sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 19, 2024 9:26 am  #1

Conrad Black is the headline keynote at the WAB conference in June

I must admit, I enjoyed listening to Conrad Black when he was a guest contributor on the Arlene Bynon show on 640 Toronto years ago. I still enjoy hearing him speak, when he pops up on my feeds (social media) from time-to-time. 

What amazes me is that he is still deemed to be relevant at his age. So much show that he has been named as the Keynote for this June's Western Association of Broadcaster's conference.

I also sense a very different edge in political views in the West as compared to Central and Eastern Canada too.

Is it me, or is Black, the best choice for this? There has to be other relevant speakers in Canada, that have a vibrant message to deliver.

Here is more on this story...

https://broadcastdialogue.com/conrad-black-headlines-junes-wab-conference/

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (February 19, 2024 9:28 am)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

February 19, 2024 10:25 am  #2

Re: Conrad Black is the headline keynote at the WAB conference in June

I thought his appearances on Oakley were always a good listen. Too bad it went to the wayside, like , from what I am reading here, alot of the better segments on Oakley have done as well. 

February 19, 2024 11:23 am  #3

Are we talking about the convicted ex-con (fraud and obstruction), Conrad Black? The guy pardoned by convicted fraudster, and soon to be convicted felon ex-president? Is that the Conrad Black we're talking about?

[img][/img]

February 19, 2024 12:22 pm  #4

Lord Black's weekly appearance on Oakley was a great segment.  I looked forward to it, but he got cancelled for some reason, just like 'Tuesdays with Frank', when Stronach would ramble on about how he'd run the world, not that that was any loss.  Remember when the 'Raging Redhead' was practically Oakley's co-host?  That was painfully bad radio.

February 19, 2024 12:44 pm  #5

Conrad's 2019 pardon  from Trump came just a few months after he wrote a glowing, complimentary and ass kissing biography called "Donald J. Trump: A President Like No Other" in 2018 .     Makes me wonder if the book had anything to do with it.

February 19, 2024 12:50 pm  #6

Conrad Black is a parasite offering nothing of value to civilisation.

February 19, 2024 1:07 pm  #7

"Do they still call me tubby...?"

February 19, 2024 1:18 pm  #8

It's always nice when an ex-con is given a chance to do community service. 

February 19, 2024 2:15 pm  #9

Here's a sample of what Conrad will be offering WAB attendees in his remarks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_sXxZVPxg8

February 19, 2024 9:46 pm  #10

Conrad Black .. a narcissist, a blowhard, devoid of integrity, a criminal, a thief .. his pompous, conceited drone is nauseating ..

Black & Trump are two peas in pod;  both a stain on society .. 

February 21, 2024 3:53 am  #11

I’m glad to see some balance in the opinions of Conrad Black instead of the unanimous fawning that used to happen here a decade ago.

February 21, 2024 10:43 am  #12

SpinningWheel wrote:

Conrad's 2019 pardon  from Trump came just a few months after he wrote a glowing, complimentary and ass kissing biography called "Donald J. Trump: A President Like No Other" in 2018 .     Makes me wonder if the book had anything to do with it.

I found this McLeans opinion piece by Stephen Maher good for a chuckle.

Whatdoes Conrad Black see in Donald Trump?

"Last June, in an interview on TVO, Conrad Black seemed taken aback when Agenda host Steve Paikin asked him about gossips who thought he was praising Donald Trump in the hopes of winning a pardon for his crimes.

“I think that would be a mealy-mouthed and almost a dishonourable thing to do,” said Black, who has a knack for the mot juste.

You have to agree with him.

If Black did write a book and a number of columns praising Trump, for the purpose of influencing him, that would indeed be mealy-mouthed and dishonourable, and Black would be a sad, pathetic figure, a tycoon who once sat in the House of Lords reduced to sycophancy in a desperate attempt to flatter the narcissist-in-chief so that he can once again travel to the United States, and glide through the gilded rooms where the one-per-centers drink their Moët and complain about all the tax they pay."

February 21, 2024 11:27 am  #13

And yet some people think that they both walk on water.

Creepy!

February 21, 2024 11:50 am  #14

Years ago I covered a speech by Black at the Empire Club in Toronto.  It was just before the walls closed around him and he knew his number was up.
He turned up to the speech in the Royal York hotel drunk as a skunk.
He joked about being hung over, but he was still sloshed.
He made some really inappropriate jokes about his sexual feelings for his wife, Barbara Amiel.
It was weird, but also weirdly entertaining.

February 21, 2024 12:14 pm  #15

newsguy1 wrote:

It was weird, but also weirdly entertaining.

Agreed, just like it's weirdly entertaining to watch tRump heading to bankruptcy and imprisonment. The last 8 years have been outrageously damaging to the entire western world, but thankfully much of the mainstream media (however reluctantly) is televising his downfall.

It's the people NOT watching the mainstream media who need to catch a clue. Where are the likes of Walter Cronkite, Edward R. Morrow, etc. when we really need them?

February 21, 2024 12:49 pm  #16

If they were alive today Trump would call Cronkite a washed-up has been who always had lousy TV ratings, and Edward R is a drunk and a communist.