sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 26, 2024 12:54 pm  #1

"TV Shows No One Remembers Any More." What Are They Talking About?

This must be just click bait because it's so absurd it's almost impossible to believe anyone would take this list seriously. 

Twilight Zone forgotten? 

Bewitched unknown to viewers?

Happy Days is out of sight and out of mind?

And really, All in the Family and the original Star Trek? What?

There are plenty of great shows that don't get rerun anymore. The ones listed in the linked article aren't any of them!

Classic TV Shows No One Remembers Anymore

January 26, 2024 1:43 pm  #2

Re: "TV Shows No One Remembers Any More." What Are They Talking About?

Clickbait 100%. That website is chock full of listicles and other clickbait garbage that is usually accessed via social media. I know of, and have seen, all of these shows, except for one... and I'm an early millennial.

Bewitched? Saw it on CHCH. The Twilight Zone, All In The Family and the original Star Trek? Saw them all the time on CKVR back in the day. Even that Hercules series was on in the early years of "The New VR".

Last edited by Forward Power (January 26, 2024 1:51 pm)

January 26, 2024 2:40 pm  #3

I agree with most of this list, except for the shows noted by radioactive.
But yeah, who remembers Laramie or the rifleman?
FWI reruns of The Rifleman were briefly shown at about 4 am on I forget which TV station, and I was working and happened to watch a couple of them.
Geez, both episodes I saw portrayed the Rifleman as a hero, but he basically shot people dead in cold blood.
I guess back then it was seen as really cool.
There are a few shows not on this list that I remember but I'll bet hardly anyone else does.
Like Lincoln Vale of the Everglades, about a cop who chases bad guys using an airboat.
Also My World and Welcome To It.
It starred William Windham as the cartoonist James Thurber.
Or how about T.H.E Cat starring Robert Loggia who plays a reformed cat burglar who uses his skills for good.

January 26, 2024 11:11 pm  #4

Most of these shows were available on the hopefully not gone forever Uncle Earl's Classic TV Channel. The Rifleman and personal favourite Peter Gunn can be seen on Amazon Prime.

January 27, 2024 7:53 am  #5

There used to be a channel called TV Land that carried some of these shows. 
TV land USA may have had different content than TV Land Canada due to rights, possibly.

There is still a chance some of these shows might be on a channel called Antenna in the States. 
They still have a heavy focus on classic television. (nothing newer than early 90's...if at all...mostly further back)

Last edited by Radiowiz (January 27, 2024 7:58 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 27, 2024 12:58 pm  #6

Is that link clickbait? Yes - the list compiled is terrible and somewhat random, certifying its "clickbaity-ness".
Are the shows on that list largely ignored by today's populace? Sure.

Take off the blinders people. Nobody under the age of 50 was alive when Twilight Zone or Bewitched aired. Under 50s grew up watching Three's Company, Diff'rent Strokes, The Cosby Show, and Family Ties.

When Bob woke up beside Emily in the Newhart finale, my father had to explain the joke to me. Apologies to all here for not watching Bob's original show in my preschool years.

I find that people today are far less aware of what came before. Given the wealth of content available on the numerous platforms available, why would I go back to watch The Honeymooners (assuming I've even heard of its existence)?

January 27, 2024 1:03 pm  #7

"Scott Baio's amazing acting" - 

In the meantime, enjoy these outtakes from "The Rifleman" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RusHZ5H1b0I

January 27, 2024 1:06 pm  #8

Binson Echorec wrote:

Is that link clickbait? Yes - the list compiled is terrible and somewhat random, certifying its "clickbaity-ness".

Take off the blinders people. Nobody under the age of 50 was alive when Twilight Zone or Bewitched aired. Under 50s grew up watching Three's Company, Diff'rent Strokes, The Cosby Show, and Family Ties.

When Bob woke up beside Emily in the Newhart finale, my father had to explain the joke to me. Apologies to all here for not watching Bob's original show in my preschool years.

I find that people today are far less aware of what came before. Given the wealth of content available on the numerous platforms available, why would I go back to watch The Honeymooners (assuming I've even heard of its existence)?

Yep. I'm slightly under 50 and I've never watched a single episode of the shows in that list. So, while I've heard of some of them, I have no memory of them

January 27, 2024 1:44 pm  #9

RadioAaron wrote:

Yep. I'm slightly under 50 and I've never watched a single episode of the shows in that list. So, while I've heard of some of them, I have no memory of them

City  TV airs old black and white versions of the Twilight zone, but don't forget, it came back in the 80's, 90's and...well, the most recent version somehow didn't catch on, but you get the idea...it was the exception that had room for either new versions of the originals or some fresh new content.  

As for some of the others, Yes TV had reruns of Happy Days & a few others on the list.   

Some of the shows on the list, unfortunately are just forgotten with no hope of being picked up...CHCH has some old reruns, but not necessarily ones from that list. 

& also, Bewitched had a good recycle as a movie starring Will Farrell & Nicole Kidman, but not a TV series. 

Last edited by Radiowiz (January 27, 2024 1:47 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 27, 2024 2:59 pm  #10

RadioAaron wrote:

Under 50s grew up watching Three's Company   

Do you admit to having watched Three's Company more than once or twice?    

January 27, 2024 3:02 pm  #11

R-S-T-L-N-E wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

That's a heck of a misquote. 

