sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 9, 2024 5:01 pm  #1

For F%$# Sake Stop it

Please, please talk show hosts saying the same thing day after day.  "We have a busy show today" or "A lot is happening on the show today."
This only works if you come on the air one day and say, "Hey, we have a slow day today with very few topics of note."

January 9, 2024 5:15 pm  #2

Re: For F%$# Sake Stop it

I like the way they rush guests out. After a few minutes on a topic they say they're running out of time. Actually, they have a S---load of time and have barely scratched the surface of a topic. And the hosts come off sounding rude. OTOH, perhaps they don't know how to keep the conversation interesting and compelling. I'm not saying run on for an hour ... but give it 20 minutes and know enough about the topic to know where the interesting turns and such will be, and don't unload it all at once so there's no suspense.

January 9, 2024 5:49 pm  #3

When I saw the title of this thread, I was sure it would be about 'Callum's sister 'Fiona' showing up on the loathsome Spence Diamond ads.  Beyond awful, even for them.

January 9, 2024 5:51 pm  #4

F%$# sake is a Japanese rice wine served chilled and with raw fish 

January 9, 2024 5:51 pm  #5

A lot of this is formatics. They generally operate in 15 minute increments, with commercials on the quarter hour. They have a hard out, especially if it's a network show on more than one station. So they have to wrap up even before they're ready. It's annoying but it doesn't always mean the host doesn't know their stuff. 

There seems to be a feeling that sticking with a single topic for several segments would get boring, so they do a lot of 15-minute turnovers. Don't like this topic? Stand-by, we'll have another one for you in a few minutes.

January 9, 2024 6:00 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

A lot of this is formatics. They generally operate in 15 minute increments, with commercials on the quarter hour. They have a hard out, especially if it's a network show on more than one station. So they have to wrap up even before they're ready. It's annoying but it doesn't always mean the host doesn't know their stuff. 

There seems to be a feeling that sticking with a single topic for several segments would get boring, so they do a lot of 15-minute turnovers. Don't like this topic? Stand-by, we'll have another one for you in a few minutes.

I always have wondered if also they PURPOSELY do NOT want any topic getting too in-depth in a way that after long enough, hosts and guests run the risk of getting too passionate and perhaps saying something out of line, or potentially disenfranchising to some listeners.

I always think of 1010 as the "CHR of Talk Radio".  Stick to the "Hits".  Don't get too in-depth, and be always teasing and setting up the next thing.  Purposely take "too long" setting up the segment so that you'll never get into the danger of discussing the nitty-gritty of anything.

After all, 1010 did rid of their positioning statement "In-Depth Radio".  I never thought they were since the mid to late 2000s.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

January 9, 2024 6:25 pm  #7

You're thinking of F%$# Saké.

R-S-T-L-N-E wrote:

F%$# sake is a Japanese rice wine served chilled and with raw fish 

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

January 9, 2024 6:32 pm  #8

After I gave up on talk radio, puppies cuddle closer and butterflies land on my shoulder.

January 9, 2024 7:41 pm  #9

Jody Thornton wrote:

I always think of 1010 as the "CHR of Talk Radio".  Stick to the "Hits".  Don't get too in-depth, and be always teasing and setting up the next thing.  Purposely take "too long" setting up the segment so that you'll never get into the danger of discussing the nitty-gritty of anything.

You've hit the nail on its head... and it's a major reason why the only time I listen to 1010 and 640 is to hope they'll fade enough so I can DX what's underneath. Whereas I do actually listen to some other stations. It's like passing by yet another fender bender. Nuthin' there...

January 9, 2024 8:42 pm  #10

Ari Goldkind spoke his free mind this morning on The Alex Pierson Show. At least as much as the CBSC code allows anyway. Kelly Cutrara is always sharp and relatable. And Oakley had high energy and content throughout his program. ALL the hosts have new vigor ever since Cupido, Chapman and Gifford were released.
I say this as someone who has (mild) discord with Bendixen, but clearly he has let the horses run and the audience is served better for it.