sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 12, 2024 10:13 am  #1

Anthony Furey To Replace Alex Pierson For Several Weeks On AM640

Alex Pierson's long awaited hip surgery is happening Jan. 20th and the AM640 mid-morning host confirmed on Friday it will put her out of commission for several weeks, starting as soon as next Monday. Anthony Furey will be taking her place until she's ready to come back. 

It's the second time a local radio personality in that timeslot has been laid low by surgery. Last year, CFRB's Jerry Agar disappeared for a while while he was recovering from a knee operation. Thanks to remote technology, he was able to return fairly quickly. It remains to be see if Pierson will be able to, you should pardon the expression, follow in his footsteps. 

January 12, 2024 2:58 pm  #2

Re: Anthony Furey To Replace Alex Pierson For Several Weeks On AM640

I can't imagine hip surgery being much fun for anybody - let alone someone I would deem "too young" for such a procedure, but I'm not a doctor lol. I wish her a speedy recovery.

January 12, 2024 4:42 pm  #3

Not sure what's more painful- hip surgery or having to listen to Furious Anthony for weeks on end.

January 12, 2024 4:49 pm  #4

Hansa wrote:

Not sure what's more painful- hip surgery or having to listen to Furious Anthony for weeks on end.

Furey is no more furious than Alex Pierson, so I doubt you listen to her much.  Try the CBC.

January 13, 2024 1:06 pm  #5

Once again, replacing a professional broadcaster with an amateur When will these stations learn ? I don't know of any industry that has rank amateurs replace professionals .   " Good Morning sir, your brain surgeon has taken the day off, so the nurse will be filling in "

Then they wonder why the ratings suck .

January 13, 2024 3:00 pm  #6

Stinand wrote:

Once again, replacing a professional broadcaster with an amateur When will these stations learn ? I don't know of any industry that has rank amateurs replace professionals .   " Good Morning sir, your brain surgeon has taken the day off, so the nurse will be filling in "

Then they wonder why the ratings suck .

I enjoy Anthony Furey.  He's bright, clear, backs up his opinions, and doesn't say 'Y'know' every second sentence, like some of the 'profesessionals'.  He will be a very capable fill-in for Alex, and I wish her a good procedure and recovery.

January 13, 2024 8:34 pm  #7

I agree, I find nothing "problematic" about Anthony's on air delivery. 

January 14, 2024 8:13 am  #8

I will be listening to Anthony!

January 14, 2024 4:23 pm  #9

For the second day in a row, AM640 is running a promo for "Let's Talk With Dani Stover." That's fine, but the copy clearly says "Join me tonight..." This show doesn't air on the weekends. If they want to promote this "best-of" program, the very least they should do is have one specifically made to be put in the run for Saturday and Sunday. 

I've also often wondered about the "Let's Talk" name. Isn't that associated with Bell's mental health campaign? I think they should have picked a different title. 

January 16, 2024 10:09 am  #10

Turns out Pierson is leaving next week instead, although she announced her impending surgery last week. But she confirmed on Tuesday she'll be out for several weeks and Furey will be replacing her as long as it takes for her to recover.

She was lamenting how immobile the procedure will leave her and all the things she won't be able to do while she recuperates. And she added she's out shopping for a scooter while she still can! I enjoy her show and, while I have nothing aganist Furey, I hope she'll be back and feeling better soon.

Last edited by RadioActive (January 16, 2024 10:11 am)

January 24, 2024 7:29 am  #11

Furey confirmed on the show that Pierson's hip replacement operation was a success and she's expected back sometime in February. But it might even be sooner - Furey says he plans to have her appear on her own show in the coming days from home.

In the meantime, here's a special cartoon just for the absent host.