sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 31, 2023 3:28 pm  #1

Whatever Happened To New Year's Eve Specials On Toronto Radio?

What are you doing New Year's Eve? Back in the old days, this was a pretty unusual night on many stations, which took pains to present special shows as the New Year loomed. I remember CHUM doing a countdown of the top hits of the past year, with #1 generally timed to air right before midnight. 

Most stations these days seem to have all but abandoned those kind of shows and some - like CHFI, CHUM-FM and Q107 - don't appear to be doing anything really different on Dec. 31st - at least not according to their respective websites. 

But there still are a few who try to set the night on fire. Here's are the ones I found:

KISS 92.5 - has a special day of programming planned for Dec. 31st, culminating in 6-hour commercial free NYE music mix starting at 8 PM.

CFNY - After the Top 23 of 23 countdown, it's highlights from groups that played live at Sugar Beach over the past year. It includes sets by Sam Roberts and Kiefer Sutherland. The "Edge Lang Syne" continues on Jan. 1st.

Indie 88.1 - The independent music outlet promises to unveil its Great 88. The first play started at 10AM and runs to 5 PM, starts again and goes until midnight, with rerolls twice more on Jan. 1st. There's no need to wait to find out what the top song is, though - they've posted the entire list on their website.

I well remember staying up late as a kid to hear the #1 song of the year on CHUM. I wonder if a younger demo will be as interested today, what with streaming and other places to be. If not, too bad. I have very fond memories of those late nights to kick off another year.

December 31, 2023 3:47 pm  #2

Re: Whatever Happened To New Year's Eve Specials On Toronto Radio?

Some blasts from New Year's past:

1958-1959

1971 -WGTO, Orlando, Fl. 

Some CHUM Charts courtesy The CHUM Tribute Site.

December 31, 2023 3:58 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

What are you doing New Year's Eve? Back in the old days, this was a pretty unusual night on many stations, which took pains to present special shows as the New Year loomed. I remember CHUM doing a countdown of the top hits of the past year, with #1 generally timed to air right before midnight. 

Most stations these days seem to have all but abandoned those kind of shows and some - like CHFI, CHUM-FM and Q107 - don't appear to be doing anything really different on Dec. 31st - at least not according to their respective websites. 

But there still are a few who try to set the night on fire. Here's are the ones I found:

KISS 92.5 - has a special day of programming planned for Dec. 31st, culminating in 6-hour commercial free NYE music mix starting at 8 PM.

CFNY - After the Top 23 of 23 countdown, it's highlights from groups that played live at Sugar Beach over the past year. It includes sets by Sam Roberts and Kiefer Sutherland. The "Edge Lang Syne" continues on Jan. 1st.

Indie 88.1 - The independent music outlet promises to unveil its Great 88. The first play started at 10AM and runs to 5 PM, starts again and goes until midnight, with rerolls twice more on Jan. 1st. There's no need to wait to find out what the top song is, though - they've posted the entire list on their website.

I well remember staying up late as a kid to hear the #1 song of the year on CHUM. I wonder if a younger demo will be as interested today, what with streaming and other places to be. If not, too bad. I have very fond memories of those late nights to kick off another year.

A quick look on socials says otherwise....

CHFI doing a Non-Stop New Year's Eve special with Pooja & Gurdeep starting at 8PM. They also did this last year.

CHUM-FM with their annual Top 40 of the year 6-9PM followed by a NYE edition of the Weekend Blowout 9PM-1AM.

Boom Non-Stop NYE 8PM-1AM with Matt Storey. Pretty sure this airs on other Stingray Boom-like stations across Canada as well.

December 31, 2023 4:01 pm  #4

Virgin, BOOM, CHUM, CHFI, KISS, CFNY, Indie 88 and likely a few other Toronto stations are all doing New Year's Eve special programming many commercial free into Monday morning.  The countdown shows usually run on New Year's Day.

December 31, 2023 4:21 pm  #5

Thanks for the updates. I was basing it on their websites, which is where you'd expect to find info like that. None of them had anything, which I found surprising. Not sure why they're not listed, but good to know the special night is being observed. I always looked forward to it as a kid. 

December 31, 2023 4:25 pm  #6

During my tenure at a major Ontario station in the BC (before computers) radio era, the married on-air people had Christmas day off while they were pulling air shifts New Year's Day for those who were single.  I remember one year, early 60's, I had to do my regular New Year's Day morning shift.  Went to a New Year's Eve party the night before until 4:00 am, had to sign-on at 6:00 am.  Went in, signed on in bad shape, lasted one hour before I had to call for replacements.  Big explanation to station manager the next day.  Ahhh the good old days!

December 31, 2023 4:49 pm  #7

HUH? I thought a VT'd Countdown, airing NYE, then repeating again on New Year's Day is the cheapest way for radio to do things so they don't have to worry about some of the content New Year's day or New Year's eve...

Last edited by Radiowiz (December 31, 2023 4:50 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 31, 2023 4:59 pm  #8

Dale Patterson's Rock Radio Scrapbook features a classic Top of the Year countdown aircheck from 1973, if you want to hear how they used to do it. 

December 31, 2023 5:00 pm  #9

"What are you doing New Year's Eve?"

One of the few good things about getting on in years is the freedom to NOT stay up until midnight. 😁

December 31, 2023 6:05 pm  #10

Dial Twister wrote:

"What are you doing New Year's Eve?"

One of the few good things about getting on in years is the freedom to NOT stay up until midnight. 😁

You know it Dial, if I make it to midnight, it will be spread out in my Lazy Boy after a two hour nap likely. 

January 1, 2024 11:35 am  #11

I was watching Packers/Vikings which was turning into a blowout. Fell asleep in my lazyboy around 10pm. Woke up at 2am and went to bed.

January 1, 2024 12:09 pm  #12

For Mace & Mic 'Em:

January 1, 2024 4:01 pm  #13

Well, I actually managed to stay awake !  After watching KC beat Cincinnati in NFL , I flipped between the CBS Nashville country show which featured the well known country band Lynrd Sknyrd at midnight, and the CNN offering with Anderson Cooper playing the straight man to the irritating Andy Cohen. During the boring parts and commercials, I watched The battle of The Five Armies , the conclusion to the Hobbit trilogy I hadn't seen before. Nothing like some good old Peter Jackson CGI violence to set a festive mood. Happy 24 . 

January 1, 2024 4:59 pm  #14

I was in the car last night for a bit and caught some of Virgin Radio's New Year's Eve show.  Very well done, the hosts were  doing a lot of breaks and didn't just play super long music sets with no talking.  Also good interaction with listeners across the country with on air calls and texts.  Music was interesting and perfect for a NYE party, what I heard.  

January 2, 2024 8:45 am  #15

Jazz FM91 aired a vintage New Years Eve broadcast from 1946 featuring big band performances. I’m not too sure that it was originally live as the applause seemed a bit canned but I listened for a while as it was entertaining! Then I watched tv…..