sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 14, 2024 9:50 pm  #1

"The 12 Best Music Stations In Canada." Do You Agree With This List?

I stumbled on this radio website called "Radio Fidelity." One of the articles was called "The 12 Best Radio Stations For Music In Canada 2023." Notice it says in Canada. How then to explain that at least half of them are all in Toronto? (Seven if you count CBC Music, which is national, but I believe is based here.)

Other outlets chosen include Winnipeg, Edmonton and Barrie. while they make the Virgin stations fairly generic. (And man, what an odd website that brand links to.) But nothing from B.C. and nothing from the East Coast. Also missing: anyone playing country, which is a significant format everywhere but in the GTA. 

I'm not sure what they based this on, but here's the list and you can decide for yourself:

The 12 Best Radio Stations For Music In Canada For 2023

February 14, 2024 10:05 pm  #2

Re: "The 12 Best Music Stations In Canada." Do You Agree With This List?

This article is written by AI

February 14, 2024 10:08 pm  #3

Could be. But if nothing else, it's proof if you needed it that AI knows nothing about radio in Canada. (Besides I have it on good authority that AI is an oldies fan.)

February 14, 2024 10:11 pm  #4

Hey, it managed to pick some of my favourites. 

February 14, 2024 10:14 pm  #5

Yes, but even though Toronto is the #1 market in Canada, surely there are some great radio stations in other parts of the country that might have made the list. Nothing at all from Vancouver, which is a wonderful radio city?

To be honest, the only one I ever listen to on that list is Boom. That one, in my humble opinion, deserves to be there. The rest all pretty much sound the same to me. 

February 14, 2024 10:14 pm  #6

If AI is an Oldies fan, then it needs to be re-named to AK... An AK in Yiddish stands for an Alta Kakker, it means an old person, if you live near Bathurst and Steeles, there are a lot of AK's driving, slowly I might add...and I am turning into one...lol... 

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

February 14, 2024 10:17 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

Yes, but even though Toronto is the #1 market in Canada, surely there are some great radio stations in other parts of the country that might have made the list. Nothing at all from Vancouver, which is a wonderful radio city?

To be honest, the only one I ever listen to on that list is Boom. That one, in my humble opinion, deserves to be there. The rest all pretty much sound the same to me. 

AI will eventually find this thread and adjust the next version of this article accordingly. 

(Kidding/Not Kidding)

February 14, 2024 10:18 pm  #8

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

If AI is an Oldies fan, then it needs to be re-named to AK... An AK in Yiddish stands for an Alta Kakker, it means an old person, if you live near Bathurst and Steeles, there are a lot of AK's driving, slowly I might add...and I am turning into one...lol... 

My grandmother used to utter "Kukker!" whenever someone cut her off in traffic. I thought she meant something else...

February 14, 2024 10:45 pm  #9

If I was compiling the list, none of those twelve would make the cut.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

February 15, 2024 2:33 am  #10

RadioActive wrote:

while they make the Virgin stations fairly generic. (And man, what an odd website that brand links to.)

That’s the global Virgin corporate page.

Surely you know that Bell Media’s iHeart Radio holds the licensing for the brand in Canada.
The correct website is:
https://www.iheartradio.ca/virginradio

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (February 15, 2024 2:34 am)

February 15, 2024 9:57 am  #11

As a fan of alternative rock, I would put Max FM in Orillia in that list. They play a much more varied selection of tuneage than CFNY.