sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 5, 2024 11:31 am  #1

I Just Dont Get It.

"I don't understand why AM 640 and 1010 talk radio stations are so similar. They seem like carbon copies of each other, even down to their topics and guests. It's confusing since 1010 used to be a dominant player in the market, but now it's just battling with 640 for a 2 share . In my opinion, it's important for businesses to differentiate themselves to stand out from their competitors, especially in a shrinking market like radio, but that seems to have escaped these 2 combatants 

The content of both stations is often heavy and dismal. I prefer to have a laugh during the day, but talk radio in Toronto has become too negative. Additionally, both stations only focus on Toronto issues and ignore anything outside the city. As someone who lives in Oakville, I find it frustrating to hear endless chatter about Toronto traffic or the Eglinton cross-town.

While the corporate overlords may be to blame, ultimately, the stations need to step up and create must-listen talk radio or shut down their transmitters altogether."Carbon Copies Dont Work And Other Talk Radio Rants 

I don't get it ( actually many things ) why AM 640 and 1010 are carbon copies of each other. With the once mighty 1010  battling 640, does somebody not know how to differentiate between the two? They both sound the same, even down to topics and guests. Radio is a shrinking market, and differentiating your product ( applies to any product) should help you stand out. It's a simple business practice but evades the management of these stations.

The content of both is so heavy and dismal in most cases. Who wants to tune into that? I enjoy the odd laugh throughout the day, but talk radio in Toronto has become misery-central.

Both have signals that cover the GTA  but ignore anything but Toronto issues. I live in Oakville. Endless chat about the Eglington cross-town or traffic jams drives me to want to stick an AM antenna through my ear drum. 

You can blame the corporate overlords all you want, but at the end of the day, soembody needs to step up and create must listen to talk radio or switch off the transmitters today..

Last edited by Stinand (January 5, 2024 11:31 am)

January 5, 2024 11:50 am  #2

Re: I Just Dont Get It.

Okay, first of all, when CFRB was KING, there was no CP 24 and there was no AM 640.
The past is the past.
Today, we have two stations that refuse to hand ratings over to the other.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 5, 2024 11:53 am  #3

I’m sure like top 40, talk stations have “hits.”
Hosts will know what generates a reaction and what lights up the phone lines, so they’re going to go to those topics frequently. The hot button topics are probably the same for both stations.

January 5, 2024 11:53 am  #4

So we compare TV to radio ? And when 1010 had an 8 and 9 share, 640 was very much in play.

"=12pxwe have two stations that refuse to hand ratings over to the other."  Sorry this does not compute, perhaps expand ?

January 5, 2024 12:22 pm  #5

Stinand wrote:

And when 1010 had an 8 and 9 share, 640 was very much in play.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 5, 2024 12:48 pm  #6

Nice Video!!!  On October 10, 1995, at 10 p.m., the station changed to a full-time talk format.[6][/url][url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CFIQ#cite_note-7][7] As Talk 640, the station aired syndicated shows such as Joy Browne, Rhona Raskin, Dr. Laura and Live Audio Wrestling, along with local programming hosted by personalities such as Gene ValaitisJane HawtinBill Carroll, Shelley Klinck, Marsha Lederman, Karen Horsman, Michael CorenDave Chalk, Spaceman Gary Bell and Roger Kelly. It was then MOJO for awhile then in 2004 changed to current format. 1010 was getting a round an 8 in 2004, thats 4 times what it has now .

Last edited by Stinand (January 5, 2024 12:51 pm)

January 5, 2024 1:03 pm  #7

They really need to update their branding from 'NEWS TALK 1010' to 'MANAGED DECLINE 1010'. Fewer people would then be surprised when they listen.

January 5, 2024 1:43 pm  #8

Stinand wrote:

On October 10, 1995, at 10 p.m., the station changed to a full-time talk format.

It was going on even earlier than that, although apparently not full time. My records say this ad in my collection came out in 1994.

January 5, 2024 2:00 pm  #9

Stinand wrote:

So we compare TV to radio ? And when 1010 had an 8 and 9 share, 640 was very much in play.

...and in the golden days for RB in the 60s and 70s, before 1320 became 640, CFRB had an audience share of 30% and a weekly cume of around 1.75 million. To think that it's now at 3% of its former self (on a good day).

January 5, 2024 2:03 pm  #10

There are a lot of rose-coloured glasses and nostalgia comments that populate this board. It gets to be a bit much at times, tbh.

But I have to agree with the OP - the similarities of both stations cannot be ignored.

With regard to talk radio itself, I've found zaniness and humour to be thing of the past. We have hosts rather than personalities.

On the flip-side - we live in a world where being glib and sarcastic are pretty much socially unacceptable. Hosts are now more concerned about upsetting an audience member and then having to deal with a complaint. I think hosting these days is harder in that regard than its ever been. If you were a host and one of your peers was dismissed for saying something egregious, wouldn't you then start to watch your words?

