sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 18, 2023 12:33 pm  #1

This Would Be Enough To Get Even A Die Hard Like Me To Abandon OTA TV

This article is from a U.S. website, but it's still pretty disturbing. It indicates that the FCC has set a deadline for converting ATSC 1.0, the current TV standard, to 3.0 or what they call NextGenTV, by 2027. An increasing number of stations in the U.S. are testing the new standard, while maintaining their old signals, including the group on Channel 49 in Buffalo. 

This may not mean a lot to everyone, but if you remember having to buy a new set when the conversion to HDTV happened, then you're probably not going to be crazy about doing it all over again. But unlike that seismic event - you could still watch regular over-the-air television - 3.0 would give broadcasters the ability to prevent you from recording their shows for later viewing. 

That would theoretically mean having to be in front of your set at 8 PM to watch "Chicago Med" on NBC, or not be able to see it at all - and by extension, having to pay for it on a streaming service. And you couldn't "tape" one show while watching another in the same time slot. So while NextGen takes us into the future, it might actually succeed in taking us backward to the 60s, when you saw a show when it was on or you waited for summer reruns. 

I never want to go back to those days and I suspect I'm not alone. It's just not worth it for a supposedly improved picture, sound and interactivity.

And it would also obsolete your DVR, likely forcing you to buy yet another new piece of equipment. (I own an OTA-only DVR and it's a great machine that I use all the time.) And unlike the spokesperson quoted in the linked article, I've never heard a single viewer anywhere ask for  "...4K, high dynamic range, which is now available for video, better audio quality, and interactive services."

And most know it won't benefit consumers in the long run.

"Consumer Reports electronics editor James Willcox said that NextGen promises big upgrades for over-the-air TV. But he fears that stations could use digital rights management to limit viewers’ ability to time delay shows or save recordings, something they have been doing for decades, first with videocassettes and later digital video recorders.

“It is giving broadcasters technological capabilities that they didn’t have up until now. That’s a concern, and consumer groups are watching to see what happens with it,” Willcox said." 

The article indicates it's expected the FCC will never allow the 2027 deadline to arrive without extending it. But they should just leave it alone. I haven't heard anyone being unhappy with their HD experience. Sometimes progress can be a giant step backward. 

Broadcasters face challenges in major upgrade to over-the-air TV

December 18, 2023 12:38 pm  #2

Re: This Would Be Enough To Get Even A Die Hard Like Me To Abandon OTA TV

RadioActive wrote:

This article is from a U.S. website, but it's still pretty disturbing. It indicates that the FCC has set a deadline for converting ATSC 1.0, the current TV standard, to 3.0 or what they call NextGenTV, by 2027.

Again, no.

The FCC is not mandating a shutdown date; rather they're mandating 1.0 stay on until at least 2027.

Television stations eventually plan to shut off their first-generation digital transmitters, but the Federal Communications Commission is requiring them to continue transmitting signals in the old format, known as ATSC 1.0, through mid-2027.

December 18, 2023 12:45 pm  #3

Which implies to me that stations can shut down their 1.0 if they want. That, to me, would be suicide, but if there's enough incentives for them to do it from advertisers and rights owners, they just might bite. And that's what worries me. OTA is already on the decline. This would just speed that up.

December 18, 2023 12:52 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

Which implies to me that stations can shut down their 1.0 if they want.

Yes, but if they do, it will be because they're moving to streaming, not 3.0. Going exclusively to 3.0 for OTA would kill the majority of whatever's left of the OTA audience by 2027.

December 18, 2023 2:30 pm  #5

When I got a refurb Sony TV from MTC, it had Nexgen.  I haven't changed the country to the US from Canada yet to test if I can even get Buffalo in ATSC 3.0.  Maybe I should.

All of these potential restrictions will just lead to an increase in piracy.. the exact thing they would like to avoid.

December 18, 2023 3:06 pm  #6

pinto wrote:

When I got a refurb Sony TV from MTC, it had Nexgen.  I haven't changed the country to the US from Canada yet to test if I can even get Buffalo in ATSC 3.0.  Maybe I should.

All of these potential restrictions will just lead to an increase in piracy.. the exact thing they would like to avoid.

If you do get around to it, I'd be curious to know if it's really a huge improvement or about the same more or less as HD. I wasn't aware you had to change country of origin just to see an OTA channel from across the border. First I've heard of that. 

