sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 8, 2024 4:49 pm  #61

Re: Bell Media Cuts 4,800 Jobs, Selling 45 Stations

Below sums up Bell's view of radio overall...can't say I'm surprised or in Bell's case that they're even wrong.

If your business model's bottom line is to make profit only and not serve or benefit communities with a broadcasting medium that can help to inform a local populace, then you say it's a shitty business and we need to divest asap.

Fuck the people who lost their jobs and the local communities whose stories mean shit to us.

Bell Media president Sean Cohan said the company intends to divest 45 radio stations to seven buyers: Vista Radio, Whiteoaks, Durham Radio, My Broadcasting Corp., ZoomerMedia, Arsenal Media and Maritime Broadcasting. The sales are subject to CRTC approval and other closing conditions."We've effectively sold off half of our radio portfolio. That's a significant divestiture and it's because it's not a viable business anymore," said Bell chief legal and regulatory officer Robert Malcolmson in an interview with The Canadian Press."We will continue to operate ones that are viable, but this is a business that is going in the wrong direction."

Last edited by Johnny B (February 8, 2024 4:49 pm)

February 8, 2024 4:51 pm  #62

ckg927 wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

ckg927 wrote:

Personally, I don't think Whiteoaks does a THING with HTZ FM or Move 105.7(save maybe reimaging 105.7, since I think Bell still has the rights to the Move branding). HTZ has a decades-long legacy as an AOR station.

The market's been unprofitable for 5 years. Legacy shmegacy.

Well, that didn't stop Byrnes Communications from buying CFLZ and CJED, did it?

Just because someone did something, doesn't mean it was a good idea.

February 8, 2024 5:00 pm  #63

Well it's interesting that none of the stations were bought by Rogers or Corus - I would say that's a good thing. 

February 8, 2024 5:07 pm  #64

February 8, 2024 5:08 pm  #65

Hansa wrote:

Well it's interesting that none of the stations were bought by Rogers or Corus - I would say that's a good thing. 

Corus is next.

February 8, 2024 5:24 pm  #66

RadioAaron wrote:

Corus is next.

Oddly, I just saw a tweet about Rogers offering buyouts today as well.

February 8, 2024 5:25 pm  #67

Bell Media helped to make the market unprofitable.  They can't blame "the market" or even CRTC for their poor management of radio stations, especially in smaller markets.  Bell had too much focus on national sales in the small markets and let the local and regional business and audiences slip away.  Also it doesn't help when the broadcast division is not really a big part of BCE sales and potential profits.  

Other than Zoomer, are all the new owners privately held and not on the stock market?  Not having to answer to shareholders should give the new owners flexibility that Bell Media didn't always have.  Make no mistake these stations that were sold have their work cut out for them. 

February 8, 2024 5:37 pm  #68

COVID took a large chunk of the advertising pie away and it is likely not coming back.

It turned markets that were previously marginally profitable and made them unprofitable. They will not return to being profitable overall unless the number of stations in each is reduced.

February 8, 2024 5:58 pm  #69

RadioAaron wrote:

Hansa wrote:

Corus is next.

It already happened yesterday...

https://twitter.com/cmcdonaldglobal/status/1755659205292310608

February 8, 2024 6:00 pm  #70

Not sure of all radio jobs lost but it looks like the Toby and Warren show at The Bear Edmonton are gone. Not sure if that was today or recently. Not sure of anyone else.

February 8, 2024 6:01 pm  #71

is CTV2 Barrie TV losing their news now or no?  It mentioned it is but then said except Toronto. 

February 8, 2024 6:12 pm  #72

How did Bell's CTV handle this story on air? Check out the video here.

February 8, 2024 6:22 pm  #73

ED1 wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Hansa wrote:

Corus is next.

It already happened yesterday...

https://twitter.com/cmcdonaldglobal/status/1755659205292310608

Not just layoffs.

February 8, 2024 6:23 pm  #74

markow202 wrote:

is CTV2 Barrie TV losing their news now or no?  It mentioned it is but then said except Toronto. 

No. It's just noon and weekend casts that were cut.

February 8, 2024 6:43 pm  #75

Vista Radio, which is taking over the Bell stations in B.C., believes it is uniquely qualified to resurrect its newest acquisitions. For now, Vista president Bryan Edwards sounds optimistic. 