January 5, 2024 3:39 pm  #11

Most people here know these are the main outlets I listen to, because I just don't find music all that compelling anymore. But that's not to say they both couldn't be done a lot better. 

I think one of the reasons they both cover so much of the same ground is that there are only so many big headlines on a daily basis and those are the ones that tend to get talked about.  

I see a few problems here. The biggest one is the ownership. Bell, especially, is one of the cheapest organizations there is. They have cut CFRB's news room to nothing, using only newsreaders at the top of the hour for headlines, and throwing to tape (if any) from CTV, their sister television station. (Why they don't make more use of CP24 is beyond me.)

But what it ends up meaning is they have no reporters to go and follow a breaking story and bring it to air live while it's going on. Instead, if it didn't air on CTV's Noon news, there are no real updates until 6 PM. And if something happens after the suppertime TV show is over, well, that's too bad. The 11:30 reports, now hopelessly dated, will get re-stripped in the morning. And the beat goes on. Losing those live reporters who could be sent out to cover something going on at say, 2 PM, has been a devastating loss. So cutbacks are the #1 disaster factor to me. 

Another problem, as Stinand rightly notes, is this excessive devotion to Toronto, especially the downtown core. It's often described by conservatives as where the "liberal elite live." Well, if that's the case, why are they concentrating on an cohort that clearly won't be tuning into conservative-leaning talk radio? Plus, with those cutbacks, more stations outside the GTA (i.e. CKTB) are taking the Toronto-sourced programs, like Jerry Agar. 

Love him or hate him, I'm sure talk of traffic cameras being set up in Toronto neighbourhoods is as intensely uninteresting to people in St. Catharines as you can get. It's even worse for the Jim Richards hosted "NewsTalk Tonight" which goes across the country. Yet almost every single topic is GTA-oriented, perhaps because the producers or Richards don't bother to look for other stories beyond the city limits. If I'm in Regina, why do I care what Doug Ford did today in Ontario? Yet it goes on this way day after day after day. 

Bell clearly doesn't care about these stations and I'm not sure why they're hanging on to them only to make them worse. 

In some cases, Corus does the same thing, taking Alex Pierson's show into Hamilton and London, while heavily focused just on Toronto. Why would someone listening on CFPL care about what Olivia Chow had to say about anything? Or Peel Region's fight for separation? Tune outs. But again, no choice, because local talent costs money. And they're no longer willing to spend it. 

Finally, because there are no more radio reporters, all these guys use the same source - newspapers. So everyone reads an exclusive in the Toronto Star and with no researcher of their own, they all wind up refencing the same articles. I used to joke that if there was ever a newspaper strike in this town, all the talk stations would go off the air. Except all these years later, I'm not so sure it's a joke. 

January 5, 2024 6:20 pm  #12

Getting back to what Stinand was talking about and the negativity of Toronto talk.  I listened to Jerry Agar for the first time in a few months yesterday for about 40 minutes and you would think that Toronto and Canada were the most repressed backward places in the world.

Unbelievable how negative this guys is.  I have read that he has a great sense of humour.  Well, it never shows up on air.  He sounds like a guy who doesn't know much or very interested in the city or country he lives in.  Agar's show seems to be all about his gripes and things he doesn't like, and that gets really tiresome very quick to my ears. 

Also yesterday I listened to CKTB in the afternoon with Jon Gonzo.  What a difference, and a much better afternoon drive show and host than what CFRB usually has.  Actually I haven't enjoyed RB's drive show for years and rarely listen .  Last afternoon host I enjoyed was when John Moore was on about 100 years ago or maybe John Tory.

Gonzo moved smoothly from topic to topic, he had a side kick on with him (didn't get his name) and both were very entertaining and natural.  I really liked the way he moved from politics to entertainment to sports and would go back to a earlier topic if a listener touched on it.  Best of all he sounded like he was enjoying himself and had fun.  Something lacking on Newstalk 1010. 

So you can't always blame everything on Bell like someone in particular always does.  CKTB is owned by the same company and from what I heard yesterday, a better and more interesting afternoon program with local news, traffic and weather. TB sounds like they know their audience and who they are broadcasting to, unlike CFRB who seem lost somewhere in the fog in Lake Ontario, and far too negative.  

January 5, 2024 6:25 pm  #13

paterson1 wrote:

Getting back to what Stinand was talking about and the negativity of Toronto talk.  I listened to Jerry Agar for the first time in a few months yesterday for about 40 minutes and you would think that Toronto and Canada were the most repressed backward places in the world.

Unbelievable how negative this guys is.  I have read that he has a great sense of humour.  Well, it never shows up on air.  He sounds like a guy who doesn't know much or very interested in the city or country he lives in.  Agar's show seems to be all about his gripes and things he doesn't like, and that gets really tiresome very quick to my ears. 

