objections he voiced in his day, dubbing them "The gripes of Rathie."

February 21, 2024 5:38 pm  #8

Ontario Provincial Election in May 1987...  After a riding realignment, two sitting MPPs end up going head to head to represent their respective parties in the election. Ian Scott for the Ontario Liberals against Susan Fish for the Ontario Conservatives... after the ballots were cast and counted, Ian Scott won the new riding handily.

The next morning, the front page of the Toronto Sun had a hilarious headline, complete with a classic Donato  cartoon...

"Scott guts Fish"

February 21, 2024 5:47 pm  #9

I wrote this ridiculous headline for the TV news place I worked at. It showed Wane Gretzky, recently traded from the Oilers to the Kings, trying on his new uniform, which is a customary photo op whenever a big player switches teams. 

And the cut line that went on screen was:

"He may going to L.A. but he has a New Jersey."

Always one of my favourites.

The other one I was always proud of came when Princess Diana had her first son, William. And the cut line was:

"Into every reign, a little life must fall."

February 21, 2024 6:20 pm  #10

Probably the most infamous newspaper headline of all time came from the New York Post in 1983. It has since become something of an icon among headline writers. It was a story about a decapitated murder victim discovered in a strip club. And the banner in bold letters on the Post's front page read:

Inappropriate? Maybe. But boy, it sold a lot of papers that day.

‘Headless Body in Topless Bar’: 40 years later, the story behind an iconic newspaper headline

February 21, 2024 7:10 pm  #11

Last edited by Hansa (February 21, 2024 7:12 pm)