“That’s always very worrisome for staff, because they don’t know what the future is going to be. It’s an uncomfortable time,” said Edwards. “So, our hope is that we get our message out that we want everybody to come over.

“We believe in local radio. We believe in having live people, where we can. And if anything, we expect to grow the opportunity there.”

B.C. Premier David Eby wasn't quite so complimentary, calling Bell "corporate vampires" in its handling of its soon-to-be-former stations. 

“They sucked the life out of them, laying off journalists. They have overseen the ‘crapification’ of local media by laying off journalists and now they say it’s no longer economically viable to run these local radio stations?” said Eby as he questioned why the company was allowed to do so in the first place."

'We believe in local radio': Vista eager to take over Bell stations in the Okanagan

February 8, 2024 6:53 pm  #76

RadioActive wrote:

“We believe in local radio. We believe in having live people, where we can".

"Where we can" is doing a lot of heavy lifting there.

https://www.mykemptvillenow.com/on-air/
https://www.mybarrysbaynow.com/on-air/
https://www.mybancroftnow.com/on-air/

February 8, 2024 7:04 pm  #77

-Don't expect the likes of MyFM of Vista to turn the clock back on the reality of the business. These stations aren't going to suddenly have their live and local dayparts or newsrooms back.

MBC has a news people in all their markets and I was told will be adding news people back to Brockville and Kingston and no changes to staff.  So whatever all current live shows stay.

February 8, 2024 7:05 pm  #78

So, just for the heck of it, here are a list of formats/brandings and the number of stations Bell has in each format before and after the current round of divestments:

"Move Radio" (Adult AC) - before: 11, after 4
"Bounce" (Adult hits) - before: 25, after 6
"Virgin Radio" (contemporary hits) - before: 12, after 11
"Pure Country" - before: 16, after 9
"TSN Radio" (sports) - before 3, after 3
"Rouge FM" (French-AC) - before: 9, after 6
"Energie" (French - mainstream rock) - before: 10, after 8
"Boom FM" (French - oldies) - before: 2, after 0
news/talk  before: 7, after: 6
non-branded active rock/mainstream rock/adult AOC (CHUM-FM) - before: 5, after: 4

AM: before: 15, after: 9
FM: before: 85, after: 46 
(counts are rough and may be off by 1 or 2)

(source: Wikipedia )

Last edited by Hansa (February 8, 2024 7:14 pm)

February 8, 2024 7:07 pm  #79

RadioAaron wrote:

markow202 wrote:

No. It's just noon and weekend casts that were cut.

I don’t believe CKVR has had a noon cast since 2009, perhaps earlier. I know London hasn’t had one since 2005, when CHUM cut it just before the switch to A-Channel.

February 8, 2024 7:12 pm  #80

RadioQuiz wrote:

-Don't expect the likes of MyFM of Vista to turn the clock back on the reality of the business. These stations aren't going to suddenly have their live and local dayparts or newsrooms back.

MBC has a news people in all their markets and I was told will be adding news people back to Brockville and Kingston and no changes to staff. So whatever all current live shows stay.

Everyone always says "no changes to staff." And even if true, that's a very low bar.

How'd that go for staff in stations they bought in Simcoe, Cobourg, or Welland?

Their "The Lake" has been on the air in Kingston for 11 months and still has no local announcers.

Last edited by RadioAaron (February 8, 2024 7:16 pm)

February 8, 2024 7:34 pm  #81

I wonder if this explains my longstanding complaint about anchor-read weather on CFTO's newscasts. With Lyndsay Morrison on mat leave and Jessica Smith only available certain days, they're still not staffing that position full time. Maybe the reason Michelle Jobin isn't doing her usual substitute duty is to save a salary. 

February 8, 2024 7:54 pm  #82

How'd that go for staff in stations they bought in Simcoe, Cobourg, or Welland?

No staff were let go.  News people have been added.  Welland still has a full on-air line up on both stations.

Their "The Lake" has been on the air in Kingston for 11 months and still has no local announcers.

Lake has announcers all day.

February 8, 2024 7:59 pm  #83

RadioQuiz wrote:

Lake has announcers all day.

All VT'd from elsewhere. Or AI, in the case of the weather.

