sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 22, 2023 12:35 am  #1

For those who like Christmas music

Generally I like Christmas music. There are thousands of songs by thousands of artists spanning the history of recorded music. Problem with most of today's stations is the narrow play lists that result in way too many repeats.  For those who appreciate some variety tune to CJBQ 800 Am Belleville this Sunday December 24 from 13:00 - 17:00 as Jim Wright will be playing all Christmas music. He always presents a wide variety. Expect a lot of cancon. I will be recording this on my mini-disc recorder. I am reasonably sure he is live on this show.

Their stream is decent sounding stereo too.

https://www.cjbq.com/player/?playerID=1711

Last edited by darcyh (December 22, 2023 12:31 pm)

December 22, 2023 12:07 pm  #2

Re: For those who like Christmas music

I like what CHUM is doing - throw in a few xmas songs here and there into the mix. 

December 24, 2023 1:44 am  #3

A bit of a shameless plug...my station is also playing back to back Christmas music all day on the 24th and the 25th...and a pretty good variety of it too, if I do say so myself! 

ClassicHitsOnline.com

Happy holidays everyone! 

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

December 24, 2023 10:44 am  #4

Here's a real rarity.  Did you know there was an alternate version of the classic Christmas tune "Jingle Bell Rock" on the charts at the exact same time as the famous Bobby Helms version? And you'll know the name of the artists who did it - Bobby Rydell and Chubby Checker. 

I'd never heard of this version before, but it not only made the CHUM Chart back in 1961, both reached #3.

So why is this recording never played while the more famous tune is? Somehow the Helms version became the official one and this rarely gets heard anymore. In fact, I can't recall it ever being on the radio here during the holiday. But both were big hits. 

December 24, 2023 11:47 am  #5

Back in the day a few stations took Christmas music seriously. CFCA would play the lush instrumentals of James Last. CKOT used to have some very god variety too. CKWR in its day also did a great job probably because of the CFCA former employees.

When I hear a station play Dick Nolan's "Good Old Newfie Christmas" I know they have a significant library of Christmas music. Merry Christmas to everyone

December 24, 2023 6:29 pm  #6

December 29, 2023 8:28 pm  #7

Siriusly Sinatra still has some Christmas music in their mix. I'd rather hear Christmas mucic for a few days after Christmas than six weeks before.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

December 30, 2023 10:02 am  #8

turkeytop wrote:

Siriusly Sinatra still has some Christmas music in their mix. I'd rather hear Christmas mucic for a few days after Christmas than six weeks before.

It is the six plus weeks before that makes me glad that Christmas music is pretty much gone early Boxing Day.

December 30, 2023 10:10 am  #9

mace wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

It is the six plus weeks before that makes me glad that Christmas music is pretty much gone early Boxing Day.

I just don't listen to any Christmas music before Dec. 21

Last edited by turkeytop (December 30, 2023 10:10 am)

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

December 30, 2023 11:20 am  #10

WBTI 96.9 Lexington MI will play Christmas music to New Years day.