sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 15, 2024 7:41 am  #1

The AM 740 Oldies Show Hosted By A 17-Year-Old

He's probably the last person you'd expect to be on a station that does so much looking back. Because Meesha Contreras barely has much of a past. The 17-year-old is the host of The Zoomer Room, which plays the greatest hits of the 60s, a time he obviously can't possibly remember. 

His playlist is the usual best-of: the Rolling Stones, the Kinks, The Beatles, Stevie Wonder and more. In this case, it's not the music that will make the show for me. It's the amazing dream-come-true aspect of a 17-year-old kid getting a spot on a high powered major market radio station. I would have played stuff from the 30s when I was that age just to get the chance!

I'm not sure how long this has been running, but if you're curious, the show airs every Saturday at 7 PM.

The Zoomer Room

February 15, 2024 9:24 am  #2

Re: The AM 740 Oldies Show Hosted By A 17-Year-Old

/This lad will be pretty media savvy.  He has been a child actor, cartoon voice talent and also in a band.  He was one of the voices on Paw Patrol and Thomas The Train along with some other cartoons.  Now that his voice has changed he is no longer voicing Paw Patrol. 

February 15, 2024 9:45 am  #3

How are they paying this kid?...with fast food restaurant app points?

February 15, 2024 9:52 am  #4

Johnny B wrote:

How are they paying this kid?...with fast food restaurant app points?

Oh come on! It's not the Evanov Radio group!  

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 15, 2024 9:53 am  #5

Is it possible he or a benefactor is paying for the air time like the employment lawyers etc ? 

February 16, 2024 11:08 am  #6

RadioActive wrote:

He's probably the last person you'd expect to be on a station that does so much looking back. Because Meesha Contreras barely has much of a past. The 17-year-old is the host of The Zoomer Room, which plays the greatest hits of the 60s, a time he obviously can't possibly remember. 

His playlist is the usual best-of: the Rolling Stones, the Kinks, The Beatles, Stevie Wonder and more. In this case, it's not the music that will make the show for me. It's the amazing dream-come-true aspect of a 17-year-old kid getting a spot on a high powered major market radio station. I would have played stuff from the 30s when I was that age just to get the chance!

I'm not sure how long this has been running, but if you're curious, the show airs every Saturday at 7 PM.

The Zoomer Room

Fascinating, and in a way that could be interesting to hear the perspective of someone so young appreciating this music today. I normally only listen to Zoomer on Sunday evenings lately, I really like the line-up with Lily Frost followed by Canada's expert on The Great American Songbook, Dean Hollin's Radio Limelite. Also both on the younger end of what is often defined as a Zoomer-but who cares? Captivating music radio is hard to come by, enjoy it!

February 16, 2024 11:15 am  #7

Fun fact: Meesha Contreras is Lily Frost's son. Meesha's dad is José Miguel Contreras from By Divine Right.

Last edited by torontomike (February 16, 2024 11:26 am)

February 16, 2024 11:21 am  #8

Which certainly helps explain how he likely got the gig in the first place. As so often happens in broadcasting, it's who you know.

February 16, 2024 12:43 pm  #9

Without any facts to back this up I can imagine his show is the result of his parents' influence blended with possibly being a paid infomercial-type program.
This might be the equivalent of kids who get their school art project done by their parents.
And of course it sounds like he has a lot of experience as a child actor to boot.
It does seem rather absurd though that a radio station that is aimed at Boomer-age listeners has a teenage host.
It's a bit like a show for Black History Month being hosted by a blond blue eyed white guy.

Last edited by newsguy1 (February 16, 2024 12:44 pm)

February 16, 2024 12:48 pm  #10

It's happened elsewhere - including on a Detroit-area station. It was the subject of a post back in 2023

February 16, 2024 2:50 pm  #11

Getting a little further off-topic,can someone update what happened with the GTA kid who was busted, but swore to keep running his low powered pirate radio station a few years ago? Didn't his parents support his actions,and did that get any further news space?

February 17, 2024 8:52 am  #12

Sorry, I have tuned in and think he is just okay, nothing special or outstanding in my opinion. They promote the show as him playing oldies and music from his generation but I have to hear any contemporary tunes. As RadioActive pointed out, it’s who you know!

February 17, 2024 11:37 pm  #13

Yeah, sorry kid, but nothing special. But hey, at least he's trying and can only get better.

What's interesting to me, though, is the odd conjunction of shows both airing at the exact same time. 

On AM 740, whose signal reaches New York City, you can hear a 17-year-old kid playing oldies.

On WABC, which gets into Toronto with no problems, you can listen to 88-year-old Cousin Brucie playing oldies. 

Same kind of shows, with the biggest difference is the hosts have an enormous 71 year age difference between them. That could only happen on radio.