sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 18, 2024 5:27 pm  #1

Ay Carumba! When Did CH Get The Rights To TV's Longest Running Comedy?

I just noticed that the long running Fox Sunday night line-up of "Animation Domination" is now on CHCH-TV. 

"The Simpsons" ran for years on City TV in Canada and I had no idea the latter had either given up or lost the rights. Not a big deal, really, but a bit of a coup in a way for Channel 11, which rarely gets to simulcast many hit U.S. shows, since other networks generally outbid them. 

The Matt Groening cartoon, the longest running comedy in TV history, may be past its prime in some minds, but it's still quite a draw on Sunday nights. I wonder how this affects its showings across the country? 

February 18, 2024 5:35 pm  #2

Re: Ay Carumba! When Did CH Get The Rights To TV's Longest Running Comedy?

There was a season within the last few years, where no Canadian network had the FOX Sunday lineup.

This year though, CITY *did* have it in the fall. Are mid-season switches common?

February 18, 2024 5:48 pm  #3

I honestly can't recall too many (if any) mid-season switches, especially with a show as prominent as The Simpsons. Did Rogers decide to cut it loose because they had something else they thought would get better ratings? (In this case, a simulcast with ABC of "American Idol.")

I was always under the impression that TV station groups bought an entire season of a show. The Simpsons was one of the first to return after the writers and actors strikes because, as an animated show, its lead production times are so long. Is it possible that City bought only half a season? I don't think I've ever heard of that happening. 

February 18, 2024 5:57 pm  #4

Or is there a rare situation where City needs to make room for Canada's got Talent (or other programming they desire to air)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 18, 2024 6:09 pm  #5

So they sold or sublet their rights to all the Sunday animated Fox shows to CHCH? (In addition to The Simpsons, Channel 11 will also have Krapopolis, The Great North and the brand new Grimsburg, with the voice of Jon Hamm in the lead role.)

I suppose that's possible, but I don't think I've ever heard of that happening before. Is that even allowed? 

I'm not an expert on how this works, but it's more likely Rogers gave up the rights and CHCH, with lots of holes to fill on its schedule, especially in primetime, grabbed them up.

But I'd love to know for sure how this came about. It's certainly unusual. And what happens to "Family Guy," which used to be part of the Sunday night block, but has been moved to another night by Fox? Does CHCH get that, too?

February 18, 2024 6:44 pm  #6

Good on CHCH getting the Simpsons.  However the show has not been a ratings draw for a long time.  That's likely why City dropped it.  And the rest of Fox's animated shows on Sunday are not pulling in ratings either. Global had some of them years ago.  But for an independent like CHCH these shows will still be a help. 

February 18, 2024 6:47 pm  #7

Agreed it's a good "get" for CH. It beats the 400th rerun of an old 20/20 or last month's Nightline. I'm sure it will get some OK numbers. 

February 18, 2024 7:04 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

Agreed it's a good "get" for CH. It beats the 400th rerun of an old 20/20 or last month's Nightline. I'm sure it will get some OK numbers. 

Did CH also get Family Guy and Bob's Burgers? Wasn't City planning to air those shows on a Wednesday night instead of Sunday?

February 18, 2024 10:01 pm  #9

They have been promoting the hell out of this. Aside from commercials, they mentioned this new lineup during the Saturday night news, and then an email from their "Ch-ching" program also sent a blast just talking about the Animation Domination. This isn't really something that interests me. I haven't watched The Simpsons in years, plus I don't have cable.

But the CHCH live stream would work. The stream is only supposed to be available for their news shows, but it always seems to work. I watched the Critics Choice Awards this year on their website: www.chch.com/live

February 18, 2024 10:22 pm  #10

I may be wrong here and if someone knows otherwise please correct.  CHCH may have been one of the original stations that ran the Simpsons series in Canada back in 1989.  CFPL and CKNX disaffiliated from CBC in 1988, and my foggy memory thinks that these stations along with CHCH ran the first season of the Simpsons.  They may have even had the Simpsons when it was a segment on the Tracy Ullman Show but again I am not sure.

I do remember that CFPL and CKNX had the Simpsons for one or two years, but after the show became a huge hit, it was snatched away.  PL and CKNX were in the same buying group for US programming as CHCH.  If true they are coming around full circle.

First year on FOX the Simpsons had a peak of 33.5 million viewers for one episode and an average of 27.8 million per week in 1989/90.  Last October the season premiere clocked in with 3.58 million viewers,  down from 4.15 million in 2022.   

February 18, 2024 10:32 pm  #11

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Did CH also get Family Guy and Bob's Burgers? Wasn't City planning to air those shows on a Wednesday night instead of Sunday?

Not sure about who has the rights to those two now, but I'm guessing they won't turn up on City again. Wednesday is reserved for the Chicago franchise there, so unless there are some major changes in the works, they rate well and are popular. Why mess with success?

The only possible scenario is that they show "Family" and "Bob's" out of pattern at 7 PM, losing the simulcast advantage. Can't see them doing it. So perhaps CH acquired these shows, too. I guess we'll know on or before March 6th, when the shows return on their new night. 

