sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 17, 2023 5:07 pm  #1

Pluto TV One Year Old

It's been a year since Pluto TV launched in the Canadian market.  The ad supported service is free, and they claim over one billion total viewing minutes per month. Over the past year Pluto has also added over 50 new channels to the service.  More from Broadcast Dialogue..https://broadcastdialogue.com/tv-film-news-169/

December 17, 2023 6:47 pm  #2

Re: Pluto TV One Year Old

Pluto and Tubi are good for some movies and my fix of classic television.

I don't really consider modern broadcast television to be much worth watching.  News programs are cut back to the nth degree, and modern shows' content is hobbled by regulators.  The only guilty pleasure might be those home buying shows, like Lakefront Bargain Hunt.  Streaming is where it's at.  For movies and modern show, free television just CANNOT compete.

I also find that YouTube can be a wealth of very watchable content.  Channels like The Slow Travels Family, Skylabs Audio, Techmoan, Technology Connections and who knows what else, fills all of my specific interests.  My girlfriend has her own like the Cottage Fairy and Dominique Sacse that she enjoys.  This is the future of TV.  Ordinary people doing videos targeted towards genres and interests.

You almost wonder why in 2023, a linear broadcaster goes to the trouble of erecting a tower in Clappisons Corners to generate an on-air signal. Beats Me!

Last edited by Jody Thornton (December 17, 2023 6:48 pm)

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

December 17, 2023 7:36 pm  #3

All of these streamers and new services have someone watching them.  And this means less and less for OTA.  The article says that Pluto is getting over one billion minutes of total viewing minutes per month in Canada.  That may not be a huge number of viewers, but it is one billion minutes  that are no longer being viewed on traditional TV.  And this is only one smaller new service.  Look at all of the video and streaming available now, and more to come.  

December 18, 2023 9:32 am  #4

So much for "Canada's Premiere F.A.S.T. Channel" network.

Total no-show in '23. I never once received an email of their progress.

They do claim now that they're launching in Jan '24.

https://www.jointvnetwork.com/faq/ 

Last edited by DeepTracks (December 18, 2023 9:33 am)

December 18, 2023 11:47 am  #5

I find Tubi's ad load to be fine, Pluto can push my tolerance but Plex is worse than traditional TV