sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 16, 2023 7:01 pm  #1

Solar Flares Interrupting Radio Signals On Earth

I keep reading and re-reading articles about how some of the largest solar flares from the sun ever recorded are playing havoc with Earth radio signals. I'm assuming this doesn't apply to the AM or FM spectrum, because every time I see these articles, my reception, even on DX, is fine. 

Someone here must know - which part of the spectrum are they talking about?

Radio communications on earth knocked out by powerful solar flare 

December 16, 2023 7:09 pm  #2

Re: Solar Flares Interrupting Radio Signals On Earth

Prior to the commencement of the current solar cycle, the experts were predicting it would be one of the weakest cycles ever. That prediction has been proven wrong.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

December 17, 2023 11:56 am  #3

Solar flares primarily impact the medium wave to higher frequency bands. AM radio falls in the Medium wave spectrum (300 kHz to 3 MHz). Shortwave radio, ham bands and others are in the high frequency band (3 – 30 MHz).

When the effects of the flare first reach the earth, if the flare is strong enough, the bands can be wiped out immediately. I remember one day listening on one of the ham bands how a very busy band quickly faded into total silence. Some bands can go silent, while others can be very noisy static. Again depending on the strength of the flare, regular reception can return in as little as half an hour, other times much longer.

Also after a flare has ionized the ionosphere, there can be amazing DX/skip on many of the bands including VHF which includes our FM radio band.

If you are at all interested, here is a link to a site that I like to visit - https://spaceweather.com

Last edited by alangee (December 17, 2023 12:40 pm)

December 17, 2023 12:36 pm  #4

I am not into DXing that much but yesterday in the car I was getting 960 Mississauga clearly in Kitchener.  I have never been able to tune in that station off air.  Also 1600 radio New York was coming in fairly clear.  The station called themselves the Black Information Network.  When I was listening to them it was about 2:00-2:15 in the afternoon. 

December 17, 2023 11:31 pm  #5

paterson1 wrote:

I am not into DXing that much but yesterday in the car I was getting 960 Mississauga clearly in Kitchener.  I have never been able to tune in that station off air.  Also 1600 radio New York was coming in fairly clear.  The station called themselves the Black Information Network.  When I was listening to them it was about 2:00-2:15 in the afternoon. 

It was very recently IDed in the Chicago area...