sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 19, 2024 10:50 am  #1

Next Gen TV

This subject has mostly been discussed in OTA Facebook groups and to a certain extent here. While watching the season premiere of Chicago PD, during a local station break , there was a 30 second ad claiming that the future of television has arrived. Next Gen TV will give you the "power of movie theatre quality sound", "consistent sound across all channels", "enhanced internet content". At the end of the ad in bold type NEXTGENTV IS COMING TO... then the KING5 logo appears with the crown on top of the "K". At the bottom of the screen was the disclaimer. "Features available on NEXTGENTV will vary by device and by broadcaster as commercial service becomes available in local markets" I wonder if this ad has shown up in Buffalo or Detroit.

January 19, 2024 11:07 am  #2

Re: Next Gen TV

I haven't seen this campaign yet, but it would not surprise me if it does end up airing in Buffalo. They are certainly pressing the gas pedal to the max on this thing, and I see constant articles and press releases touting how wonderful the future of television will be. 

But the question they never answer is: for who? It's great for programmers, who can sell more targeted ads to consumers. It's potentially terrific for producers, who can demand that their shows can't be recorded to a DVR for later viewing, which would also be a boon to streaming. 

But for you and me? Outside of a little more available information about a show and maybe a relatively imperceptible improved picture and sound, I can't see a lot of benefit to the average viewer. 

This is a Generation I don't want to be a part of. 

January 19, 2024 11:11 am  #3

RadioActive wrote:

It's potentially terrific for producers, who can demand that their shows can't be recorded to a DVR for later viewing, which would also be a boon to streaming. 

Most people who have DVRs have the boxes supplied by their TV providers. Those boxes are perfectly capable of selectively blocking recording.

Just because something *can* does not mean it *will*

January 19, 2024 11:30 am  #4

Speaking of over hyping something, I was watching a few primetime shows on U.S. networks Thursday, when I saw something I hadn't seen before. Commercials for TikTok. Not to tell viewers it's there and they should sign up for an account.

No, these were overly-earnest "I saw a dad in a TikTok video crying over his son being killed in a crash by a drunk driver and I've decided I'll never get into my car in that condition again" messages. Another proclaimed the virtues of TikTok for helping promote good health. And on and on it went. 

Not a word about the idiotic Tide Pod challenge, where kids are encouraged to eat a Tide detergent pod, which can be deadly. Or any of the other moronic "Tik Tok" challenges that are nothing but destructive. Instead, they were touting the so-called "societal good" this thing has never once been proven to have accomplished.

I suspect this attempt to rehab the platform - with strong ties to the Chinese communist government - is just beginning. I'm guessing they're trying to ward off growing calls for a ban on it in the U.S.  If you haven't seen any of these yet, keep watching it and you will. As far as I know, they're not running in Canada. Yet. 

January 19, 2024 11:40 am  #5

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

It's potentially terrific for producers, who can demand that their shows can't be recorded to a DVR for later viewing, which would also be a boon to streaming. 

Most people who have DVRs have the boxes supplied by their TV providers. Those boxes are perfectly capable of selectively blocking recording.

Just because something *can* does not mean it *will*

I was referring to OTA viewing, for which DVRs are also available. I have a great one made by Channel Master.

But I'm aware this technology already exists and has for a long time. (I once bought a piece of equipment to prevent this back in my C-Band satellite days, which was decades ago.)

I'm personally hoping "Next Gen" goes the way of DAB in Canada. Lots of hype and marketing muscle. No take up by the general public. And the flames go out long before it ever catches fire. 

January 19, 2024 11:48 am  #6

Point being, if that hasn't been done yet, there's really no reason to worry that it will in the OTA world now that it's possible.

January 19, 2024 5:55 pm  #7

Haven't seen the ad on any Buffalo stations and I'm OTA.  The market is already ATSC 3.0 but no changes in pic quality yet from what I'm told.  Thus I haven't bothered to try and tune in the channels using 3.0 if 1.0 is the same.

January 19, 2024 8:31 pm  #8

In the interest of facts, the Tide Pod challenge was before TikTok.

January 20, 2024 12:08 am  #9

ATSC 3 may actually benefit Toronto OTA viewers - the WNYO signal that carries 2, 4, 7, 29 and 49 in 3.0 comes from Grand Island and should come in rather better in the GTA than the 1.0 2, 4 and 7 signals from down south of Buffalo.

ATSC 3 reception is also supposed to be more robust on weak signals. There are cheaper receivers coming out now, including a dongle that can work with a cheap tablet or phone for under $70 US.

January 20, 2024 9:37 am  #10

Any suggestions of who is selling a "cheap" dongle in the USA Scott?  Travelling to the states shortly and don't want to spend a lot of $$   Not happy with SiliconDust products - I own 2 of them.

January 20, 2024 12:41 pm  #11

Well, not sure if I really had to do all the steps, but changed the region on my Sony to the USA, rescanned and sure enough it picked up the Buffalo ABC, CBS, NBC, WNYO (?) and Fox in ATSC 3.0.  ABC, CBS and NBC won't come in on 3.0 but will on 1.0  Confirmed in the settings that they were all ATSC 3.0 and Fox is interactive.

Guess I'm too far away from Grand Island and I believe the lower power output on 3.0 to have them come in.  Location is Whitby.

Last edited by pinto (January 20, 2024 12:48 pm)