sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 6, 2024 8:36 pm  #1

Northern radio

So, I have relocated to a small town in The Greater Sudbury Area, and have been pretty much been listening to 92.7 CJRQ while in the car. The evening host is a syndicated show that is actually quirky and a nice refreshment to my ears after  such a decline in personality radio. He is a Canadian to boot ! https://www.927rock.ca/shows/greg-beharrell-show/

February 6, 2024 9:19 pm  #2

Re: Northern radio

Is Greg an evening show for Rogers rock fm stations?

February 6, 2024 9:19 pm  #3

Greg's genuinely funny, but his shtick gets olds pretty quick. 

February 6, 2024 9:20 pm  #4

paterson1 wrote:

Is Greg an evening show for Rogers rock fm stations?

Yes, and afternoons on a few JACKs.

February 6, 2024 10:25 pm  #5

Back in the early 70s I lived up aroung Wiarton. There was no local FM and nothing that could even be characterized as fringe. I had a six element Yagi and I kept it aimed northward. I used to get pretty regular reception from CKSO in Sudbury.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

February 7, 2024 9:43 am  #6

turkeytop, this little gem is part of my vintage radio collection ...  Beharrel's show is obviously VT, there is no station id by him, time etc, just drop ins and could be used for any music format. But, I at least , find it to be something different and have enjoyed his stuff so far, although admittingly, I am not out much in the evenings now. Things defintily move slower in the North, I had to wait 6 days to get internet installed.  photo upload

Last edited by mic'em (February 7, 2024 9:47 am)

February 7, 2024 9:13 pm  #7

The Greg Beharell Show is syndicated all across the U.S.A. and Canada. The program's website says it aired on CFNY at some point, but I don't think it's on there any more. Here's the website where you can listen to an aircheck or a sample hour.

The Greg Beharrell Show

February 7, 2024 9:25 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

The Greg Beharell Show is syndicated all across the U.S.A. and Canada. The program's website says it aired on CFNY at some point, but I don't think it's on there any more.

He briefly did mornings there with Josie Dye and Dominik Diamond.  Edge later carried the original  version of his syndicated show.

Indie88 ran his current show a couple years back too.

February 7, 2024 9:59 pm  #9

mic'em wrote:

turkeytop, this little gem is part of my vintage radio collection ...  Beharrel's show is obviously VT, there is no station id by him, time etc, just drop ins and could be used for any music format. But, I at least , find it to be something different and have enjoyed his stuff so far, although admittingly, I am not out much in the evenings now. Things defintily move slower in the North, I had to wait 6 days to get internet installed.  photo upload

I did a work assignment up in Sudbury for a few weeks back in the 90s. Sudbury is one of my favourite towns in Ontario. Good, solid working class town

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

February 8, 2024 9:26 am  #10

I have moved from Collingwood to Chelmsford. My wife is originally from Sudbury, so as we enter our retirement years, I am happy to bring her back to her life long friends and family. I am finding it here so much less stressful and quiet compared to our former location. 

February 8, 2024 9:27 am  #11

mic'em wrote:

I have moved from Collingwood to Chelmsford. My wife is originally from Sudbury, so as we enter our retirement years, I am happy to bring her back to her life long friends and family. I am finding it here so much less stressful and quiet compared to our former location. 

How's the radio in Sudbury?

February 8, 2024 2:02 pm  #12

RadioActive wrote:

mic'em wrote:

How's the radio in Sudbury?

Rogers has 2 FMs - One with Roz and Mocha in the Morning, the other with a show from Kingston.

Stingray has 2 FMs - a CHR with a local morning show and drive from Ottawa and a Boom-type station with one local host.

Bell has a Country station with a 2 person local morning show and local drive.

February 8, 2024 8:11 pm  #13

I had occasion to drive through a portion of Sudbury today searching out a Best Buy to purchase cords for my big screen after the movers didn't put them in the box I had asked them to, and I now have no idea where they are. I saw at least 3 locations with two station brand signs on the buildings. All were FM, and also CBC Radio has a studio in the downtown core . I have only listened primarily to 92.7 , the FM rocker, and 105.3 or was it 103.5 maybe, a current top 40 type , but the music of today just all sounds the same to me and doesn't interest me, so went back to 92.7. I was sitting in the parking lot of the car wash in Chelmsford yesterday and out of curiosity, scanned the AM side, 640 came in with our boy Johnny, 1030 Boston was strong, a French station that must have been local due to signal strength, and another U.S. station that I didn't pick up where it was from, or recall the frequency now. This was in my 2010 Malibu that has a terrific antenna, our Kia Sorento barely gets AM at all. When I was still " down south " as the locals say, I had to get to the highway 9 area before AM would come in static free , and that being just 590, and 640. 

Last edited by mic'em (February 8, 2024 8:12 pm)

February 9, 2024 11:54 am  #14

Back in 1978, I drove to Sudbury to visit my sister who was attending Laurentien at the time. Back then the city had three AM's if my memory is good, on 550, 790 and 900. Don't know about FM. What I remember was AM dxing was horrible. It was cold and in November. All the usual suspects, WBZ, WLS. WCBS etc. could be received but were weak with deep fading. Once I got maybe 10 miles south of Sudbury, they all came blasting in normally. No idea why.

February 9, 2024 12:29 pm  #15

mace wrote:

What I remember was AM dxing was horrible. It was cold and in November. All the usual suspects, WBZ, WLS. WCBS etc. could be received but were weak with deep fading. Once I got maybe 10 miles south of Sudbury, they all came blasting in normally. No idea why.

Maybe it was interference from the Big Nickel!

I only have one artifact from Sudbury in my collection. For what it's worth, here it is from October 1953. (Didn't know it was the first private TV station in all of Canada.)