January 28, 2024 8:38 am  #12

BowmanvilleBob wrote:

"Scott Baio's amazing acting" - 

In the meantime, enjoy these outtakes from "The Rifleman" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RusHZ5H1b0I

I have never seen that alternate opening to the show.

January 28, 2024 8:40 am  #13

R-S-T-L-N-E wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

I remember "Jiggle TV" very well.

January 28, 2024 10:07 am  #14

mace wrote:

I remember "Jiggle TV" very well     

Wilma Flintstone or Betty Rubble?      

January 28, 2024 10:40 am  #15

RadioAaron wrote:

Binson Echorec wrote:

The Twilight Zone is generally considered one of the greatest TV shows ever made. The fact that it happened before the days of colour and HD doesn't change that. Rod Serling and other writers used the drama to make comments on modern society or just simply to tell a hell of a story. Not to mention the twist endings.

(Carole Serling, Rod's wife, once told me in an interview about how the network censors were always trying to interfere, so her husband would use an alien to make a comment on the way things were going in the world. Hard to complain when it was coming out of the mouth of a Martian!)

Plus, if you've never seen it, you won't get the significance of the phrase "It's a cookbook!", which has been used as a punchline in dozens of comedies over the years.

Depriving yourself of these gems just because they're "old" only means you're missing out on one of the best written TV shows in history. The episode called "Time Enough At Last," starring the great Burgess Meredith, a man obsessed with reading books, is considered by many critics to be one of the finest half hours of the show, if not TV itself, ever made. 

You can decide for yourself. It (and many other episodes) are available for free on the Internet Archive here.

January 28, 2024 10:43 am  #16

mace wrote:

R-S-T-L-N-E wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

I remember "Jiggle TV" very well.

And it was a great time to be a 13 year-old boy, that's for sure. 

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

January 28, 2024 3:04 pm  #17

RadioActive wrote:

snip

Lol, RA - but I think you've been distracted by your own topic. The quality of Twilight Zone is not what we're discussing. I happen to think it was a great show and enjoyed every episode I ever saw. I wasn't referring to me specifically in my original post - I was referring to an entire generation of people who are under the age of 50 and surmising where their collective head may be.

The topic at hand, as posted by yourself, is whether these shows are on anyone's radar in 2024. I argue that for anyone sub-50, they aren't. And much to your chagrin, believe me - they are not missing it, nor do they feel like they are missing out on anything.

The quality of Twilight Zone itself has nothing to do with this. Quality does not equal popular - see shows like Big Brother or any other prime time game show of late.

Now, as for the secondary (but far more vital to a young me lol) topic of "jiggle-tv":
Priscilla Barnes was Three's Company's answer to WKRP's Jan Smithers.

January 28, 2024 3:23 pm  #18

Well, you may well be right, but the generations who either doesn't know about this or refuses to watch it because it's "old" are missing out on what most critics agree is the best sci fi TV show ever made. Either way, their loss. 

As for "jiggle TV," we really differ there. I understand the attraction of those shows, but outside of the pulchritude on display I found them witless and extremely unfunny. As the old radio comedian Fred Allen is believed to have said, "imitation is the sincerest form of television."

The problem is once Three's Company became a huge hit, there were a ton more of them on every network. They all started looking for their own versions of trying to juggle that jiggle, and for a few years, it stopped the real quality shows  - like a Hill St. Blues - from taking those primetime spots. Everyone wanted their own versions of "Three's Company." And sometimes more than one. 

Soon, primetime in that era became the proverbial vast wasteland. And in those days before streaming and cable, there was nothing to watch. It was the Fred Silverman era and while he helped rescue ABC, he bears a lot of responsibility for the "breast is yet to come" version of television that thankfully, is no longer with us. It may have been fun to look at, which is all he cared about. But it was, to me, the worst period of TV in the medium's history. 

I'm sure many here have very fond - or should that be fondle? - memories of these shows, but they weren't exactly in the same class as a Taxi or an All In The Family. And the more of the former they made, the fewer of the latter got to air. It was a lot of things, but the Golden Age of TV Comedy wasn't one of them. 

January 28, 2024 3:33 pm  #19

A lot of the shows we're talking about are comedies, too. And comedy seems to be a genre that gets tested by time more than others - and not just for so-called PC reasons: humour evolves quickly over time. "You had to be there."

Believability and relatability play heavily into comedy - and shows like Three's Company and Seinfeld fall apart in that regard as most of the plotlines would fall apart if the characters had cell phones.

January 28, 2024 7:36 pm  #20

Binson Echorec wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

snip

Lol, RA - but I think you've been distracted by your own topic. The quality of Twilight Zone is not what we're discussing. I happen to think it was a great show and enjoyed every episode I ever saw. I wasn't referring to me specifically in my original post - I was referring to an entire generation of people who are under the age of 50 and surmising where their collective head may be.

The topic at hand, as posted by yourself, is whether these shows are on anyone's radar in 2024. I argue that for anyone sub-50, they aren't. And much to your chagrin, believe me - they are not missing it, nor do they feel like they are missing out on anything.

The quality of Twilight Zone itself has nothing to do with this. Quality does not equal popular - see shows like Big Brother or any other prime time game show of late.

Now, as for the secondary (but far more vital to a young me lol) topic of "jiggle-tv":
Priscilla Barnes was Three's Company's answer to WKRP's Jan Smithers.

But Barnes didn't wear those amazing Librarian Glasses!