Also yesterday I listened to CKTB in the afternoon with Jon Gonzo.  What a difference, and a much better afternoon drive show and host than what CFRB usually has.  Actually I haven't enjoyed RB's drive show for years and rarely listen .  Last afternoon host I enjoyed was when John Moore was on about 100 years ago or maybe John Tory.

Gonzo moved smoothly from topic to topic, he had a side kick on with him (didn't get his name) and both were very entertaining and natural.  I really liked the way he moved from politics to entertainment to sports and would go back to a earlier topic if a listener touched on it.  Best of all he sounded like he was enjoying himself and had fun.  Something lacking on Newstalk 1010. 

So you can't always blame everything on Bell like someone in particular always does.  CKTB is owned by the same company and from what I heard yesterday, a better and more interesting afternoon program with local news, traffic and weather. TB sounds like they know their audience and who they are broadcasting to, unlike CFRB who seem lost somewhere in the fog in Lake Ontario, and far too negative.  

I agree with all of this and am also glad to hear that Jon is back on the air. Didn't realize he'd landed at CKTB after being laid off at Corus in Ottawa.

January 5, 2024 6:27 pm  #14

RadioActive wrote:

Another problem, as Stinand rightly notes, is this excessive devotion to Toronto, especially the downtown core. It's often described by conservatives as where the "liberal elite live." Well, if that's the case, why are they concentrating on an cohort that clearly won't be tuning into conservative-leaning talk radio?

Not only that, but radio listening downtown is going to be far less than what it is in the suburbs. Transit commuters are not listening to the radio, and most condo dwellers couldn't listen to AM if they wanted to.

January 5, 2024 6:42 pm  #15

Part of that can be laid at the feet of the hosts. Generally newsy people, who are safe, but boring. Not many laughs. Old school talk radio. 

January 5, 2024 6:44 pm  #16

Gonzo is one of the greats, glad to hear he's back on the air.

January 5, 2024 6:57 pm  #17

paterson1 wrote:

=12pxI listened to Jerry Agar for the first time in a few months yesterday for about 40 minutes and you would think that Toronto and Canada were the most repressed backward places in the world. 

Agar honed his 'craft' on major stations in the good ol' USA. Perhaps he thinks he's still living there.

January 5, 2024 10:23 pm  #18

Yep and they all just keep on dipping into each other's wells whether it's the same experts on police, weather, tech education, health care and on and on.
When I worked in private radio there was huge rivalry on who you could lay claims to as your station's special experts.
It was a matter of honour. and fierce competition.
In fact years ago I was hired by one Vancouver radio station because the news director learned that I was turned down by their direct rival and he just wanted to hire me out of spite.
These rivalries were part of the "cool factor" about broadcasting, specifically radio.
To paraphrase "Forrest Gump," radio was like a box of chocolates, you never knew what you were going to get."

January 6, 2024 3:26 pm  #19

memories of wbz's larry glick.

January 6, 2024 7:14 pm  #20

the original hank wrote:

No one, that I've ever listened to, was as entertaining as Larry 'I need to be needed' Glick. His late-night phone-outs to numbers provided by listeners was always a hoot.

Larry knew how to touch an audience. RIP, Larry, from a longtime Glicknik!

January 7, 2024 6:48 am  #21

the original hank wrote:

617-254-5678.

January 7, 2024 8:01 am  #22

A memory flogger. What a great talent.

January 8, 2024 10:45 am  #23

One more thought about this, as I flipped between 1010 and 640 on Monday, as everything gets back to the regular post-holiday schedule. 

I think others have expressed this before but it's worth repeating that one of the problems I see with both major talk stations is having the same guests over and over and over. Take CFRB's twice daily morning Roundtable (or is it called The Free For All? I'm never sure.) We hear the same voices all the time - Deb Hutton, Tim Hudak, Michelle Morrow (a music teacher. Why?) Shelley Carroll, various city councillors, Toronto Star columnists, Mark Warner, etc. etc. etc.

My personal pet peeve is the constant presence of Laura Babcock, who is so ubiquitous, she's often on three shows on the same day! The fact she never stops talking on her completely predictable positions means no one else gets their say. 

I know the point of the Roundtable is "interesting people with interesting things to say," but surely there must be others they can invite on. 

640's clone "Think Tank" suffers from the same problem, with Mark Saunders, Anthony Furey, Steve Paikin et. al, on every other day. 

Variety, they say, is the spice of life. Maybe a little more spice would help. 

January 8, 2024 8:26 pm  #24

RadioActive wrote:

My personal pet peeve is the constant presence of Laura Babcock, who is so ubiquitous, she's often on three shows on the same day! The fact she never stops talking on her completely predictable positions means no one else gets their say. 

And sure enough, there she was again on CFRB's NewsTalk Tonight Monday! Honestly, she's on so many times, they should probably just give her her own show. If they did, at least she'd be on less often.