sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 28, 2024 11:19 pm  #1

An Unbelievable Trip Back To A Far Less Politically Correct Time On TV

I just saw something that was absolutely astounding. It was on a U.S. cable station called "Buzzr," that replays old game shows. It's available on some of the free streaming services with a VPN. And I do mean this was old, dating back some 67 years to 1956.

The show in question was "To Tell The Truth," an ancient black and white quiz show hosted by Bud Collyer and several quasi-celebrity panelists, who try to guess which one of three contestants is the actual person who accomplished something.

I hadn't seen it in decades (other than the short lived ABC remake) and what I saw could never have made it to air today. One of the trio that came out on stage was a man who wrote Valentine's Day greeting cards and just happened to be what they called an American Indian. (The word Indigenous apparently did not exist back then.)

During the course of the questioning of the three men, there were jokes about wigwams and scalping, which had my mouth dropping open. Can you imagine that happening on any show today?

At one point, one of the questioners, playwright and producer Abe Burrows, casually mentioned that 'next week, we're going to have on the cowboys - you know, the good guys.' 

Wow. I'm actually surprised they reran this episode, given some of the stuff that went on during this segment. Although it's only fair to note it was a product of its time. But nothing like that would ever fly today. It's just amazing how insensitive a show like that could be back then without a hint of its own racism. The contrast with the standards of today were simply stunning.

And to tell the truth, it just shows how times have changed - thankfully, in most cases, for the better. 

January 29, 2024 8:23 am  #2

Re: An Unbelievable Trip Back To A Far Less Politically Correct Time On TV

If the episode was from 1956, it would have been in primetime. The daytime version ran on CBS from 1962-68. Just curious. Was the sponsor a tobacco company? If it was, the product would have been prominently displayed on the set. That is the main reason these early game show episodes are rarely seen today.

January 29, 2024 8:50 am  #3

No, the major sponsor was Dristan, and it appeared to be the daytime version. What made it even more fascinating to watch was that they showed all the original commercials during the show, so you really got the feeling that you were watching it as it happened. 

But one of the panelists, Abe Burrows, was openly smoking during the show and in fact lit up a cigarette while the show was in progress. That was pretty jarring to see, as well, considering it would never happen today. 

January 29, 2024 2:42 pm  #4

Abe Burrows was a Broadway legend whose credits included the books for Guys and Dolls and How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.  His son, James Burrows, is a famed TV director who worked on The Bob Newhart Show, Taxi, Frazier, Friends, Will and Grace, Third Rock From the Sun and The Big Bang Theory.  But that game show sounds like a real jarring experience in this era.

Last edited by dieter (January 29, 2024 2:43 pm)

January 29, 2024 3:10 pm  #5

Oddly enough, on the show I saw, Burrows was asked what he was working on. He replied, "It's a long title, but I think it will be a great show. It's called "How To Succeed In Show Business Without Really Trying." It was readily apparent that none of the other panelists or the host had ever heard of it.