sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 5, 2024 2:47 pm  #1

PWHL TV Rating

The PWHL has issued a press release stating that 2.9 million people watched the inaugural game between Toronto and New York on CBC, TSN and Sportsnet.  That’s comparable to a NHL playoff game involving the Leafs and another Canadian team. There was no French language broadcast on RDS or it might have been even higher.

- Edit
As stated by others below the peak audience was 2.9 million.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (January 5, 2024 4:51 pm)

January 5, 2024 3:02 pm  #2

Re: PWHL TV Rating

Great, now imagine if the game were to only air on ONE channel? 2.9 million all in one place? NICE!  
No need to spread out the viewership...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 5, 2024 3:52 pm  #3

Misleading, and your comparison is false. The audience peaked at 2.9 million. Average was much lower (as always). It was more on-par with a regional NHL game. Nowhere near the playoff figures you mentioned. Still impressive though! 

January 5, 2024 4:49 pm  #4

I stand corrected. Later in the press release it said 879,000.  That’s comparable to a regular season Hockey Night in Canada game.

January 5, 2024 7:10 pm  #5

I am sure those early numbers can be attributed to curiosity.  If they remain steady and don't crater, there must be general interest in the new league.

January 5, 2024 10:44 pm  #6

I watched the game tonight between Toronto and New York and was very impressed by the play-by-play announcer, Jamie Hersch. Excellent. Hope to watch more of these broadcasts.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

January 6, 2024 9:01 am  #7

I watched both of the Toronto/NYC games and enjoyed them, now they need to pick some team names!