sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 12, 2024 5:42 pm  #1

The TV Cartoons That Time Forgot

Here's a Facebook page I've never seen before that a friend sent me to. My head is exploding just looking at it. It's called The TV Cartoons That Time Forgot. 

From Tom Terrific and Manfred The Wonder Dog to Ruff And Reddy, Heckle & Jeckle and Deputy Dawg, it's like my entire Saturday morning childhood is located there. Lots of pics to jog your memory. What a great site!

The TV Cartoons That Time Forgot

January 12, 2024 6:20 pm  #2

Re: The TV Cartoons That Time Forgot

There was a site called the Big Cartoon Data Base that had the history of every cartoon series ever made divided up by the studios that created them. You couldn't actually watch the cartoons but every detail about the number of episodes produced and number of years in production were there. Unfortunately, the site is no longer functioning.

January 13, 2024 6:11 am  #3

With a little digging I have found a site that is close to the now defunct Big Cartoon Database. Don Markstein's Toonopedia has a fairly extensive list of cartoon and comic book characters, all listed alphabetically. There are additional sections dealing with the voices behind the toons and the companies that made the toons. Sorry, but I have no idea how to post a link to the site.

January 13, 2024 10:27 am  #4

mace wrote:

With a little digging I have found a site that is close to the now defunct Big Cartoon Database. Don Markstein's Toonopedia has a fairly extensive list of cartoon and comic book characters, all listed alphabetically. There are additional sections dealing with the voices behind the toons and the companies that made the toons. Sorry, but I have no idea how to post a link to the site.

https://www.toonopedia.com/

January 13, 2024 5:26 pm  #5

As a kid of about nine or ten years old I remember getting up at about 7am on the Saturday morning when all the new cartoons for the season were debuting.
Couldn't wait to see them as I flipped through the TV Guide magazine to see what was going to come on and when.
If memory serves there were a slew of shows that at least tried to be intelligent like the animated version of Star Trek, Johnny Quest and even The Lone Ranger.
And of course I loved the absurd satire of Rocky and Bullwinkle.
I also found it kind of interesting that some cartoon shows were shown in the evening in prime time when kids were being put to bed like The Flintstones, The Jetsons and Top Cat.
The 1960s and '70s were certainly a golden age for TV kids' TV.

January 13, 2024 8:33 pm  #6

I think most people know this, but The Flintstones was a cartoon-version of The Honeymooners, while Top Cat was a direct rip-off of The Phil Silvers Show (aka Sgt. Bilko.) They even hired one of the cast members from that latter classic, Maurice Gosfield, who played the shlubby Pvt. Duane Doberman on the Bilko show, to be Benny The Ball, one of Top Cat's henchmen. Er, hench cats...

January 13, 2024 9:17 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

I think most people know this, but The Flintstones was a cartoon-version of The Honeymooners.

Jackie Gleason had considered suing Hanna-Barbera over the similarities and his lawyers said he probably would have a good case. But according to Henry Corden, who took over the voice of Fred Flintstone when original voice actor Alan Reed died in 1977, Gleason's lawyers also advised against it, saying "Do you want to be known as the guy who yanked Fred Flintstone off the air?" The Flintstones were well-loved by both kids and parents by that time, so Gleason decided to let it pass.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

January 15, 2024 12:53 am  #8

Hanna-Barbera 50 Opening Animations and Themes...

January 15, 2024 10:57 am  #9

One of my all time favourite T-shirts: