sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 19, 2024 8:16 am  #1

Bye Bye Tony The Tiger? Feds May Ban Food Ads Aimed At Kids

Are food commercials aimed at children on TV about to go the way of cigarette spots? According to one report, it's coming in the spring in the form of new legislation from Ottawa. 

"The federal government is drafting regulations to be unveiled in the spring for public consultation that will restrict those types of ads to radio, billboards, movie theatre screens and restaurant chain sponsorships of children’s sports teams and leagues."

Not sure how many of these kinds of specific spots ever air on radio, but they certainly turn up on television all the time - and were a major part of most Baby Boomers memories from when they were young. (You can still find a ton of them on YouTube.) Health officials say they want to restrict ads aimed at kids that feature products that “contribute to excess intake of sodium, sugar and saturated fat.”

Which is a pretty wide net to cast. Does that include candy? What about fast food, which is a major advertiser on television? Certainly both of those fit that description. 

Whatever the feds are planning, it appears the bans - and how they would work - are in the pipeline, with no firm date as to when they would start.

Food ads targeting kids will be banned from TV, internet: Report

January 19, 2024 8:31 am  #2

Re: Bye Bye Tony The Tiger? Feds May Ban Food Ads Aimed At Kids

Tim Hortons and McDonald's, which both sponsor kids sports teams across the country, still do plenty of radio ads, plus almost every station out there works McHappy Day and Camp Day, because corporate expects it. The proposed ban should have included the sports team sponsorships, because said sponsorships just reinforce Tim's and McD's (and their junk food) as top-of-mind with our children.

January 19, 2024 10:06 am  #3

I have little objection to this.

January 19, 2024 10:53 am  #4

Kids in the 60s, 70s and 80s were far less overweight, much more active, generally physically and mentally healthier, and grew up wolfing down Frosted Flakes, Lucky Charms and Captain Crunch.  Ads have nothing to do with it.

January 19, 2024 12:10 pm  #5

Sigh...once again, another of the "I don't want to get political....but" posts, based on dog whistling from a bunch of right-wing media outlets with little or no context provided.

There have long been restrictions placed on advertising directed specifically at children and they have been put in place after consultations with the ad industry, largely to prevent the sort of "hey kids, hold your breath until your parents buy you..." kind of ads that were prevalent in the 70s/80s. As recently as last year, a [url=https://cassels.com/insights/a-bite-sized-update-on-the-new-restrictions-on-advertising-food-to-children/#:~:text=As%20set%20out%20above%2C%20Health,place%20between%202016%20and%202019.]new round of regulations[/url] were announced, in addition to the rules already put in place by the Ad Council of Canada. 

As always, the key issue is whether the ads are specifically targeted at children, which is based on both the content and whether they're being broadcast on channels and at times when kids make up the largest share of the audience. We've all seen this ad featuring Tony the Tiger, but with no kids in the cast and the fact that it's been broadcast in prime time and on numerous specialty channels, it's debatable as to whether it would be affected by these proposed regulatory changes. 

Frankly, this kind of partisan misinformation serves no one.

January 19, 2024 12:59 pm  #6

WUTV29 used to run ads for The Sundowner during my after-school cartoon block of G.I. Joe and The Transformers.

Which is more detrimental?

Last edited by Binson Echorec (January 19, 2024 12:59 pm)

January 19, 2024 1:14 pm  #7

Saturday mornings, Cartoon network is going to have to find a new source of revenue, I suppose...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 19, 2024 2:39 pm  #8

I can't understand this thinking.
Most of the ads in question would be aimed at young kids still dependent on their parents.
Frosted flakes and Count Chocula are not generally not aimed at teens or young adults.
When a kid wants that stuff they have to ask their parents.
Can't they just say, "no" or am I being naive?

January 19, 2024 3:09 pm  #9

I think the logic is if the kids don't see it on TV, they won't know to ask for it and bug their parents when they're forced to tag along on a shopping trip.

January 19, 2024 4:17 pm  #10

January 19, 2024 7:49 pm  #11

RadioActive wrote:

I think the logic is if the kids don't see it on TV, they won't know to ask for it and bug their parents when they're forced to tag along on a shopping trip.

I was just in a No Frills. When I turned into the cereal aisle, the first cereals to be seen were the ones loaded with sugar - and there were a lot of them - almost all with kid attention grabbing logos and graphics. At the end of the cereal selection, the Shredded Wheat, the Raisin Bran and the Bran Buds.

January 19, 2024 8:24 pm  #12

BowmanvilleBob wrote:

Sigh...once again, another of the "I don't want to get political....but" posts, based on dog whistling from a bunch of right-wing media outlets with little or no context provided.

There have long been restrictions placed on advertising directed specifically at children and they have been put in place after consultations with the ad industry, largely to prevent the sort of "hey kids, hold your breath until your parents buy you..." kind of ads that were prevalent in the 70s/80s. As recently as last year, a [url=https://cassels.com/insights/a-bite-sized-update-on-the-new-restrictions-on-advertising-food-to-children/#:~:text=As%20set%20out%20above%2C%20Health,place%20between%202016%20and%202019.]new round of regulations[/url] were announced, in addition to the rules already put in place by the Ad Council of Canada. 

As always, the key issue is whether the ads are specifically targeted at children, which is based on both the content and whether they're being broadcast on channels and at times when kids make up the largest share of the audience. We've all seen this ad featuring Tony the Tiger, but with no kids in the cast and the fact that it's been broadcast in prime time and on numerous specialty channels, it's debatable as to whether it would be affected by these proposed regulatory changes. 

Frankly, this kind of partisan misinformation serves no one.

I was going to say something similar.
Thank you!

January 20, 2024 11:04 am  #13

Binson Echorec wrote:

WUTV29 used to run ads for The Sundowner during my after-school cartoon block of G.I. Joe and The Transformers. Which is more detrimental?

So you get a kid who wants to be just like GI Joe and is riding a sugar high... I like where this goes...