sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 28, 2023 4:37 pm  #1

TVO Documentary On Record Collectors Turns The Tables On Obsession

There's a TVO documentary airing on the network on Thursday, Jan. 4th that is either fascinating, boring or completely insane. And maybe, all three. It's called "Records" and it's totally focused on the often obsessive people who collect records as a hobby - and sometimes more. 

These people don't just acquire vinyl. They endlessly search for obscure artists you've never heard of and then keep the discs they find as if they were buried treasure. The walls of their homes and condos are literally covered with shelves filled with (mostly) rock records and those great old fashioned album covers that are now increasingly lost to time. 

It's not a film that's for everybody. But what I can say is that these guys and gals come from all walks of life and don't fit into any specific niche. (Except a lot of them seem to have a penchant for sporting a ton of tattoos.) 

In any event, if this sounds like something that might interest you, "Records" airs next Thursday night at 9 PM, with a repeat at midnight. 

But the easiest way to see it is online and it's there right now. Even if you're just curious and only want to watch the first few minutes, you can check out this admittedly odd documentary here. 

December 28, 2023 6:09 pm  #2

Re: TVO Documentary On Record Collectors Turns The Tables On Obsession

I'm setting my PVR, thanks!

December 28, 2023 6:15 pm  #3

I've been anticipating seeing this one, so thanks for the heads-up. As the link mentions, its a sequel to Zweig's "Vinyl" from 2000. That original can be seen at an official link here and is fascinating in itself:

December 29, 2023 8:43 am  #4

Sounds interesting, set to record! Thanks for sharing RA.

December 29, 2023 9:42 am  #5

I used to enjoy crate-digging at record shows. The ongoing vinyl craze has priced me out though.

December 29, 2023 9:56 am  #6

Chrisphen wrote:

I used to enjoy crate-digging at record shows. The ongoing vinyl craze has priced me out though.

It's funny.  I used to hate the 90s and early 2000s because of the near extinction of LPs.  Truth is though, I used to have near mint thrift finds of 25 cents per LP.  Dr Disc in Hamilton used to carry 12" singles and lots of dance and R&B stuff.  And jukebox 45-rpm discs were still abound to be ordered online.

Yes, you had to go to boutique stores to get most newer stuff, but the quality was pretty good between 1991 and 2006.  Now the prices for new and used are insane, but also, I no longer have the stamina to sift through rows and rows of LPs.

Last edited by Jody Thornton (December 29, 2023 9:57 am)

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

December 29, 2023 1:54 pm  #7

I once found an almost mint condition LP of the Yardbirds Over Under Sideways Down in a Record on Wheels delete bin. I know it had to be the original cover because in the top right corner was published "Record Retailers: File under Top Teen Hits"