sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 9, 2024 12:52 pm  #1

John Tory Filling In On Newstalk's The Rush Next Week

Friday morning while filling in for John Moore on MITM, John Tory mentioned that he's going to be filling in on 1010's afternoon drive show The Rush for several afternoons next week and one Moore In the Morning too.

I'm not into gambling but I still think it's a good bet John Tory eventually becomes a permanent fixture....well, as permanent as anyone can be with the upcoming changes.

February 9, 2024 1:15 pm  #2

Re: John Tory Filling In On Newstalk's The Rush Next Week

Are these actually paid gigs or does Tory just offer to do it for free to give him something to do?

February 9, 2024 1:27 pm  #3

Don't construe this as any endorsement of Tory, but the less Deb Hutton the better. She's downright sinister.

February 9, 2024 1:30 pm  #4

Hansa wrote:

Are these actually paid gigs or does Tory just offer to do it for free to give him something to do?

It's probably part of this overall deal they signed with him in December - whether he gets an extra stipend above-and-beyond for the fill-in work, not sure:

https://www.bellmedia.ca/the-lede/press/former-toronto-mayor-john-tory-joins-iheartradio-canadas-newstalk-1010-and-ctv-news-as-municipal-affairs-expert/

February 9, 2024 1:57 pm  #5

I'm sure Tory does not get paid a full John Moore salary at 1010.
Besides I read that while he was mayor he routinely got up at about 4 a.m. anyway.
Geez, wonder how he had time for an affair?
He prolly had to get some sleep some time.
But then as Dean Martin once said, "If I'm not in bed every night by 10 pm I go straight home."

February 9, 2024 2:30 pm  #6

As if I needed another reason not to listen to The Rush, formerly known as The Resh.

February 9, 2024 5:11 pm  #7

I don't listen to The Rush so I will miss John Tory...yay!  I have not listened to him this week and I will not listen to him when he fills in again for John Moore.  I will need to keep my ears open for whatever day he is on.  I have been listening to AM640 in the mornings and I have enjoyed it.

February 9, 2024 5:29 pm  #8

Listener wrote:

I don't listen to The Rush so I will miss John Tory...yay!  I have not listened to him this week and I will not listen to him when he fills in again for John Moore.  I will need to keep my ears open for whatever day he is on.  I have been listening to AM640 in the mornings and I have enjoyed it.

Aside from Vassy, there is no reason to listen to 1010 anymore.  Kind of sad, but the Bell bean counters did it to themselves.

Last edited by Walter (February 9, 2024 5:29 pm)

February 9, 2024 8:42 pm  #9

Also I hate to say it but poor old John Moore is sounding more and more repetitive and burned out.
In recent days I have heard him forget routine names and repeat words that most people probably don't understand anyway (existential comes to mind.)
Some random observations... forgetting the actress who starred in "Barbie.". He called her "the actress who played Barbie"  Margot Robbie, of course.
He also talked about Norman Jewison who directed "In the heat of the night" and recalled the scene where "Sidney Poitier slapped Rod Steiger."
In fact it was the character Poitier played (Virgil Tibbs) who slapped the character Mr Endicott, played by Larry Gates (not Rod Steiger).
Just stuff like that.

February 10, 2024 8:09 am  #10

This was a fine week to listen to 1010....Tory/Jerry/Vassy. Moore's boring lead-in to the day is why 1010's share is +/-1%

February 10, 2024 11:04 pm  #11

peter wrote:

This was a fine week to listen to 1010....Tory/Jerry/Vassy. Moore's boring lead-in to the day is why 1010's share is +/-1%

I really doubt that.  Moore is probably the best remaining thing there.  I really enjoyed John when he hosted afternoons between 2003 and 2009.

What is your hate on for this guy anyway?  I think you'd find John would do really well if he was on FM or podcasts; something more accessible than AM radio.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

February 11, 2024 10:32 am  #12

Jody Thornton wrote:

peter wrote:

I really doubt that.  Moore is probably the best remaining thing there.  I really enjoyed John when he hosted afternoons between 2003 and 2009.

What is your hate on for this guy anyway?  I think you'd find John would do really well if he was on FM or podcasts; something more accessible than AM radio.

Well put Jody. Moore does a fine job but there is always going to be haters for the sake of hating. If I don’t like someone on air, I simply don’t listen to them, solved.

February 11, 2024 10:53 am  #13

Jody Thornton wrote:

peter wrote:

re: What is your hate on for this guy [John Moore] anyway?
tis obviously jealousy & envy of Moore's skill & decades of longevity in the cutthroat, insecure radio  business ..