February 18, 2024 10:36 pm  #12

paterson1 wrote:

I may be wrong here and if someone knows otherwise please correct.  CHCH may have been one of the original stations that ran the Simpsons series in Canada back in 1989.  CFPL and CKNX disaffiliated from CBC in 1988, and my foggy memory thinks that these stations along with CHCH ran the first season of the Simpsons.  They may have even had the Simpsons when it was a segment on the Tracy Ullman Show but again I am not sure.

Your memory is not wrong. This 10 second promo is from 1990:

February 18, 2024 10:56 pm  #13

RadioActive wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Not sure about who has the rights to those two now, but I'm guessing they won't turn up on City again. Wednesday is reserved for the Chicago franchise there, so unless there are some major changes in the works, they rate well and are popular. Why mess with success?

The only possible scenario is that they show "Family" and "Bob's" out of pattern at 7 PM, losing the simulcast advantage. Can't see them doing it. So perhaps CH acquired these shows, too. I guess we'll know on or before March 6th, when the shows return on their new night. 

The Sunday night lineup on FOX has more shows than slots, so some shows come and go week-to-week.

February 18, 2024 11:20 pm  #14

RadioAaron wrote:

The Sunday night lineup on FOX has more shows than slots, so some shows come and go week-to-week.

Nope. Some shows simply left... https://gamerant.com/family-guy-new-episodes-season-22-moving-to-wednesday-nights/

February 18, 2024 11:56 pm  #15

paterson1 wrote:

I do remember that CFPL and CKNX had the Simpsons for one or two years, but after the show became a huge hit, it was snatched away.  PL and CKNX were in the same buying group for US programming as CHCH.  If true they are coming around full circle.

First year on FOX the Simpsons had a peak of 33.5 million viewers for one episode and an average of 27.8 million per week in 1989/90.  Last October the season premiere clocked in with 3.58 million viewers,  down from 4.15 million in 2022.   

I didn’t see it for myself as I was a tad young to be allowed to watch it in 1990, but I remember Bevin Palmateer once pointing out that CFPL had the first season of The Simpsons. Came up on their morning show once when there was an item about The Simpsons.

CFPL/CKNX did air a number of shows alongside CHCH back then. Notably, The Price is Right, ALF, and the Leafs.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (February 18, 2024 11:58 pm)

February 19, 2024 3:02 pm  #16

SUNDAY PRIMETIME BLOODBATH for FOX...The network's Animation Domination is anything but.  More than dreadful numbers for last nights line up. Ratings will increase when recording is added in later, but live viewing must have had some affiliates where virtually nobody was watching... 227 affiliates divide up these numbers?? 

Simpsons- 722,000 viewers
Krapopolis- 500,000
Great North- 420,000
Grimsburg- 360,000

CBS had a decent night last evening, if 6 to 7 million viewers can be called strong ratings...

http://www.thetvratingsguide.com/2024/02/sunday-tv-ratings-21824-equalizer-and.html 

February 19, 2024 6:50 pm  #17

paterson1 wrote:

SUNDAY PRIMETIME BLOODBATH for FOX...The network's Animation Domination is anything but.  More than dreadful numbers for last nights line up. Ratings will increase when recording is added in later, but live viewing must have had some affiliates where virtually nobody was watching... 227 affiliates divide up these numbers?? 

Krapopolis- 500,000
Great North- 420,000
Grimsburg- 360,000

CBS had a decent night last evening, if 6 to 7 million viewers can be called strong ratings...

http://www.thetvratingsguide.com/2024/02/sunday-tv-ratings-21824-equalizer-and.html 

The three shows following The Simpsons aren’t that good, in my opinion. (And new Simpsons episodes are hit and miss. I didn’t care for the new one last night.)

February 19, 2024 8:02 pm  #18

It would be interesting to see how CHCH did.  Bet they had more viewers than most Fox affiliates. At least these animated shows gives CHCH some current programming.  Sort of interesting that they had The Simpsons for the first season in 1989/90. 

February 19, 2024 8:34 pm  #19

paterson1 wrote:

It would be interesting to see how CHCH did.  Bet they had more viewers than most Fox affiliates. At least these animated shows gives CHCH some current programming.  Sort of interesting that they had The Simpsons for the first season in 1989/90. 

...and I have no memory of it. Neither CHCH or FOX were available in Ottawa at the time.

February 21, 2024 3:58 am  #20

I believe Global had the Simpsons for a lengthy time as well. I remember they added “On Global” to the title card in comic sans.
I believe it went CHCH, Global, City, CHCH.

February 21, 2024 9:18 am  #21

paterson1 wrote:

Krapopolis- 500,000
Great North- 420,000
Grimsburg- 360,000

Agreed. However, Homer's family is in its 35th season on FOX. In the first 33 seasons. The Simpsons finished in the Neilsen Top 30 only seven times. Three best seasons were 16-17 #24, 05-06 #26, 89-90 #27. Most seasons, Homer and family finish in the mid 30's. Worst season was 95-96 #77.

March 3, 2024 4:27 pm  #22

RadioActive wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

CHCH will have Family Guy starting this Wednesday at 9:30pm.