December 18, 2023 3:19 pm  #7

They will probably have inexpensive USB dongles with 3.0 tuners like a Roku that you can plug into your non 3.0 TV to get 3.0. It's all digital. By then practically all TVs will be smart TVs. I think that they will probably extend the deadline. They said AM radio is going away. It's still here. I have a 3.0 tuner. The picture and sound are better than 1.0 and the signal is more stable. The only problem is the encryption on some stations. The reason why North America went digital for TV was because the cellular companies wanted more frequencies and analogue was hogging up the bandwidth. Digital requires less bandwidth.

Last edited by canam2021 (December 18, 2023 3:29 pm)

December 18, 2023 3:26 pm  #8

canam2021 wrote:

The only problem is the encryption on some stations.

And THAT is my biggest concern. Although I'm willing to bet someone will come along and start selling a decryption system that will defeat it. It's happened all the way back to C-Band satellite, when they first tried to start this insanity up. I'm sure there will eventually be a way to bypass it, although it might take a while.

Best way is not to even start it at all. 

By the way, I'm curious - which of the OTA services you can see on 3.0 is encrypting their signal?

December 18, 2023 3:31 pm  #9

WGRZ NBC 2 and WKBW ABC 7. I get WIVB 4, WUTV 29 and WNYO 49 in the clear

Last edited by canam2021 (December 18, 2023 3:39 pm)

December 18, 2023 3:43 pm  #10

So two of the four American network affiliates (NBC & ABC) are encrypting their signals? What a great way to tell viewers they're appreciated and invited to tune in. What's the point of running a free Over-The-Air station if people can't see it? This whole thing makes no sense to me. 

They're gearing up to kill the Golden Goose.

December 18, 2023 3:58 pm  #11

@RadioActive I have read on TV sites that changing the country on the TV allows for ATSC 3.  That said, nothing is different right now out of Buffalo.  Will keep ya posted when I get around to it.  So many channels I need to "edit out" LOL.  The shopping channels and all that other stuff on the subcarriers...

The other thing I have lread is that the Sony TV's are supposed to be able to decrypt the channels if needed.  No idea yet.

Last edited by pinto (December 18, 2023 3:59 pm)

December 18, 2023 4:13 pm  #12

Thanks. I'll look forward to what you find. 

December 18, 2023 4:20 pm  #13

I can't see Next Gen TV coming to Canada. Bell and Rogers would love to see OTA as we know it, just whither and die. They would be quite happy to keep their customers wired to cable.

December 21, 2023 10:53 am  #14

Every time I get assurance that this isn't going to be a thing, I read something like this: 

The National Assn. of Broadcasters in the U.S. is staging a big campaign for a total NextGen conversion down south, hoping to leverage its capabilities to fatten their wallets. They're now openly decrying the "wasteful" duplication of having to keep 1.0 signals on the air and are urging the FCC to mandate a time when every American TV station has to switch to the new standard.

"In January the National Association of Broadcasters warned that ATSC 3.0 transition was in peril, and with it broadcasters’ future calling on the FCC to phase out the "wasteful" ATSC 1.0 simulcast requirement. 

Nexstar Media Group CEO Perry Sook and other top broadcast group executives met with FCC chair Jessica Rosenworcel and other commissioners and staffers to stress that the “stalled transition” represents an existential threat to free, over-the-air broadcasting.

For one thing, NAB pointed out that 4K HDR is growing across other platforms and will soon be little more than table stakes to play in the video game. They called for a firm plan for phasing out the “wasteful dual transmission in both ATSC 1.0 and ATSC 3.0.”

And yes, I know this isn't mandatory - yet - and may never be. I can only hope when consumers hear they may be forced to upgrade their TVs all over again, the uproar will stop this lobbying in its tracks. 

ATSC 3.0: Everything You Need to Know About the Broadcast Industry's 'NextGen' Technology Standard

December 21, 2023 11:52 am  #15

Stations that are on ATSC 1.0 and broadcasting in 720p or 1080i and have added ATSC 3 aren't doing anything spectacular with the new 3.0  At least in Buffalo.  I'm going to reset the Sony to the mighty US over the holidays and rescan and see if I can get any of the 3.0 Channels and if so, can the TV decrypt them...

Last edited by pinto (December 21, 2023 11:52 am)