I've praised myFM here before for building new radio stations in markets that previously didn't have one, and using cost efficiencies to provide some local content, but their entry into markets with other actual stations has been less than inspiring.

They got the right idea with the format of The Lake, but the execution is awful, and the ratings reflect it.

February 8, 2024 8:43 pm  #84

I'm curious if the new owners will mess with something that works. K-lite (sorry, Bounce 102.9 Hamilton), and Durham's KX947 are always battling for 1st place in Hamilton, so why would the new owner Whiteoaks mess with that? This could also be a chance for new jobs. People who voice multiple Bell stations will have to be replaced now. In my area that would be Tarzan Dan on Bounce, Ashley Greco on Move, Taylor Kaye who voices weekends on Bounce, but also works for CHUM, etc.

February 8, 2024 9:05 pm  #85

I think it is Bell which is not viable as an employer.

February 8, 2024 9:13 pm  #86

They got the right idea with the format of The Lake, but the execution is awful, and the ratings reflect it.

I don't think you get it.   Clearly they were waiting for FCC approval before investing heavily into Lake and obviously waiting for this deal.  Common sense.   Also ratings in Kingston are a rolling average so the last book didn't really mean anything relevant to changes.

Look at the chess game...  now they have the #1 station with a flanker running guard with no can con... and whatever 98.9 is or will be... you should be impressed... it's a great radio play.

February 8, 2024 9:28 pm  #87

Shame about W5, a well produced show that had decent ratings considering a poor time slot.  In fact I thought W5 was the best it had been over the past few yeas.

With all of these newscasts cancelled on CTV, shrinking news operations nationally, scaled back CTV News Channel makes the CBC more valuable.  Maybe the "defunding" nonsense will be put on hold for a while or laid to rest.  CBC may end up receiving more money from the feds or realocate dollars to fund some local newscasts. 

Bell seems to be having a temper tantrum because the CRTC doesn't appear to be giving them everything they want.

Odd too how Bell Media is getting all of the press about the layoffs, even though it is other divisions of BCE that are really taking the hit and losing the big number of jobs, possibly over 4,000.  

February 8, 2024 9:33 pm  #88

RadioQuiz wrote:

I don't think you get it. Clearly they were waiting for FCC approval before investing heavily into Lake and obviously waiting for this deal. Common sense. Also ratings in Kingston are a rolling average so the last book didn't really mean anything relevant to changes.

Look at the chess game... now they have the #1 station with a flanker running guard with no can con... and whatever 98.9 is or will be... you should be impressed... it's a great radio play.

The long-game makes a ton of sense. 

But if they're going to wait for this deal to close to invest in it, that'll be almost two years with no live and local announcers, People may have made up their minds by then,

And the parts of the product that they can control now without much investment are terrible. Disaffected alt-rock sounding imaging voice, playlist lifted song-for-song from some US station that plays songs that were only really hits in Florida while ignoring huge Canadian hits, terrible AI weather, Facebook account posting nothing but memes.

And the fact that the ratings are a rolling average make the launch look even worse - with the KISS numbers falling out the ratings drop.

February 8, 2024 9:40 pm  #89

paterson1 wrote:

S
Odd too how Bell Media is getting all of the press about the layoffs, even though it is other divisions of BCE that are really taking the hit and losing the big number of jobs, possibly over 4,000.  

This is one of the main reasons for them to get out of media.

The bad press their media blunders generates is completely disproportionate to the division's size.

February 8, 2024 9:41 pm  #90

There is a good podcast interview with Vista President Bryan Edwards. He mentions keeping all 80 employees and hopefully adding more. I have heard from a lot of other people that the plan is to hire more people and make things local in more markets. Pure country Peterborough is most likely going to be KX Country. Durham is getting a Bounce, Move and Pure and will almost guaranteed to be hiring more staff. Bounce or Move will most likely become a rock station similar to The Rock in Oshawa. Maybe Ed the Sock will expand his reach. It will be very interesting times in Canadian radio. I am hoping some of my radio friends get back into radio and a lot of people do not lose jobs because of the sales. 
Although I am concerned for the St Catherines and Hamilton station being sold to WhiteOaks because they generally are Christian stations and the current formats do not fit what they generally broadcast.